• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Comfortable play for learning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, what reputable accordion dealer you could recommend me in Toronto, only not Musical Instruments of Canada, they sold me the Lucia/Pirola piano accordion in not sufficient condition, and they repaired me quite bad my instrument last year?

Or how can I return this accordion after one year after repair and playing and change on another one?

And, is it better to do with a professional assistance or by myself?
Hi Yaroslav, nice to see you here. I live in Toronto and can tell you about two excellent accordion dealers. I understand your experience.

Anderson’s in Burlington is a very respected dealer. The owner is also extremely pleasant to talk to on the phone. Another excellent dealer is in Victoria, Martin at Tempo Music. Don’t worry about he being almost across the world,Martin ships everywhere around the world and you can’t imagine a kinder,more enthusiastic dealer than Martin. He has several videos online where he talks about picking out an accordion. I have spoken with him several times and I know someone who uses him all the time,he is incredibly honest and friendly.
Long and mcquade is useless for accordions. I live up the street.they don’t sell used accordions which is all a beginner needs.
I have known the only accordion teacher in Toronto for more than ten years. Like Martin she is very supportive of all of her students. She teaches at a school near queen street. But because of covid she has taken the year off. Both Martin and this teacher are the best people for students of the accordion. Highly professional and very supportive of new students.
I mention this every time a site like eBay comes up. My first accordion was from eBay and the buttons started popping out. The second time I bought online,I wanted a free bass,an even bigger disaster. The bellows didn’t work,never again. Any honest dealer will allow you to return the instrument if you aren’t happy and no reputable dealer will see you garbage.

Anderson’s in Burlington is a very respected dealer. The owner is also extremely pleasant to talk to on the phone. Another excellent dealer is in Victoria, Martin at Tempo Music. Don’t worry about he being almost across the world,Martin ships everywhere around the world and you can’t imagine a kinder,more enthusiastic dealer than Martin. He has several videos online where he talks about picking out an accordion. I have spoken with him several times and I know someone who uses him all the time,he is incredibly honest and friendly.
Long and mcquade is useless for accordions. I live up the street.they don’t sell used accordions which is all a beginner needs.
I have known the only accordion teacher in Toronto for more than ten years. Like Martin she is very supportive of all of her students. She teaches at a school near queen street. But because of covid she has taken the year off. Both Martin and this teacher are the best people for students of the accordion. Highly professional and very supportive of new students.
I mention this every time a site like eBay comes up. My first accordion was from eBay and the buttons started popping out. The second time I bought online,I wanted a free bass,an even bigger disaster. The bellows didn’t work,never again. Any honest dealer will allow you to return the instrument if you aren’t happy and no reputable dealer will see you garbage.

There are a lot of accordions that people own which are sitting unused looking for a new owner. For a beginner who is price conscious I suggested to Yaroslav to check Kijiji which is the local peer to peer buy and sell site. A week or so ago I spotted perhaps up to a half dozen instruments that were priced under $1000. I get the impression that Yaroslav is more focused on recovering the money spent on the previous accordion, but I feel that this may be unlikely to happen.
At this time Yaroslav must decide if it's worth continuing to pursue the dealer who sold him the current accordion or to write off the purchase and move on. If the current instrument was not sold "as-is" then perhaps he can file a court claim, otherwise there's not much that anyone can do. If he wants an instrument that's higher quality with a guarantee then the only way to proceed is to purchase from someone reputable like Anderson’s. Otherwise he has to take a risk and purchase used from a private seller.

I've seen a few accordions purchased this way in the past few years and most were not perfect but might serve Yaroslav's purposes. On a small budget it's unlikely to find a highly valuable accordion but rather one of the many older instruments that are no longer being played but not particularly of the highest quality. So go and decide what you want and how much you are prepared to risk.

I've purchased from Anderson's and find him to be honest and reputable. He won't take a low quality instrument for a trade in so he doesn't resell junk. I can't say the same for any other accordion dealer that is currently in business and best of all accordions are his main business. I've seen accordions for sale at other stores but they don't know the first thing about accordions and some of them were even on display upside down.

I've purchased from Anderson's and find him to be honest and reputable. He won't take a low quality instrument for a trade in so he doesn't resell junk. I can't say the same for any other accordion dealer that is currently in business and best of all accordions are his main business. I've seen accordions for sale at other stores but they don't know the first thing about accordions and some of them were even on display upside down.
I’ve never been to Keith’s store but I agree,I’ve heard wonderful things about him. I studied with a professional accordionist and he only used Anderson’s for his repairs. (Keith) Anderson would also lend him an instrument in an emergency for a gig if his needed repair.
Jaroslav it isn’t difficult to get to Anderson’s by the Go train. But I suggest you call in advance. Very pleasant fellow.If you prefer to keep your current instrument, I suggest you take it to Anderson’s for repair. He can’t be more than ninety minutes from Toronto by train.

There are a lot of accordions that people own which are sitting unused looking for a new owner. For a beginner who is price conscious I suggested to Yaroslav to check Kijiji which is the local peer to peer buy and sell site. A week or so ago I spotted perhaps up to a half dozen instruments that were priced under $1000. I get the impression that Yaroslav is more focused on recovering the money spent on the previous accordion, but I feel that this may be unlikely to happen.
At this time Yaroslav must decide if it's worth continuing to pursue the dealer who sold him the current accordion or to write off the purchase and move on. If the current instrument was not sold "as-is" then perhaps he can file a court claim, otherwise there's not much that anyone can do. If he wants an instrument that's higher quality with a guarantee then the only way to proceed is to purchase from someone reputable like Anderson’s. Otherwise he has to take a risk and purchase used from a private seller.

I've seen a few accordions purchased this way in the past few years and most were not perfect but might serve Yaroslav's purposes. On a small budget it's unlikely to find a highly valuable accordion but rather one of the many older instruments that are no longer being played but not particularly of the highest quality. So go and decide what you want and how much you are prepared to risk.
To be honest, I already have negative experiences with the Kijiji. I was cheated twice by not so honest dealers. One claimed to me that his accordion is in perfect condition. I came to him to check it and have seen that all keys, and bass buttons don't work, bellows have bad compression, and it smells terrible. The same things repeated the second time.
So, I will not buy any accordions from anybody without a professional assistance from a teacher or a repair man that represents my interests. I don't want to be a victim of people who wants to make money on a lie.

Last edited:
I decided entirely to return my current accordion to the store and ask for a refund, and then, go to Burlington to purchase a piano accordion in perfect quality with more switches for wide opportunities in learning purposes, to become more proficient accordion player, because I have always been wanted to learn an accordion since my childhood, as I like this instrument very much.

Furthermore, I want to learn to sing in tune.

Yaroslav,
Just remember, like new cars, new accordions too can experience teething problems right out of the box.?
So don't be entirely surprised if some warranty repairs should arise ?
( just make sure you're covered and for how long!)

I just not sure, Does the Anderson sale weltmeister used accordions?
And, what's the address of the store because Google Maps doesn't show it?

I just not sure, Does the Anderson sale weltmeister used accordions?
And, what's the address of the store because Google Maps doesn't show it?
Anderson’s sells many different used accordions, and will not offer something which is not good quality. You have to contact him and see what is available. There are many different brands and you have to remember that when you buy used you are looking for the best deal available. You should leave your options available and look at different brands because you may not find a good used Weltmeister at this moment.

You have to schedule an appointment to visit his store because he's located in a residential complex.

but my friends were not able to do it well, and now they have many problems with an accordion. Instead of focusing on practice, they have already repaired their instrument a couple of times for the last year, and it didn't improve in general.

This may be as much about the kind of choices we make in life, as about choosing an accordion. Do what you can to detect any problems with the accordion you're buying, but as Tom says above, it's hard to acquire a perfect accordion - and so you can be sure, most of us are playing accordions that are not at all perfect. If you can't go on, once you become aware of these imperfections, then maybe accordion is not for you - better off with an electronic keyboard or something.

Good luck to you, Yaroslav, I hope you can find an accordion that you can use to play comfortably and joyfully. It won't be perfect, as everyone says, but should work for you. I think contacting Andersons and finding the best accordion in your price range is the way to go. Goid luck!

Yaroslav: I live in Toronto, I can help you find an instrument, there are tons on them for sale on Kijiji and many are good. Most people selling them have no idea what an accordion is and you really need to go try them before buying.

Yaroslav: I live in Toronto, I can help you find an instrument, there are tons on them for sale on Kijiji and many are good. Most people selling them have no idea what an accordion is and you really need to go try them before buying.
I have told Yaroslv that there are many good quality accordions on Kijiji. A lot of them have been sitting unused for years and should be available for a reasonable price. Many years ago I had my heart set on a particular brand of accordion but was not able to find an example that worked for me, I ended up getting a totally different brand and it was a very good and reliable instrument that worked for many years. I have the feeling that Weltmeisters are the only ones under consideration and that will limit the search.

Guys, does the warranty include itself air leaking fixing (e.g. bellows gasket replacement or pallets realignment)?

Yaroslav,
In the case of a brand new instrument it could include all that (check the fine print), or a change-over new instrument.
In the case of a used instrument, it probably wouldn't be a paying proposition for the vendor, so, remember the old saying: buyer beware!
?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back