• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Does anyone know this brand?

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone recognize the accordion brand pictured here? I don't see any markings on it except "made in Italy" and a model/serial number of 1128.
Thanks for any info,
Steve

Attachments

• accordion.jpg
    accordion.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
international 1128. Seriously, though, Steve, welcome! It's tough to determine the "brand" of an accordion like this because it is most likely a "student" accordion made for export in the "second half of the 20th century", possibly in parts by independent craftsmen (reed makers, woodworkers, etc.) under the direction of a "manufacturer" who put any number (or no) brand names. However, someone on here may recognize the combination of switch styles and grille enough to associate it with a specific "name." Do you play it? What kind of music do you play?

Last edited:
international 1128. Seriously, though, Steve, welcome! It's tough to determine the "brand" of an accordion like this because it is most likely a "student" accordion made for export in the "second half of the 20th century", possibly in parts by independent craftsmen (reed makers, woodworkers, etc.) under the direction of a "manufacturer" who put any number (or no) brand names. However, someone on here may recognize the combination of switch styles and grille enough to associate it with a specific "name." Do you play it? What kind of music do you play?
Thanks for the info. It actually belongs to a friend who wants to sell it on Ebay but we don't have enough info to post it.
I play guitar, not accordion, but maybe I'll try to learn since I don't think we'll be posting it.

Thanks for the info. It actually belongs to a friend who wants to sell it on Ebay but we don't have enough info to post it.
I play guitar, not accordion, but maybe I'll try to learn since I don't think we'll be posting it.
Most people who post accordions on eBay don't know what else to do. You, at least are starting to see the freight train at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

Well, I hope you learn to play it! Since all the basses and chords are neatly arranged, and you don't have to worry about intonation, accordion is one of the easier instruments to learn. Plenty of advice available here!

If you do plan to sell it, the most important thing to a perspective buyer is the state (quality) of the workings, since the accordion is ~ 50 years old. Ie: Do all the notes play independently? Is there any sound when no keys are pressed but the bellows move? Is there a case and straps? Is there any musty or bad smell? How may bass shifters are there? Do all shifters work smoothly? What is the length, edge of white key to other edge of white key?

Most difficult is determining the state of the "internals"? Are the leather flaps inside dry and curled? Is the wax inside brittle and cracked? Many sellers post pictures of the inside. (Ask here about how to open).

A "no name" student accordion like this, in playable condition, I would start at $150 - $175 in my location in Wisconsin. Your market may ne higher or lower.

Well, I hope you learn to play it! Since all the basses and chords are neatly arranged, and you don't have to worry about intonation, accordion is one of the easier instruments to learn.
We're on different planets! Ha! I can think of 1 instrument I've tried to play in the past 60 yrs that is more difficult than an accordion and that's a pedal steel guitar.....Trumpet, sax, clarinet, guitar, bass guitar...............triangle, tambourine.
Coordinating push-pull-left-hand-right-hand-reading ---- easy? Not!!! Fun tho' :)

We're on different planets! Ha! I can think of 1 instrument I've tried to play in the past 60 yrs that is more difficult than an accordion and that's a pedal steel guitar.....Trumpet, sax, clarinet, guitar, bass guitar...............triangle, tambourine.
Coordinating push-pull-left-hand-right-hand-reading ---- easy? Not!!! Fun tho' :)
Want difficult? Try violin/viola/chello... lol
Coordinating pushing/pulling - playing L/R hands and reading music... actually is not something that takes long time, but like ANY skill takes diligence, practice and effort. I have seen someone put on an accordion for the very first time and play "mary had a little lamb" in 30 minutes without mistakes (single note LH chords). A kid could likely do this in 15-20 minutes, but since this guy was 87, Id say that if they could do it, about anyone could! :D

It's not hard, and I would have to say that at a true beginner level, can be done in about 30 minutes. Getting GOOD on the accordion? Exactly the same amount of time/effort as most instruments. :)

Back