• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Lets learn about Chinese Accordion!

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I admit I am clueless, but this discussion has led to certain questions since there are more accordionists by country in China.

What are the current "folk" styles in China? Ie, not classical, but what people play among themselves for dancing or at a festival? Has there been a popular genre that originated recently (ie after the invention of the accordion) like zydeco, forró?

Who are the predominant players of these styles?

Inquiring minds want to know (and want the youtube links). Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry. Yeah this guy Kai Zhong seems to have a pretty eclectic and wide variety of tunes, including “folk” songs (his label).

The classical piano star Lang Lang sometimes plays folk or folk-flavored music from China, as a feature or an encore. As with piano, accordion has become huge in China, especially PA and CBA, and I'm sure there are Chinese accordionists doing the same.

Last edited:
This is purely anecdotal, but when I was travelling there in 2007 we came across a few small ensembles practicing in parks, with many of them including accordionists. Mostly the folks we saw were playing Chinese folk music, and it was pretty common to see groups that included accordion, erhu (2-stringed bowed instrument a little similar to violin) or violin, and something else (right now I can't recall what other instruments were common). We did say hi to one group and in terrible Mandarin managed to explain that we were Australian musicians. They promptly launched into a rendition of "Click go the shears", so it seems like folk music in general was popular at least 15 years ago!

Thanks Jerry. Yeah this guy Kai Zhong seems to have a pretty eclectic and wide variety of tunes, including “folk” songs (his label).

This guy is famous for now (at least in accordion field, but not only in accordion circle), he re-arranged lots of Chinese song to accordion (from very traditional to modern song, including some really new songs in 2021-2022) , but if you know he is an accordion teacher, a really professional player, then it is not a surprise, haha. The accordion was extremely popular in China in 1950 - 1970 and the trend flows until new century, but it was gone in the recent 10-15 years. In my understanding, he is doing a right thing about bringing the accordion back to people's life, not a classical instrument that far from common people, also not a old toy in the box that people put it under bed for 20 years.

The video you put there is a song called "My Motherland", a movie song wrote to depict Korean War, it is (true, not "was") so popular and classic that all Chinese (yes I can confirm every Chinese) know and sing this song, even it was written in 1956.

Some other songs that Zhong Kai arranged:

This original song was released in 2020, Zhongkai re-arranged it to accordion

This original song was released in July 2022

Last edited:
Another famous Chinese folk music (or Folk Ballads? I don't know exact word) with accordion
Thanks for this information, Z, very helpful and informative! I am most drawn to Dance Hall in Mohe. What sort of music would be played in the dance hall?

Interesting that the third one is sung in French as well as Chinese. Nice.

Thanks for this information, Z, very helpful and informative! I am most drawn to Dance Hall in Mohe. What sort of music would be played in the dance hall?

Interesting that the third one is sung in French as well as Chinese. Nice.
I don't know what they will play in that dance hall, lol. Mohe is the most northern city in China, I never been there. Actually the song's name is "Dance Hall in Mohe", and it is also a existing place in the real world.

The 3 videos:
What an engaging insight into a musical world about which I knew absolutely nothing.
The third song (with in French and Chinese) is a type of music very popular in 1980-2000 (but it still have lots of fans in nowadays), I think it is different to the pop song, total different to traditional music. I find an intro here

"Chinese folk songs are not a musical definition, but more inclined to a sociological definition. It can be roughly considered that folk songs are popular music or commercial music. It is a musical work that is widely spread among the people, with entertainment and commerciality as its main characteristics. It is different from music works created for the purpose of pursuing elegant artistic experience and limited to groups with certain musical accomplishments. The characteristics of folk songs determine its wide audience, and it also allows many people to fully enjoy the beautiful experience brought by music without any knowledge of music theory, so it can be widely spread. This is also the advantage of folk songs."

It also developed a sub-type called "Campus folks", here is an intro:
"Campus folk songs, as the name suggests, are widely loved by students, popular on campus, and reflect the campus life and students' state of mind or feelings. They may be called "campus songs", "modern folk songs", "Yuefu folk customs" and so on. Campus folk songs are full of vigor and full of campus taste, without any pretense, they are completely outspoken and outspoken, and they sound very touching. Poetic and romantic, its style is generally simple, bright, positive and full of vitality, and is deeply loved and sung by people. Campus folk songs belong to a special phenomenon in the field of music. Its production is related to the popularity of mainland original music and the influence of foreign music. Among the influences of foreign music, Taiwanese campus songs have the most direct and far-reaching influence; among mainland original music, rock music (represented by Cui Jian) has a greater impact on the production of campus songs. In addition, European and American pop music and Chinese folk music have a certain influence on the production of campus folk songs."

The third song (with in French and Chinese) is a type of music very popular in 1980-2000 (but it still have lots of fans in nowadays), I think it is different to the pop song, total different to traditional music. I find an intro here

"Chinese folk songs are not a musical definition, but more inclined to a sociological definition. It can be roughly considered that folk songs are popular music or commercial music. It is a musical work that is widely spread among the people, with entertainment and commerciality as its main characteristics. It is different from music works created for the purpose of pursuing elegant artistic experience and limited to groups with certain musical accomplishments. The characteristics of folk songs determine its wide audience, and it also allows many people to fully enjoy the beautiful experience brought by music without any knowledge of music theory, so it can be widely spread. This is also the advantage of folk songs."

It also developed a sub-type called "Campus folks", here is an intro:
"Campus folk songs, as the name suggests, are widely loved by students, popular on campus, and reflect the campus life and students' state of mind or feelings. They may be called "campus songs", "modern folk songs", "Yuefu folk customs" and so on. Campus folk songs are full of vigor and full of campus taste, without any pretense, they are completely outspoken and outspoken, and they sound very touching. Poetic and romantic, its style is generally simple, bright, positive and full of vitality, and is deeply loved and sung by people. Campus folk songs belong to a special phenomenon in the field of music. Its production is related to the popularity of mainland original music and the influence of foreign music. Among the influences of foreign music, Taiwanese campus songs have the most direct and far-reaching influence; among mainland original music, rock music (represented by Cui Jian) has a greater impact on the production of campus songs. In addition, European and American pop music and Chinese folk music have a certain influence on the production of campus folk songs."
Thank you!

Back