• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Roland FR-1x growling noise.

AdamJoseph

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have not played my fr-1x in a few years. I typically play my acoustic or fr-4x. I decided to break it out for some fun. Some of the treble keys are making a strange growling noise. I did a global reset and this did not help. Any thoughts?

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Adam,
"Some of the treble keys are making a strange growling noise. "
Curly virtual-leather valves?🤫

Last edited:

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is the growl identical on every register setting and sound?
Just as an experiment, if you pitch shift up as high as possible, does the pitch of the growl go up?

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not just the weirdness, but your entire keyboard is remapped, the 3rd being the "growl", the 2nd note is way off from the 1st!

And you say that a complete factory reset does nothing? If that is a factory reset, it may be time to send it in to a Roland repair center.

Keymn

Reaction score
You say you have not played the Fr1x for a while? How long was it sitting idle?
could it be dirt in the contacts? I would have that inspected first by a reliable source…

oldbayan

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some settings are not reset when doing a factory reset! Something may have happened to the board memory.
I would manually check the settings (pages 45 and following) one by one, something may have happened to the circuitry (electro magnetic interference?) that has set some options.

Have you tried updating it to the latest release?

AdamJoseph

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great idea. If that doesn’t work I will send it in for repairs. There is a Roland repair shop about an hour away.