• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Excelsior "Double O" 140 bass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hiya,
I spotted this online and I'm wondering how the 140 bass works: it's 7 rows of 20.

It's a 1950 model according to a receipt:

s-l1600.1.jpg

s-l1601.1.jpg

Typically (and I believe this one is a typical case) it means 3 rows of base notes (base, major third, minor third) and 4 rows of chords (major, minor, 7th, diminished). On the third row counting from the registers is a marked button (with a gem) so that should be the C base note indicating that this scheme is indeed the 3+4 I explained.

Cheers, I thought it was something like that.
So the row nearest the registers is an extra bass minor third row, and the other six make up the normal Stradella bass.

Glug,
I have a similar instrument, a late 60s early 70s Giuletti LMH, 41/140 PA, Mod. F74.
It's as Paul said. Starting from the bellows side: minor third, major third, fundamental bass, major chord, minor, seventh, diminished.
I got it because I liked the sound of it,?
The row of minor thirds is pure indulgence, since they could easily be played by reaching down with the little finger. But, as Balkan music uses quite a lot of them, it makes life easier, I guess!?
"So the row nearest the registers is an extra bass minor third row, and the other six make up the normal Stradella bass."
Yes?

Last edited:
It's on ebay for £200 (no bids) at the moment.

But I've got enough to play with anyway :)
I just hadn't seen a 140 bass Double O.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back