• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Czech songs #1 - Chodounska

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am playing with genres lately and released the first in the list of Czech songs. Created by Josef Poncar, Chodounska is a very popular song with the brass bands in that part of the world… this is my take of that very old favourite:

Next will likely be a waltz and of course a tango… at least that’s the plan… lol

Excellent playing and a super accordion. The bass is especially impressive.
It is great to see you make a video with an acoustic accordion and no backing tracks. Just my personal preference.
I am still waiting to see a video with your Gola...hint.

Good to see your new recording Jerry!

That is beautifully played and that Scandelli has a gorgeous tonality about it.
A few bars with the lids open would be of interest to me, too.

Thanks everyone!

It is great to see you make a video with an acoustic accordion and no backing tracks. Just my personal preference.
You know I mentioned the backing track thing to Piotr, but backing tracks can add a very nice aspect to any song (perhaps just not in an educational video where it can lead someone to think something will sound like your final result, when it cannot), that is no doubt, and I really enjoy using them either by using an arranger or creating multitracks but there is definitely nothing wrong with or without them, I like it all. I personally do not like doing it all the time, as one tends to then depend on them, if that is all that you do.

Gola video is coming once I get in to the "classical genre" section, maybe sooner, I am not quite sure, but for sure I will make many an enjoyable video with it!

Good to see your new recording Jerry!
Thanks Tom!

That is beautifully played and that Scandelli has a gorgeous tonality about it.
A few bars with the lids open would be of interest to me, too.
You know, I was originally going to make the video with the flaps open, it adds a little bit of a higher end tone that makes it sound very clean and adds to the right/left separation, but in the end I got up, had a nice breakfast, went downstairs to my basement and made 2 takes, the second one being the one that I chose and just completely forgot to open the flaps. I can live with that this time, but next time I will make sure to have them open.

Recording with external, floor-standing condenser mics is nice, the sound is amazing, but I think that now I am very much leaning towards liking the sound of a good set of installed mics. The issue with that is that those are WAY over-priced at around $1000 or more after installation... that's a lot of money!

Not that it's all that important, but I was playing with a different recording setup, this time I used a 9th generation ipad Pro (12.9" screen, the one I use as my control center and notation display when using the FR-8x), and a new/free camera app from Blackmagic Design that let me record in a huge Prores 422 HQ file and the audio was captured on my Zoom F4 from the SE4400a mics.

This is a very interesting setup, good for use in a more size restricted location, and I again learned something new from a technical sense, and I always enjoy that part too. I may return to my green screen after the Czech series is over, though, as it gives me more pleasing visual results, at least in my opinion.

What we see here is more than just a hobby or musical display and certainly it's more than just a good accordion. It's also more than crispy bass work, punchy bass solos and silky right hand technique. You see... Jerry really "gets" the accordion - it's engraved in his heart. Thank you Jerry for letting us glimpse into your culture and heritage and for showing us the music that matters to you. Awesome.​

I couldn't agree more, particularly regarding backing tracks.
e.g..Nothing puts me off more than purchasing a CD that doesn't say it has a backing track!

I am playing with genres lately and released the first in the list of Czech songs. Created by Josef Poncar, Chodounska is a very popular song with the brass bands in that part of the world… this is my take of that very old favourite:

Next will likely be a waltz and of course a tango… at least that’s the plan… lol
Here's another popular Czech polka for you, JerryPH. BTW, my last name is the Czech word for "soup". (-:

Here's another popular Czech polka for you, JerryPH. BTW, my last name is the Czech word for "soup". (-:

I knew… lol. I was just being polite and not mentioning it. Do you speak Czech? I was born in Canada but my mother tongue is Czech. The YouTube video is flagged as private, unfortunately.

I knew… lol. I was just being polite and not mentioning it. Do you speak Czech? I was born in Canada but my mother tongue is Czech. The YouTube video is flagged as private, unfortunately.
Mluvim trochu cesky. I realize now that I hadn't completed the YouTube publishing process. Please let me know if you can watch and hear it now.

Mluvim trochu cesky. I realize now that I hadn't completed the YouTube publishing process. Please let me know if you can watch and hear it now.
Krasné! Well done, now go and turn on those comments so people can add their praise ;)
BTW love the sound and look of your accordion. :)
I think that because of the videos and recent zooms, I really enjoy seeing the faces of our forum friends!

Krasné! Well done, now go and turn on those comments so people can add their praise ;)
BTW love the sound and look of your accordion. :)
I think that because of the videos and recent zooms, I really enjoy seeing the faces of our forum friends!
Those 1930's Excelsior Specials had a nice, bright sound. I have a few of them and they all sound just like the one in this video ... with just a slight amount of wetness in the tuning.

Jerry, the basses on your Scandalli sound great in your video. How were they mic'd? Did you use amplification (e.g., for the basses) in your video?

I used SE Electronics SE4400a mics recording in to a Zoom F4 at 192kb/24bit and yes I used some strong EQing. Mic placement is clearly seen in the video, I also used post processing tricks like during bass solos the track was centered and gently raised 3db. I don't think anyone missed the touch of reverb.

I have a basic recipe that remains the same for every song so the basics are the same from song to song, the tweaking is song specific and different. I believe that I posted a couple videos on how I post process my audio files here in the past.

Last edited:
Those 1930's Excelsior Specials had a nice, bright sound. I have a few of them and they all sound just like the one in this video ... with just a slight amount of wetness in the tuning.
Sorry, I wanted to reply earlier... is that really a 1930's Excelsior?? It looks brand spanking new! That musette is a bit more than a touch, but in a really good way! My Hohner Morino has a minimal musette that I had increased to around +.- 12 cents just to breath life in to anything not classical. :)

Sorry, I wanted to reply earlier... is that really a 1930's Excelsior?? It looks brand spanking new! That musette is a bit more than a touch, but in a really good way! My Hohner Morino has a minimal musette that I had increased to around +.- 12 cents just to breath life in to anything not classical. :)
Yes, it's an oldie, from December 1, 1932. Back in the 1930s, Excelsior stamped the date of manufacture on the reed blocks. That's why I can tell you an exact date. Its prior owner and friend of mine, the late Eddie Chavez (co-author of "The Golden Age of Accordion" book) had it completely refurbished before I acquired it. The reeds in it are excellent, great keyboard action, ... And it's very light ... less than 22 lb, which is great for a 4/5 accordion.

I am playing with genres lately and released the first in the list of Czech songs.
Here's another popular Czech polka for you, JerryPH.
My message to all forum members:
Both boys played it beautifully and very well! I really liked it.

And now my words for Jerry and Alan only:
Hrajete nádherně kluci! Ať Vám to vydrží i nadále a ať se Vám daří!
👏
Best regards, Vladimir

Back