• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

26 keys / 72 bass (Roland FR1x) vs Palmer Hughes books

EuroFolker

Reaction score
Hello,

A small / lightweight accordion such as FR1x would be perfect to take to the accordion lessons.

(My current excuse for getting yet another accordion, lol)

Just wondering how far in the Palmer Hughes course books would a 26 / 72 accordion no longer have the needed range?

Thank you!

A yuuuuuge amount of the stuff in P-H Books 1 through 10 can be played on a 26/72. A ton of that stuff, including up through books 9 and 10, is folk or folk-based music you can work out for 26 keys on the treble as well as 72 basses. Tangos, gypsy/Hungarian, Ukrainian, all kind of great music totally playable on a 26 treble and 60 or 72 basses. I never want to look at or hear the "Clarinet Polka" or a John Philip Sousa March again. Ever. But there is some gorgeous world music in those books--I play stuff from Books 7 and 9 on small accordions all the time. And there's an awesome Ukrainian dance in Book 10.

On the treble side, you rearrange the spots that go above "High C," or below the "middle B" that is the lowest note on a 26. And you simplify the basses some when the piece is in keys where basses at the far right are doubled over at the far left for those keys.

Especially if your 26/72 has LMM. You can just flip on one of the registers that has the "L" reed in the mix and play low stuff that has notes you're missing on a 26. Like the L switch, the LM switch, or the LMM switch. But with your hand placed the next octave up where you do have enough notes. The low reed sounds an octave down, and nobody will know the difference.

Now, if you're aiming to take lessons or otherwise seriously learn all the technique through the P-H series, you'd probably want something with more treble reach and more bass reach. Yes, the more advanced grades call for 96 or 120 basses and 37-plus treble. But if you didn't want to go bigger, you could still make serious headway through most of those technique lessons on a 34/72. Or a 30/72.

Last edited:
Fantastic info, thanks! Like I mentioned elsewhere I have a brand new acoustic 41/120 and the Roland would be for convenience. Much easier to lug around at half the weight, when I take it with me to the weekly lessons.

I should add that a Roland 26/72 doesn't weigh any less than an acoustic 26/60 and if it weighed less than a 26/72 it would not be by much--difference would be negligible at best. If a jones for the digital experience is what's driving your GAS, that'd be one thing. But the weight/compactness factor doesn't give you anything over acoustic in that configuration.

Fantastic info, thanks! Like I mentioned elsewhere I have a brand new acoustic 41/120 and the Roland would be for convenience. Much easier to lug around at half the weight, when I take it with me to the weekly lessons.

I guess I might tack on here, that all teachers might not share my glib, cavalier attitude about the delights of small PAs and small CBAs. But facts are facts, and a bunch of the P-H music is totally doable on a 26/72.

I am assuming the series is intended for a 41-key right hand: 'Parade of the Tin Soldiers' in book 6 uses the low F and high A that are commonly the lowest and highest notes on such an instrument. One rather wonders if this series helped standardize those notes as the most common endpoints of a PA keyboard.

You will see individual notes with as-written ranges outside of a 26-key keyboard in book 4 (just move the whole song by an octave), and a piece that, as written, needs a range of 2 1/2 octaves at the beginning of book 5. But as already noted you can fix almost all of those problems by rewriting just a couple notes here and there.

It's not like there is any specific size of keyboard that will save you from ever having to rearrange a piece of music. With 49 treble keys on my CBA I play Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata in Bb minor instead of C# minor, and use the full 49-key range to play that long descending arpeggio at the end of the piece (the highest note in the original is an E).

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, PH book 2 introducws the 120 bass accordion.

It does, but it doesn't use the full range right away. You can get by with a standard 72-bass (with 34 RH keys), as written, all the way up to book five. And that's only because of the right hand. The left hand doesn't require more than 72 basses for a long time.

Back