• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Is there an accordion backpack available that features a more comfortable carrying system similar to that of a mountaineering backpack?

Haodong

Reaction score
All of the accordion backpacks I've come across only have two simple straps. My current accordion weighs 12 kg and carrying it for an extended period of time can cause discomfort and soreness in my shoulders. I can't imagine carrying an accordion backpack that weighs over 15 kg. I'm curious why there aren't any accordion backpacks that offer a more comfortable carrying system like the ones on mountaineering backpacks.

Thanks for your attention.

1.pngView attachment 8217

Attachments

• 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 4
there certainly may be a mountaineering type backpack that you can fit your accordion
into, as well as extra socks.. does your city have one of those stores with lots and lots
of backpacks and suitcases on display ?

I'm waiting for some brand start producing something like this but for music instruments:

Strapping an accordion case onto the frame of a mountaineering pack (if you can still find the old-school kind with the external aluminum frame, rather than having it built in) might be the easiest fix. Putting a cased accordion fully inside a very large mountaineering pack might be second-best.

Watching this thread with interest to see what suggestions pop up. It IS amazing how much easier it is to carry a load when it is well positioned and secured.

I've dug deep on accordion bags a few times. Here are what comes to mind:

AMC bags feature load adjusters and vertical carrying position. I have one and love it, though I wish it had a built in chest strap.

Techgal makes a bag with a hipbelt, backpad, and clear place to add a chest strap.

Soundwear makes a bag with chest strap and removable hip strap. I think I've seen someone recommend it on this forum before.

I've yet to find a bag that combines load adjusters, chest strap, and hip belt.

Best of luck in your search.

Whenever I have to carry heavy stuff on my back - be it full beverage crates or instruments in bulky cases - I use a mountaineering ”craxe”. These are sturdy but light aluminum frames with comfortable shoulder straps and wrist belt. 30 kg no problem.
Thank you! Using a ''craxe'' may be a good and economic idea.

I've dug deep on accordion bags a few times. Here are what comes to mind:

AMC bags feature load adjusters and vertical carrying position. I have one and love it, though I wish it had a built in chest strap.

Techgal makes a bag with a hipbelt, backpad, and clear place to add a chest strap.

Soundwear makes a bag with chest strap and removable hip strap. I think I've seen someone recommend it on this forum before.

I've yet to find a bag that combines load adjusters, chest strap, and hip belt.

Best of luck in your search.
Thank you! Those backpacks seem excellent. This is the first time I've heard about these products.

I have always done as Siegmund describes and used a regular accordion gigbag (Hohner brand in my case) strapped to an old aluminum frame. Where I live, it is easy to find old aluminum frame packs in yard sales and thrift stores. This setup works great for me, and I really enjoy being able to walk long distances comfortably with it -- and even short distances, like the distance from my car to an indoor gig, are much easier.

Back