• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Must to learn Russian songs on accordion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, gypsies are, honestly, a group nobody wants to be associated with.
Tread carefully here... we don't want to POTENTIALLY offend any board members. I'd just say that we stick to accordions, please.

In terms of "must learn" IMHO, there is no such thing. If you like it, play it. I am partial to listening to Kalinka, Volga Boatmen and other similar styles of music that reflect music that "discusses" the suffering of man. It is always poignant. :)

I just don't want any association with them. Gypsies often give a bad reputation to musicians, and especially accordionists.

I don't believe their bad influence in Russian music has been that significant, since it was mostly musicians of foreign countries in Russia who created that "gypsy" style by seeing what they thought were Russian folks living on the streets. Bad habits tend to be stickier than good ones.
Most of the Roma musicians I'm familiar with are so far beyond most of us, technically and artistically, that I'm fairly certain you could practice for 100 years and not survive for 5 minutes onstage with them.

Not Russian, of course, but under the circumstances ...πŸ™‚
I know him. He's incredible. I got to see him and Petar Ralchev in a duo when I performed at the Carrefour Mondial Accordion Festival in Quebec. If Popa is incredible, Ralchev is simply astounding. The seemingly effortless virtuosity and musicality of this man is like something superhuman. Anyone with the ignorance to state "Gypsies are an awful group that often give a bad reputation to musicians, and especially accordionists" is leading a musically impoverished, frankly pathetic existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back