• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Considering Roland

Just saw this used Concerto midi accordion for sale at a good price from a dealer. Seems similar to my Iorio/Elkavox. Should be simple to adjust to. What's your thoughts on Concerto Mod. 500.jpgthis? Only thing it does not have built in rhythms like my Iorio I series.

If the dealer is Accordions International, in Utah, it should be in good condition or refurbished. My guess, he is the only dealer that can service the Concerto, since he designed it. You may ask what generation it is. I believe (but not sure) they are now on the 3rd generation of Concerto. If it's an older generation the technology may be old -- maybe the digital accordion tone generator is not in the accordion. The acoustic accordion should be from a good Italian manufacturer. I think a brand new latest Concerto sells somewhere North of $20K.

If the dealer is Accordions International, in Utah, it should be in good condition or refurbished. My guess, he is the only dealer that can service the Concerto, since he designed it. You may ask what generation it is. I believe (but not sure) they are now on the 3rd generation of Concerto. If it's an older generation the technology may be old -- maybe the digital accordion tone generator is not in the accordion. The acoustic accordion should be from a good Italian manufacturer. I think a brand new latest Concerto sells somewhere North of $20K.
From Liberty Bellows. $3k. Looks like a separate tone generator. Accousti is Sem, same as my Iorio.

My 8X has also been very reliable. I would sure be lost without it. Additional note that Jerry mentioned some time ago:
Although, the manual says you can do it., don't have the 8X in the "ON" mode and have the battery charging at the same time. This is the maximum load on the 8X power supply with the possibility of damaging it. Why do it if you don't have to. Give the supply a break and reduce part of it's current load.
I have been using Rolands for over 10 years now and have found them to be very rugged and reliable ... far more so than an acoustic accordion with its huge number of mechanical parts. In fact, that's one reason I went with a Roland is because MIDI accordions were too unreliable for me. And a good thing about a reedless accordion is that, unlike a personal computer, you don't have to keep upgrading its OS every few years until the new OS's get too large and computationally intensive for the hardware to accommodate. A reedless accordion will always produce the same sounds it did when you bought it, without requiring endless new versions of OS, apps, etc.

The only caveat about the great reliability of the Rolands is in regard to the thick cable from accordion to foot pedal. I've had to replace the cable several times and they're very expensive.

From Liberty Bellows. $3k. Looks like a separate tone generator. Accousti is Sem, same as my Iorio.
I've bought several accordions from Liberty Bellows. They are a very good reputable dealer. They do have a service department. I bought a used 8X from them and they warranted it, I believe, for 6 months. Buy the Concerto and give it a try. I think, if you don't like it, you can return it for a full refund, within a certain time frame (7 days?). Give them a call. There is usually someone there to answer the phone and ask them all these questions so you know where you stand before you buy it.

Just saw this used Concerto midi accordion for sale at a good price from a dealer. Seems similar to my Iorio/Elkavox. Should be simple to adjust to. What's your thoughts on this? Only thing it does not have built in rhythms like my Iorio I series.
Make sure it comes with all the bells and whistles else its not worth much. It should have the TONE GENERATOR and foot pedals that come with it... but for $3000, I kinda doubt it... because new they are around $15,000. And no it will NOT come with a rhythm unit, it really is the evolution of the ELKA model 83 and should be easy to get used to.

My Accorgan is I series same as Elka S11. I like the included rhythms which is not on Concerto. What would I need to add rhythms with Concerto? I could just keep my Accorgan but I do need some work on it and can't find anyone to work on it. I don't gig much anymore, I am 74, just a couple of charity events a year and family parties for fun.

What would I need to add rhythms with Concerto?
An arranger like one of these:
- Roland BK-7m
- Ketron Programmer 24 (by now very legacy)
- Ketron X4
- Orla 300
- you could use a full external keyboard like a Korg PAxxxx series
... and many others.

The current king of arrangers is the Ketron SD-90, but it is very expensive.

My Accorgan is I series same as Elka S11. I like the included rhythms which is not on Concerto. What would I need to add rhythms with Concerto? I could just keep my Accorgan but I do need some work on it and can't find anyone to work on it. I don't gig much anymore, I am 74, just a couple of charity events a year and family parties for fun.
What repairs does your Accorgan need?

Thanks, but I don't think I need and arranger, I like to play my own bass runs. I need just a drum/ rhythm machine, something simple to use.

What repairs does your Accorgan need?
Just recently started grill lights going blank then coming back on with a waltz rhythm as I was playing a cha-cha.. I have to shut it off and turn back on will be ok for a little while then happen again. I was playing daily for the past 2 weeks and only did this once, now it is constantly cutting out. I really love the Accorgan I series, same as Elkavox S11. I have schematic. If I could find someone to repair this.

Just recently started grill lights going blank then coming back on with a waltz rhythm as I was playing a cha-cha.. I have to shut it off and turn back on will be ok for a little while then happen again. I was playing daily for the past 2 weeks and only did this once, now it is constantly cutting out. I really love the Accorgan I series, same as Elkavox S11. I have schematic. If I could find someone to repair this.
That is most likely just due to a loose wire or bad solder joint. Any good electronics repair person should be able to fix that. i.e., it shouldn't require somebody who specializes in accordions. They will need to be able to turn the electronics on, so they'll need the pedal or external box that plugs into the wall and connects to the accordion.

I have been using Rolands for over 10 years now and have found them to be very rugged and reliable ... far more so than an acoustic accordion with its huge number of mechanical parts. In fact, that's one reason I went with a Roland is because MIDI accordions were too unreliable for me. And a good thing about a reedless accordion is that, unlike a personal computer, you don't have to keep upgrading its OS every few years until the new OS's get too large and computationally intensive for the hardware to accommodate. A reedless accordion will always produce the same sounds it did when you bought it, without requiring endless new versions of OS, apps,
Maybe it was doing it all the time and I ignored it, but more probably the sound of the basses, on accordion tones, did change over time. What should have sounded like a multi-reed bass note changed to a single reed note if held for a fraction of a second. This was a SEM Ciao reedless.

On the other hand, my acoustic accordion with MIDI has the same tone generator chip with the same 400 sounds and Master Play MIDI as opposed to Ciao MIDI has not developed that problem after ten years.

I agree with you about Roland, however. They make solid products in terms of sound generation, although each model seems to have other weak points.

Maybe it was doing it all the time and I ignored it, but more probably the sound of the basses, on accordion tones, did change over time. What should have sounded like a multi-reed bass note changed to a single reed note if held for a fraction of a second. This was a SEM Ciao reedless.

On the other hand, my acoustic accordion with MIDI has the same tone generator chip with the same 400 sounds and Master Play MIDI as opposed to Ciao MIDI has not developed that problem after ten years.

I agree with you about Roland, however. They make solid products in terms of sound generation, although each model seems to have other weak points.
Yes, I just wish my FR-5s had more realistic bellows control. That's their one big drawback for me. But, I've gotten used to it ... except bellows shakes are very difficult.

In researching digital accordions I saw the Musictech digibeat, made in Italy and only 11.5 lbs and has built in rhythms. Brand new at Liberty $5995. I don't need built in speaker like Roland which makes it heavier but I do want rhythms. Appreciate any feedback on this.

In researching digital accordions I saw the Musictech digibeat, made in Italy and only 11.5 lbs and has built in rhythms. Brand new at Liberty $5995. I don't need built in speaker like Roland which makes it heavier but I do want rhythms. Appreciate any feedback on this.
11.5 lb ... that's great!

I have a couple of old Roland FR-5s because they do not have the built-in speakers and amplifier - I wanted something light weight (about 20 lb). Unfortunately, Roland doesn't seem to make a high-end model (like the FR-5) without speakers anymore. The FR-5 doesn't have any built-in rhythm, which is fine for me, because I wouldn't use it anyhow. That's about all I know to tell you.

*Almost* every Musictech owner I know has tried both Musictech and Roland and then sold the Musictech for the Roland.

*Almost* every Musictech owner I know has tried both Musictech and Roland and then sold the Musictech for the Roland.
What I like about the Musictech is the built in rhythms and the light weight, plus it appears simpler to use. I am not that tech savy.

Back