• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Selective Transposing on Roland FR1X?

Joe ATX

Reaction score
On the Roland FR1X…When I am playing a song in User Program Mode and switch mid-song to another of the 4 treble registers…is there anyway to transpose only ONE of those four treble registers…and the other three would STAY in the original key? I'd like to add "interest" to a song by being able to transpose quickly in the middle of a song and then equally quickly go back to the same key in which I started the song. I think this is NOT possible on the FR1X? My impression from the manual is that EVERYTHING is transposed? Thanks for any thoughts/work-arounds!!! Joe

Now, I could be wrong but I don't think so. The 1X would be the one with the most restrictions. Heck I am not even sure the 8X could do this.

I do think it possible, as in UPG mode, the register buttons are used to choose between the four User Programs. If you are willing to "waste" a user program for this purpose, it should work.
Sincerely,
Simon

I have tried the "Transpose" function and it works on my FR-8X. The "Transpose" only changes the UPG that is modified. All the remaining UPG's remain unchanged. I can transpose from F# =-6 to F= +5, (C=0). When I did this, the "Transpose" changed all the notes in the right and left hand side of the accordion. I transposed my "Clarinet" UPG up to F=+5 and then saved the transposed UPG to another UPG Bank/register. Now I can transpose from "C" to "F" and then back to "C" with the press of a button. It does take up a UPG memory location, but the 8X has 1400 UPG memory locations, so this is not an issue. I am not familiar with the FR-1X so I don't know if it has this capability.

A HUGE THANKS to Jerry, Simon and John for their responses...and unfortunately, it seems NOT doable based on my "research"tonight.... though I may be overlooking something : )
The transpose feature seems "global" in nature. When I transpose ANY sound, it transposes EVERYTHING on the FR1X whether I am in User Program Mode/UPG or not. Whenever I am out of UPG and I transpose a sound and THEN have it replace one of the four treble registers used in User Program Mode (in this case both 4a AND 4b) the other three treble registers are transposed automatically as well : ( And when I am OUT of UPG mode every sound has automatically been transposed as well.
Sounds like, as you would expect, that the FR-8X allows greater options...as John has been able to accomplish this!
Thanks everyone....and it would be wonderful if anyone CAN make this work on the FR1X and let me know : )

On the Roland FR1X…When I am playing a song in User Program Mode and switch mid-song to another of the 4 treble registers…is there anyway to transpose only ONE of those four treble registers…and the other three would STAY in the original key? I'd like to add "interest" to a song by being able to transpose quickly in the middle of a song and then equally quickly go back to the same key in which I started the song. I think this is NOT possible on the FR1X? My impression from the manual is that EVERYTHING is transposed? Thanks for any thoughts/work-arounds!!! Joe
Now, I could be wrong but I don't think so. The 1X would be the one with the most restrictions. Heck I am not even sure the 8X could do this.
Jerry, thanks so much for your thoughts!!! I've just posted a general response as to what I've found out : )

I do think it possible, as in UPG mode, the register buttons are used to choose between the four User Programs. If you are willing to "waste" a user program for this purpose, it should work.
Sincerely,
Simon
Simon, thanks so much for your thoughts!!! I've just posted a general response as to what I've found out : )

I have tried the "Transpose" function and it works on my FR-8X. The "Transpose" only changes the UPG that is modified. All the remaining UPG's remain unchanged. I can transpose from F# =-6 to F= +5, (C=0). When I did this, the "Transpose" changed all the notes in the right and left hand side of the accordion. I transposed my "Clarinet" UPG up to F=+5 and then saved the transposed UPG to another UPG Bank/register. Now I can transpose from "C" to "F" and then back to "C" with the press of a button. It does take up a UPG memory location, but the 8X has 1400 UPG memory locations, so this is not an issue. I am not familiar with the FR-1X so I don't know if it has this capability.
John, thanks so much for your thoughts!!! I've just posted a general response as to what I've found out : )

Section 11 of the Owner's Manual lists the functions that are saved to the User Programs. Unfortunately transpose isn't one of them.

By the way, the four register tabs on the FR1x give you access to eight user programs by double pressing.

A HUGE THANKS to Jerry, Simon and John for their responses...and unfortunately, it seems NOT doable ......

....and it would be wonderful if anyone CAN make this work on the FR1X and let me know : )

well lets give this analog method a shot Joe..

first off, you have this desire/need/idea of switching keys on the fly which
means you have the DESIRE to accomplish this somehow, and so you are motivated
perhaps in a different way than in the past

so

pick one of the songs you think this jump would be valuable and fun to do
when you play it

now focus on the PHYSICAL PATTERN of your Bass throughout the entire song..
repeat and keep the focus on your physical left hand finger motions..

now play the song ONLY on the left side.. repeat.. repeat..
now just move your hand up to a different starting note and
REPEAT THE PATTERN

if that worked and you think you are hitting everything correctly on the Bass,
then just close your eyes and try playing the Melody along with it

hey, it's worth a shot !

good luck

natural transposition is admittedly easy for some of us, and seemingly impossible for others,
that's just the way it is..
but it does not necessarily have to be a life long condition

As the FR1 only has 12 rows of bass buttons, we are pretty limited in which keys we can play a song.

well lets give this analog method a shot Joe..

first off, you have this desire/need/idea of switching keys on the fly which
means you have the DESIRE to accomplish this somehow, and so you are motivated
perhaps in a different way than in the past

so

pick one of the songs you think this jump would be valuable and fun to do
when you play it

now focus on the PHYSICAL PATTERN of your Bass throughout the entire song..
repeat and keep the focus on your physical left hand finger motions..

now play the song ONLY on the left side.. repeat.. repeat..
now just move your hand up to a different starting note and
REPEAT THE PATTERN

if that worked and you think you are hitting everything correctly on the Bass,
then just close your eyes and try playing the Melody along with it

hey, it's worth a shot !

good luck

natural transposition is admittedly easy for some of us, and seemingly impossible for others,
that's just the way it is..
but it does not necessarily have to be a life long condition
Thanks!!!!! That is a wonderful idea/alternative and I’ll try it!!! Definitely more flexible/less “artificial” and helps with skill development…….Joe

Section 11 of the Owner's Manual lists the functions that are saved to the User Programs. Unfortunately transpose isn't one of them.

By the way, the four register tabs on the FR1x give you access to eight user programs by double pressing.
Thanks, Chris, very much…and I was making both A and B exactly the same user program so I could be sure “to get where I wanted to go“ no matter how many times I had pressed a register button…didn’t want to have to think “on the fly” whether I was in A or B mode….

Back