• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Free bass and converter

Marta

Reaction score
Hi, I am doing some research in relation to the beginning of the free bass and the converter. We know there were various instruments beforehand. The question is : was it indeed Sterligov who invented the converter (1929) ? If yes, where is his patent? Also , what is Frank Nardone's patent (1927) about, if someone could please explain in simple words? US17882627A . Many thanks. Marta

Hi Jim,
Many thanks for these videos. They are very helpful in understanding the working mechanics of the free bass system.
I am familiar with this. I am currently trying to establish a more of a historical question: who really invented the converter?
I have gathered and attached some patents in relation to free bass system. However, the notion in my sources is that it was Pyotr Sterligov who invented the converter for the first time and constructed the Bayan we know today in 1929. I watched a video from the Accordion Museum in Moscow on YouTube and the presenter did not mention the invention of the free bass system by Sterligov. I am trying just looking for the proof that he did. There is no patent by Sterligov online ? At the moment I only have a proof that it was Hohner who invented the converter.

Also, does anyone happen to have a PDF of the Damian's patent from 1829 please?

Many thanks for your help. I am truly grateful.

Best wishes,

Marta

Back