• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Chinese Stella - value/quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're welcome, and just to add Birmingham usually has the best choice in used & new accordions in the HobGobs outlets. Allodi's has the biggest range in England, probably the UK, but note his opening hours and best to pre book to try accordions.

Weltmeisters are made in Germany still (I have been to the factory twice). The Stella models were made in the era around the time the wall came down , and that line/name was dropped in the 90's and they adopted the look they have now.
When I was at the NAMM show about 12 years ago Iran into a Chinese company that seemed to think that it was OK to pick up a dropped instrument name design and run with it. Weltmeister took a dim view of this (passed the catalog on to them at the show) this put a end to it but you may have one of these instruments.

I like the Stella instruments but they were built in an era where the Soviet Union had driven East Germany into the ground for its resources and it would appear that correct parts were in short supply. They often have to be rewaxed as the beeswax was often adulterated with paraffin wax and the adhesion is not good. Generally they are much better than anything out of China once tuned up.

The Gollatta is also from Klingenthal (I believe) from about the same era, but I don't know if it was a Weltmeister product as the construction is a bit different.

PS I wasn't necessarily suggesting you do buy of those dealers; you can just use them for research should you so wish, find one you like and then try to find one privately, if that suits. All part of the fun.

Dont know about any Gollatta brand, but the Galotta brand was made in the Klingenthal region in Germany.
Had a Galotta 80 bass, an excellent instrument in perfect condition.

Galotta was the brand of G. A. Schlott & Söhne from Zwota and Brunndöbra, Germany. [MH] [WM]
source:
http://www.accordionlinks.com/manufacturer.html

source:
http://www.harmonikamuseum-zwota.de/geschichte_englisch.htm

I agree cheap Chinese made accordions are giving headaches to professional accordion teachers. Accordion beginners and students playing these cheap accordions encounter many problems with bellows control, due to poor quality, stiff bellows, air loss, ...
Cant find any advantage in these poor quality accordions, except for one... the low price.
But if you have to sell it, and buy a more expensive high quality one, in the end you loose ... twice.

The problem is not in China, its the Western consumer who doesnt want to make savings.
This is sweet music in the music instruments dealers ears, because they can make some good profits...

I know many professional accordion teachers will strongly discourage beginners to buy these cheap accordions. The teachers and accordion pedagogues know how important it is to have a good instrument.
Unfortunately, in some countries the dealers have more influence than professional accordion teachers.

To solve this problem, the qualified accordion teachers should be on top in the hierarchy of accordion education.
NOT the dealers. That is my personal opinion, and that of many accordion teachers.

By the way, why not invite some English speaking Chinese, active in the accordion industry in China, and some Italians from the Castelfidardo region, to this forum? We could ask for direct information, coming from the Industrial accordion makers.

Now, we are dependent on information from the intermediate dealers, but that way information can be rather fuzzy. I prefer direct communication from Italy, Germany, China, rather than believing anything dealers tell me.

I had many contacts with dealers, they all tell different stories...

Never ask a friend to deliver your love letters to your future sweetheart...
Go straight to her place and sing your serenade at her doorstep :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back