• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Excelsior 320 - re -commission wrist coupler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Of my older insrtruments, I've got a 120 bass Excelsior 320 LMMM muti musette -
I bought with the full knowledge that the wrist coupler is 'decommissioned' - maybe not there, or tucked into the back.
I played it again today - lovely tone, great keyboard but feels bit too big for me - made my shoulder ache.
Everything else works pefectly, so not a big problem but I may get round to try and reinstate it. I don't know what would be involved as I haven't taken the back off to have a look. I'm guessing it stopped working at some stage to warrant decommissioning.

What might I need/need to do?

Well to start with Excelsior accordions with the 320 model # were made for many years by original Excelsior and then by different firms after the 70's. If you know the year of manufacture it would help, and if not pic's will be needed. Excelsior developed and patented the design in the 20's by the request of the Deiro Bros. and became so popular that other accordion makers provide it on their model's to this day. The basic and original wrist shift provided the performer to instantly open all the reed block slides with a simple push. Some makers provided multiple wrist shifts to open and close different reed blocks and combinations. And even the new type digital accordions use a wrist shift that is basically the same design but can be programmed to provide different electronic functions. Well enough of explanations and get back to your problem. First of all when depressed does the shift spring back ???

It doesn't stick out at all, Jim. I know something is there where it was but I'm not even sure it is the original coupler 'handle'.
As for year, modern version is the 1320? When did they change from 320 to 1320?
This looks quite early with metal mail bellow stops, 13 couplers & 'built by excelsior' tag on the back - condition other than the wrist coupler is very nice.

http://www.accordions.co.uk/secpicsviewdocs.htm/ExMulti.htm
Its like this - same chrome plastic name plate underlined. It was tarnished, so the girl at Excelsior sent me a replacement enamel one...for free - cos I took the trouble to ask for a replacement in Italian .. not that I can speak it, but I knew someone who could :)

Well if you don't know the year then lets determine what design you have. You will first have to remove the in most cases the vinyl covered cardboard backplate that is held on with 10 to 12 screws. Once the plate is off you will find the shift machine is part of the treble keyboard (on older models) or a moulded plastic shift machine (newer models). On the older design, problems result from screws becoming loose or broken springs. There should be two springs and they are not unlike the springs you find in a retractable ball point pen. If you have the moulded plastic shift machine it should be held on with four screws and in some cases can be repaired and in some cases might have to be replaced with a new unit. Take a look see which design you have (Pic's will help) and then we can expand on the repair solution.

Right - hold that thought... I'll need to charge some batteries for the camera..

OK Charged up & jobs done.

Sorry about the quality.

Attachments

• Excelsior Wrist Mech1.JPG
    Excelsior Wrist Mech1.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 1,267
  • Excelsior 320M.jpg
    Excelsior 320M.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Excelsior Wrist Mech4.JPG
    Excelsior Wrist Mech4.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 1,266
So the spring mech is there and appears to function - it moves the metal slider that goes thru' the back of the keyboard. The actuator/handle that usually sticks out, is either not all there, or a substitute to fill the space has been added. I'll guess the little post near the shift mech in the last pic is supposed to activate the master - but it doesn't - and I also guess it is activated by a bit of missing mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back