• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Does anyone make their own backing tracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm reluctant to add midi to my accordion, as I'm a little woman and don't want extra weight. However, I would like some subtle backing to add interest to playing.

Has anyone found backing track software useful? I'm thinking about Band in a Box. Has anyone tried it? Or would getting midi do the job better?

Cheers.

You want a live backing track that is generated or played while you play the accordion? Or you want to do something like multitrack recording, one of the tracks being some non-accordion backing track?
Multitrack recording can be a lot of work! I will let you in on a little secret: the recording of Fausts Waltzer at . In my recordings we tend to use only accordions (and sometimes drums and/or accordina), no other instruments. In general artificially generated instrument sounds by keyboards or software tend to be mediocre at best.

Irealpro is always worth a go for some simple to use backing track software...easier than band in a box...it's tedious and synthetic after a while for sure but better than just a metronome....just don't ask it to play a waltz ;)

For many years, I created all of the backup for my music partner and me, as we are a duo and needed some extra musical support. I have 2 of the Yamaha QY-100 music sequencers and built several hundred music sequences to back us. Our instrumentation varied from flutes, to guitar, accordion, banjo and mandolin. It allowed me to take rare and unknown tunes and adapt them for our musical situation. I connected the Yamaha QY-100 to a keyboard via the MIDI port and built the sequences. I really loved doing this and it gave our backup music that natural human quality and not something so rigidly michanicalized. We were the house band for 10 years in a large German restaurant and needed a big sound and a large repertoire, and this machine allowed us to do that. I could attach the sequencer to the keyboard at home and make new sequences, then detach the sequencer from the keyboard and transport it in a bag, without having to haul to keyboard around. I have had to downsize with weight due to a shoulder injury, so this is a good way to have a band that works cheap. Hope this info helps.

Thanks guys. I'm wanting to add a bit of rhythm, nothing too complicated, but do realise anything mechanical won't be as responsive as human players.

Im sincerely wondering... how much weight does MIDI really add? 1-2 pounds at most to the accordion? Is that something that really is beyond your ability to handle? At THIS link, they mention a MIDI module with hundreds of instruments is something like 8 ounces?

The problem is that to add a new MIDI to an accordion seems quite expensive, so if someone can either install it for free or you find an instrument with MIDI installed.

Then, there is always the option of using a reedless MIDI accordion.

Adding rhythm is easy, a good arranger can do that without MIDI or with it, do a lot more, for you. Again, its not something free, but this path lets you use it during live performances too, something that the computer/DAW method cannot do as easily or effectively.

Add midi and a Roland BK7m or a Ketron arranger and you have a full band all by yourself. :)

Multitracking is not all that much more difficult, but it can get tremendously time consuming especially if you are building it all from scratch yourself, but it is going to take again, more money, more hardware, more knowledge and time to get down but by that point, you are pretty much ready to produce your own tracks.

You are right, nothing beats a real human or 3 in a band, but you would be surprised at how good the most recent technologies are. :)

losthobos said:
Irealpro is always worth a go for some simple to use backing track software...easier than band in a box...its tedious and synthetic after a while for sure but better than just a metronome....just dont ask it to play a waltz ;)

Thanks, I had a look. Much cheaper than Band in a Box! But unfortunately doesnt seem to be available for Windows.

Kim...will work with bluestacks link....just google irealpro for windows....perfectly doable....but not joking about waltz time...has to be 4/4...can be swing, Latin whatever but software suffers in 3/4... Enjoy

If you are not using a Roland accordion with its own speakers you will need an amplifier system and a player to get any additional sounds. The amp is normally pretty heavy but at least you don't have to wear it.
You can get backing tracks from a youtube search to play around with.
I have band in a box and it can turn out a half decent mp3 backing track although the learning curve is quite steep if yo u want it to sound convincing. As I have a Roland I load the resultant mp3 onto a usb sick and pop it into the accordion. I can then start the track and play my part.

Getting started on irealpro - actually not too bad in 3/4 time! I'm just getting slightly annoyed with it behaving like a phone instead of a PC. I expect I'll get used to it, is it more interesting than practising with a metronome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back