• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Finding comfortable straps

petch

Reaction score
Hi all,

My new to me accordion came with some less than adequately sized straps for the size and weight of the box. I recently went out and got some thicker straps but upon tryin gthem found my neck was getting squeezed from either side

I think the problem is because of the strap mounts themselves on my accordion. They force tehstraps to cross over each other, shortening the upper end of the straps by quite a bit

1667819260244.png

Here are the straps it came with. Not fantastic but thin enough that the mount design doesn't cause too much of an issue

Now if I hold up the thicker straps you can see how the initial gap is quite narrow. No matter where I set the buckles, it was quite uncomfortable and I couldn't reach the right most chin register

1667819387594.png

Has anyone ever had a similar issue and found straps that worked well for them?

My bayan has the brackets at a 90 degree angle from what you show. As a result the left strap then goes on the left bracket and the right one on the right bracket and my neck does not get squeezed.
I have (and also had) accordions with the brackets like you showed, and if the right strap is long enough (considerably longer than the left strap) that setup also works well. On these accordions I also have no trouble to reach the chin switches. It only becomes a problem when the righthand strap is not long enough to move the accordion far enough to the left that your chin is centered over the chin switches.

My bayan has the brackets at a 90 degree angle from what you show. As a result the left strap then goes on the left bracket and the right one on the right bracket and my neck does not get squeezed.
I have (and also had) accordions with the brackets like you showed, and if the right strap is long enough (considerably longer than the left strap) that setup also works well. On these accordions I also have no trouble to reach the chin switches. It only becomes a problem when the righthand strap is not long enough to move the accordion far enough to the left that your chin is centered over the chin switches.
I maxed out the length on the right strap and still had no luck unfortunately. I'm on the slim side so I don't think I'm the problem

the crisscross setup is typically better for balancing an accordion
and was fitted to many higher end accordions.. if you change them
or move them you risk changing the "hang" of this instrument.

do you have "tack" shops in Yorkshire ? here in the USA most decently
stocked ones have tons of different slim, short, but strong leather harness
and bridle and lead accessories where i have found, slim double buckle
leather short coupling straps in black, brown, tan, which can be used on Accordion
straps to easily extend them on one end or other. I usually keep an extra one around
they are so handy and also double as emergency replacement case handles

There are so many handy varieties of leather accessories in such shops that i have
often found more neat things than i actually needed, but ended up buying anyhow,
though i have not owned a Horse for 50 years now

Last edited:
I don't want to change the mounts, I just need some straps with longer bits of leather at the top end I think. Will have to look around

By pure co-incidence I renewed the straps on my Hohner this morning. The replacements were shorter in length, even when the 3 buckles on each strap were set at their maximum. Using a leather hole punch I was able to gain some length (at least 2"/50mm) by punching holes in the strap ends where in my case there were generous 'tails'. They're still on the 'snug' side but should be OK if I stick to my diet. I'll hold onto the old ones until the Xmas period is past and where the diet might be a harder target.

I don't want to change the mounts, I just need some straps with longer bits of leather at the top end I think. Will have to look around
You need to change the BOTTOM, not the top of the straps. Leave the shoulder pads in the areas you need to support the weight.

Part of the process is place the straps on and centralize the widest part of the strap at the points on the shoulders that carry the greatest weight, then adjust the bottom section until you get the proper length.

You need to change the BOTTOM, not the top of the straps. Leave the shoulder pads in the areas you need to support the weight.
The bottom is maxed out (along with the top), the problem is because of how short the top is due to the cross over that the parts of the straps that should be halfway down your back are sat on top of my shoulders. Presumably the widest part of the straps should be behind me, rather than either side of my neck!

The bottom is maxed out (along with the top), the problem is because of how short the top is due to the cross over that the parts of the straps that should be halfway down your back are sat on top of my shoulders. Presumably the widest part of the straps should be behind me, rather than either side of my neck!
Straps come in different sizes, but the length of the narrow bits at the top and bottom end are pretty much standard. However, there are now also straps that use velcro so you cannot injure yourself on metal parts.

I have had the most comfortable and beautiful straps custom made by Steve Seelye at Seelye Leather Works in Louisville, KY. Here are some pictures and his business card. His artwork is outstanding! Check out his website (on the card).

Attachments

• 8F76A7D0-DD37-47CE-B582-E7AD426EC066.jpeg
    8F76A7D0-DD37-47CE-B582-E7AD426EC066.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 903F2D5B-7AC7-4EF3-B9B9-9C485DCFC851.jpeg
    903F2D5B-7AC7-4EF3-B9B9-9C485DCFC851.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 85AD78C7-16CD-49E0-A184-46B00448E905.jpeg
    85AD78C7-16CD-49E0-A184-46B00448E905.jpeg
    604.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 7C147360-2185-4DB6-87E0-6E1D4DE865CE.jpeg
    7C147360-2185-4DB6-87E0-6E1D4DE865CE.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 20

Part of the process is place the straps on and centralize the widest part of the strap at the points on the shoulders that carry the greatest weight, then adjust the bottom section until you get the proper length.
Gold advice....wish I'd had the relevance of the shoulder part explained to me as well as the length rules (right longer than left) when originally setting up straps for first time ..👏

Gold advice....wish I'd had the relevance of the shoulder part explained to me as well as the length rules (right longer than left) when originally setting up straps for first time ..👏
It's good advice but I was already following it. Compared to my eacher who plays a similar sized instrument and his straps are about 2/3 the thickness. Going to go back to the shop at some point and exchange them for narrower ones with a neck cutout

I have had the most comfortable and beautiful straps custom made by Steve Seelye at Seelye Leather Works in Louisville, KY. Here are some pictures and his business card. His artwork is outstanding! Check out his website (on the card).
Those are very fancy straps! 🤩
It does sound like the original poster might need to make (or have-made) an extension on the top strap if it's not designed to reach that extra bit.

Some years ago I tried Neotech straps and found them to be so comfortable and adjustable that I now have them on all my accordions.
Yes I second the Neotech I wasn’t a believer in them until I tried a set and now they are the most comfortable of all my straps

To the neotech users...which type do you use? Seems like the deluxe would be best for a 96 bass PA but helpful to know your thoughts!

To the neotech users...which type do you use? Seems like the deluxe would be best for a 96 bass PA but helpful to know your thoughts!
Yes, I use the Deluxe version for my full-sized accordions (FR-7b, Victoria Montparnasse, ...) .

Thanks Pbraido and pentaprism. I now have some neotech straps and they do seem to be very comfy. One last question...is there a technique to do up the back strap without having to enrol in a contortionist class? Even when positioned low down it's not easy...
Thanks, Phil

Thanks Pbraido and pentaprism. I now have some neotech straps and they do seem to be very comfy. One last question...is there a technique to do up the back strap without having to enrol in a contortionist class? Even when positioned low down it's not easy...
Thanks, Phil
Lol on the back strap I have long arms - 37 inch sleeve length and still have a hell of a time getting them attached even when they are in the low position maybe someone who has a solution will chime in I’d love to hear of an easy way to get it done up

Back