• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Comfortable busking

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirralaccordion

Reaction score
There are no doubt many members who perform on the streets. Can anyone recommend a comfortable way of sitting? I am thinking that there may be a kind of foldable camping high chair that members may use to prop themselves up with. Standing for any period with an accordion can soon bring on a little fatigue!

I use one of them shooting stick thingys..umbrella handle, tripod legs, seat the size of a saucepan lid
Here's a tip though...if I go play outdoors I generally set up next to a coffee stall, may even ask to use their chair, owners usually oblige as pulls in customers for them and they I turn are likely to lob you their change, same applies beer gardens etc
Oh...and if in town centre check the acoustics before you begin, traffic can have you over as can glass windows echoing every footstep, narrow streets near corners seems to give good projection

I do not busk, but I do play my accordions in remote rural locations. Some of the places we visit have benches, others do not.

We always carry folding chairs in the back of my car, together with cushions which elevate me so that my elbows don't catch on the arm rests. I can't say that these chairs are particularly comfortable, but they do serve the purpose.

losthobos said narrow streets near corners seems to give good projection

I would be interested to know of any other natural ways members might have found to amplify the sound from their accordions when playing in the open air.

As to my other problem I have now acquired from a second hand shop a very light fold-up stool which helps enormously and being a little lower down does not feel any the worse as I thought it might do.

I always use the shoulder straps in combination with a horizontal backstrap, both standing or sitting.
A comfortable sitting position is a 90 degrees angle. Both feet flat and stable.

For buskers lots of accordions between 5 kg to 7,5 kg. Helps for standup playing.

Yes Stephen, weight is the main factor, particularly if standing up. The accordion I bought recently ( Brandoni 96 bass Super Musette ) was described on Allodi's leaflet as being 8.2 kg in weight but the manufacturer's literature said 9.2kg. When I weighed it myself it was actually 11.2kg. I think maybe internal mikes and straps must have made up the difference.
I can't say I've seem many accordions within the range 5 to 7.5kg though! Would this be a 48 bass or less?
Phil
P.S. Can you point me to a recording of "The River" please, one of your favourites I seem to remember from a previous thread?

For standup accordion playing you could use 60, 72 or 80 bass accordions. Even some 96 basses are light, eg my Hohner Amati 96 bass.

When seated, check the weight of your accordion is resting on your leg and knee. In sitting position your back should not have to lift any weight.
Often autodidact accordionists have bad shoulder straps fitting, a cause of dorsal pain or injury, especially when playing heavy accordions.

Can you help me to my post on The River? I can't immediately remember my post or the tune.

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your sound advice. As I mentioned above I have now started to play sitting down and have found it much easier.
My reference to "The River" relates to a Stephen Hawkings thread. Sorry for the confusion I caused there.
Phil

Hi Stephen,
Just curious - just what is the weight of your Hohner 96 bass that you mentioned above? ( including straps )

My Hohner Amati VI 96 basses CBA is about 8,3 kg including leather shoulder straps.
But it is an old second hand one.
Hohner Trossingen once told me it was manufactured in their Swiss factory.
My model is a 4 CBA rows made for the French market, with mushroom T-buttons.

I use a drummer's throne. As for lighter accordions, I had a student's size 120 bass that I would sometime use. Lot lighter, but the difference in the key width can mess you up. Have since sold it but it is something to consider. Amazingly, your brain and fingers can adjust pretty quickly. The student size, the full size accordion and the piano all have different key widths, but I can move between them pretty easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back