• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Free Bass vs Converter Accordions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geronimo post_id=60042 time=1528708121 user_id=2623 said:
However, searching for Galla-Rini leads to Anthony Galla-Rini, an influential American accordionist of Italian ancestry. So I may end up having to eat my words. Not that this would be a first.
In my search engine extract, his feats appear like those of an accordion superhero:

Attachments

• galla-rini.png
    galla-rini.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 374
debra post_id=60045 time=1528714502 user_id=605 said:
[...
Oh, I dont think thered be much of U.S. invention with regard to accordions going on, but its my impression that Titano was by far the strongest marketer of the quint bass...

Titano accordions were made by Victoria (in Castelfidardo) for decades. There is nothing american about Titano.
I disagree. From their webpage:
The firm originated with Ed and Dorothy Traficante in Minneapolis, Minnesota, who sought a quality instrument line to offer in their Traficante chain of music schools, which required accordions designed for trouble-free music education.

In 1965, Ernest Deffner purchased the Titano Accordion Company and gave the task of redirecting its scope to his wife, Faithe Deffner, who had a solid background in publicity and public relations as well as working knowledge of instrument design and performance requirements. Over the years, the Ernest Deffner firm expanded the line, worked to develop accordion study programs at universities and colleges, and made great strides in broadening the Titano channels of distribution.

North American distribution grew substantially through a network of the foremost music schools and teachers serviced by the Deffner firm. Canadian sales mushroomed through the efforts of Fred Kent who operated Mid-West Musical Instruments of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, with his partner, Loren Cartwright. Titano quickly became the leading brand in the countries where it was sold.
Does this sound like a company and brand that has nothing American about it?
I learned (from reputable source) that Victoria used to actually make many more Titano accordions than Victoria accordions.
Well, accordions dont fall from trees and I never claimed that Titano was an American manufacturer of accordions. But their brand and marketing focus as well as the company heads responsible for it were in the U.S. I dont actually know any made in U.S. accordions but there was a flurry of importers with import brands and Titano was among the most idiomatic and doing significantly more than just relabelling some accordions they had no clue about. That they worked with strong manufacturing partners outside of the U.S. is not exactly a secret.

Geronimo post_id=60047 time=1528715610 user_id=2623 said:
debra post_id=60045 time=1528714502 user_id=605 said:
[...
Oh, I dont think thered be much of U.S. invention with regard to accordions going on, but its my impression that Titano was by far the strongest marketer of the quint bass...

Titano accordions were made by Victoria (in Castelfidardo) for decades. There is nothing american about Titano.
I disagree. From their webpage:

OK, I should have said: there is nothing american about Titano accordions. The website actually confirms this: the american company Titano had accordions produced in Italy (by Victoria, but they dont say that, and it is no longer true either).

debra post_id=60059 time=1528733601 user_id=605 said:
OK, I should have said: there is nothing american about Titano accordions. The website actually confirms this: the american company Titano had accordions produced in Italy (by Victoria, but they dont say that, and it is no longer true either).
Well, the U.S. president has announced his intent to reduce the trade deficit by closing down U.S. markets and letting U.S. workers sell their products more, so we are bound to see more accordions produced rather than merely marketed in the U.S. Its really unfair how few of the made in U.S. accordions are actually getting sold in Europe as opposed to the reverse.

I didn't see any chords being played in the vids, so, Is Quint found on converters? Or straight Quint (the 8 row models?) only?
Waldo.
EDIT: Answered my first question by reading further. But, what about the 8 row models?

WaldoW post_id=60064 time=1528746553 user_id=1663 said:
I didnt see any chords being played in the vids, so, Is Quint found on converters? Or straight Quint (the 8 row models?) only?
Waldo.
EDIT: Answered my first question by reading further. But, what about the 8 row models?
Well, 36 notes is not really impressive for a free bass. Thats less than in the treble. So Im not surprised at the 8-row models (48 is still about an octave less than a typical free bass) but have no idea what the buttons will deliver in Stradella mode.

short fragment showing you can do a lot with few buttons

Interprétation Bach sur Accordeon ThierryB modèle Snooopi Fish 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back