• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

My Grandfathers Excelsior

LC 74

Reaction score
I’m looking for information on this accordion. Trying to figure out the year and anything else about it as I don’t know much other than the maker. When I search “concert grand” only newer pieces come up. It was my grandfathers.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_7695.jpeg
    IMG_7695.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7696.jpeg
    IMG_7696.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7697.jpeg
    IMG_7697.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7698.jpeg
    IMG_7698.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7699.jpeg
    IMG_7699.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 31
Your grandfather's accordion was built between August and November of 1935. Excelsior was the top accordion manufacturer at that time. I think the Concert Grand was their top model at that time. It is still a very good accordion by today's standard, as it has very good handmade reeds. It was made in New York City. It is a treasure.

You can verify the date of manufacture because during the early and mid 1930s, Excelsior stamped the data of manufacture on their reed blocks. So, if you remove (pull) the 6 pins from the right-hand side of the bellows, you can separate the keyboard section from the bellows and see the exact date of manufacture.

You can verify the date of manufacture because during the early and mid 1930s, Excelsior stamped the data of manufacture on their reed blocks. So, if you remove (pull) the 6 pins from the right-hand side of the bellows, you can separate the keyboard section from the bellows and see the exact date of manufacture.
Thank you so, so much for this information! Wow 1935!!! Appreciate it greatly.

Back