• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

FR1x - Dallape expansion glitch(?)

EuroFolker

Reaction score
Hey friends,

I recently got my new FR1x. First impressions are that is more playable than I expected, also more complicated interface than I hoped.

I have installed the Dallape and Orchestral sound expansions, in memory locations 1 and 2, respectively.

When I copy any of the Dallape sets (from 1945 on) to User Set 1/2 (out of 4, I put some Orchestral sets in 3/4) on the bass side the chords rows always sound an octave higher, and generally lighter, than the bass rows.

I tried adjusting what I could in the editor (just the option to adjust the volumes).

If I copy the bass side from another set (say Jazz), then it sounds as expected (bass / chords sound matched) but hopefully with your help I can figure out the Dallape expansion so it all sounds nice and balanced.

OK
I thought when I had my FR1XB the Dallapé extension sounds were structured differently and not compatible on the 1X.
From memory only the Alpine worked at the time. But that was a while back when the 8X came out.
Or maybe I just misremembered.
Anyway, sorry to have raised a hare for nothing.
I'm sure you'll really enjoy yours - I miss mine.

Strangely, even though it arrived to me factory sealed, out of the box it was set for a 3 row bass system.

It was very confusing as the note assignment was also different. After a factory reset it defaulted to Stradella.

It will be a learning curve. But I like it so far.

The same editor is used on the 7X, 3X and 1X and both MAC or PC should work equally well. If I recall, though, not all versions permit "live" changes.

DallapeBass.JPG
Tried changing the volumes, but that does nothing for the chords which sound an octave higher than the bass rows.
Oh well.

ok wait a sec..

you don't understand what the numbers on the far left mean ?
8-4
and the on or off "switches" next to them ?

just turn the 8' off (off) and you won't hear it anymore
turn the 16' on (bass) and you will hear it

they represent the pitch range of the reedset,
and the status as they sound in solo or blended pitches
and then the fine adjustments (which do not have an affect in "off" sections)
volume is relative, and only useful when more than one pitch is "on"

These are the defaults. The “classic” and all others sound “normal”, the Dallapes chords sound an octave higher. Same settings.

These are the defaults. The “classic” and all others sound “normal”, the Dallapes chords sound an octave higher. Same settings.

Did you try what @Ventura suggested?

In your screenshot the chords ARE one and even two ocatves higher than the bass.

Bass = 8' + 4' + 2'
Chords = 4' + 2'

On the other hand this is probably how I would expect the left hand to sound.

Or are you saying that the chords sound even MORE than one octave higher than the lowest chord note?
And what happens if you dial in...

Bass = 8'
Chords = 8'

Does that sound better regarding the tonal range? Bass and chords probably sound thin this way but you can add more reeds later.

Sounds an octave higher than all the other accordions with the same settings. Including the Alpine expansion. If I replace the bass side with another set, but keep the treble side Dallape, then it sounds as I’d expect. The Dallape sounds like falsetto 😀

Sounds an octave higher than all the other accordions with the same settings. Including the Alpine expansion. If I replace the bass side with another set, but keep the treble side Dallape, then it sounds as I’d expect. The Dallape sounds like falsetto 😀

I think I now understand. So the reed category names are wrong/misleading.
And what happens if you configure the register to sound one octave lower?

Bass = 8' + 4' + 2' (like it is now)
Chords = 8' + 4' (one octave lower for both reed sets)

I think I now understand. So the reed category names are wrong/misleading.
And what happens if you configure the register to sound one octave lower?

Bass = 8' + 4' + 2' (like it is now)
Chords = 8' + 4' (one octave lower for both reed sets)
Will try this afternoon and update the thread, thanks.

Tried the suggestions.

In the end, copying the bass side from another set seems to work best.

Probably nothing abnormal, and I just don't like the way the bass side of the Dallape expansion sounds.

Like listening to a shouty baritone (bass buttons) singing with the Vienna Boys Choir (chord buttons).

Dallape 2010 is what I use on Fr1x. The best sound for me. Need to look at what settings I have…post later…

Nothing to do with FR1x, now I have a FR4x which has the Dallape preloaded and the bass side still has the same (to my ears) annoying disbalance between the bass and chord buttons.

Ok you are swapping accordions faster than we can follow… lol
I think that what you perceived as annoying or an error was normal for that set. Moving forward please let us know what v-accordion you are referencing. 🤠

Last edited:
Back