• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Chinese Stella - value/quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bassgirl1

Hi,
I'm new to accordions, but having wanted to play for a while, finally bought one. Unfortunately, I bought (on ebay, yes, risky I know!) what was clearly advertised as a German Weltmeister Stella 48 bass, and when it arrived yesterday (and with the help of this forum) I have discovered it is clearly a Chinese Stella. I was deliberately avoiding Chinese ones, given their poor reputation.

I have contacted the seller to have a little moan about this (no reply), but was wondering what might be a reasonable price for this instrument if I agreed to keep it with a partial refund. Very little is the impression I am getting. I paid £155, which seemed fine for the genuine German model.

Nothing very wrong with it as far as I can tell, except one key changes tone depending on the direction of the bellows (?!). And the keyboard response seems pretty slow, and needs a bit of a mighty push on the bellows to get the notes out in general; but I've never played any other accordion so have nothing to compare with. I imagine this is just the way the Chinese models are.

Thanks!

These "issues" are exactly the sort of thing that makes a newcomers enjoyment of the accordion very difficult. Valve issues, poorly adjusted reeds and a general difficulty in getting the instrument to speak make learning extra hard. £155 is no money for any instrument let alone a complex one such as an accordion. . You will pay more for a simple pine table with 4 legs so it's no surprise an accordion at this price has had a very superficial quality check during manufacture. It's odd however that it was sold as a German made instrument. Perhaps for this reason they will take it back and you can invest your £155 in a used instrument.

Thanks for the reply Glenn. Your points make sense. That is why I wanted to avoid the Chinese models, and go for a more respected quality one.

I wasn't clear in my post, but it is a used one. When I saw I'd need to invest 500 or so new for anything that was even decent for a beginner I opted for 2nd hand, with a planned budget of around £200. I would certainly rather pay more and get something pleasurable to play, rather than frustrating and awkward.

The seller has since replied and told me that they bought it 6 years ago as a hobby instrument, and were told it was a German Weltmeister then, so were none the wiser themselves!

Maybe I'll just stick with it and hope that when / if (depending on how I take to it, so far I love it) this training will set me up to be a maestro when I invest in a higher quality instrument! Not sure if that's the way it works. I may just pick up bad habits.

My advice is if you bought it with paypal, insist on having your money back as 'not as described' and insist they also pay for return signed-for postage. eBay & paypal will support you.
We're here for newcomers, maybe you hadn't found us then, but we are happy to help/advise if you supply a link.
Yes there are risks to buying at distance, but I have bought good cheap accordions at distance by asking the right questions, looking for clues in the pics, and avoiding the vendors that either don't know what they're talking about, or are 'bent'.

Where are you?

Good luck & keep us posted.

Definitely contact paypal and ebay for your money and postage returned. As if you have issues with the box now, I must warn you that Chinese made accordions do not improve with age !!!

People do consider the country associated with the manufacturer and often do not realize where the accordions are actually built. Modern Hohner accordions are made in different countries. The cheaper ones are made in China and the expensive ones are made by Pigini in Italy. Previously the Morinos were made by Excelsior in Italy. I have a Hohner Artiste XS with a nice "Made in Germany" stamp on it. This is definitely an instrument made by Excelsior in Italy. That's how honest these indications are. Weltmeister accordions are supposed to be made in Germany just like Hohners. But obviously they are not any more.

Am I right in thinking that the all Chinese Stella brand have a badge on the treble end that says Stella, plus a big white star, whilst on the Weltmeisters the main badge on the treble end says Weltmeister, and Stella is on a small badge on the bass end?

Or is it more complicated than that?
A current search on Ebay brings up plenty of examples of both.

Yes, that is my understanding Tom. Unfortunately I didnt know this when I bought mine, so just trusted the verbal description. Had I known, the pic clearly shows it to be a Chinese Stella. Here is a pic of it, just to make sure... but Im pretty certain now. I really think the seller didnt know they were mis-describing it either. They look trustworthy from their ebay feedback.

Oh, cant seem to upload a pic of the actual box here. Lets see if this link to the ebay page works: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141701939758?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure that the decoration can change between batches and fashion.
When they've run out of one design of badge they will fit another I guess. As long as a manufacturer doesn't try to pass themselves off as another registered maker then anything goes.

'Weltmeister' - wrong
'German' - wrong, Chinese
'...great quality' - wrong
5 treble registers - wrong, 3
34 keys - wrong, 30...

I don't believe the 38 bids either, especially from 'private' lister - they're shill bidding imho.

Looks like I might have a case then Soulsaver?
Feel a bit dumb though... but then I suppose I wouldn't have known. I do now! :)

bassgirl1 said:
Looks like I might have a case then Soulsaver?
Feel a bit dumb though... but then I suppose I wouldnt have known. I do now! :)
Youre inexperienced - you relied on their description and knowledge - you have found out that youve been misled - your not happy- want a refund- will open a case with ebay- want your payment refunded immediately. And if they want it returned, only after theyve refunded, they can organise their own collection. Rock solid.
I always think if you take responsibility for a return, the dishonest will say either it didnt arrive; or it was damaged by YOUR courier. So make them do it.

I dont trust private listers - they have some thing to hide - so if theyre not selling erotica or incontinence pads or the like, theres no need to be private.

Edit: Changed your to youre. :) and mislead to misled... :oops:

Any comments on this secondhand one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311393611376?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I did offer £220 for it before I bought the dodgey Weltmeister! I received a counter-offer of £260 (it was then listed at £300). Im willing to pay something near that if its worth that much.

I could try it out first too, as it is very near where my parents live. I think this is a German make? Bit larger than I wanted, but might be a good buy for a first accordion?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Soulsaver said:
Where are you?

I live in Manchester, but also spend regular time in Birmingham, Milton Keynes, and London.

Weltmeister 'clearly not' German any longer.
Is there evidence for this? - Weltmeister emphasise that they make, not brand, their instruments, including thro' a company video.
Of interest because I own one, bought not that long ago, and found them to be a very reliable company.

Stella/Weltmeister - if I genuinely believed my Micra was built by Maserati would that be OK on ebay?

I did offer £220 for it before I bought the dodgey Weltmeister! I received a counter-offer of £260 (it was then listed at £300). Im willing to pay something near that if its worth that much.

I could try it out first too, as it is very near where my parents live. I think this is a German make? Bit larger than I wanted, but might be a good buy for a first accordion?

Thanks for any thoughts.[/quote]

Well, if its inside your budget, and local enough for you to go and try it, and you do, and youre happy with it, then your fixed up.
If you do go, and your certain your happy, offer the £220 cash (or less) there and then. I wouldnt necessarily suggest this, but they could cancel the ebay listing and avoid their final value & paypal fees which would amount to 13%. Do the maths.

Test ALL the keys, buttons switches & compression, as you wont get the luxury of comebacks if you buy cash, face to face. Or better still if you know someone who does play to come for support/input.

The other thing to consider is with that amount of travel scope there are a few decent dealers in your compass, where you can try a few different accordions? Yes theyll cost more, but youll get warranty, choice and advice. First two of these are very highly regarded...
Allodis in London, Birmingham Accordion Centre, Accordions of Coventry, HobGoblins Mancs & Birmingham

Good luck.

Thanks for those leads Soulsaver.

I'm going to pop into Hobgoblin tomorrow and see what they have on offer. Also take in this Chinese Stella and see what they think of it as a beginner's instrument. The ebay seller has just agreed to accept it back for a full refund, or give me 80 quid back to keep hold of it (meaning it will have cost £75, which seems not unfair.. spose I could haggle a bit too), after I raised a return request. So all is good there. I don't really want to keep it, but seeing as the hardest thing so far I have found is hitting the right notes / bass buttons (without watching in the mirror!), it is at least good for practising that.

I will decide after trying a Hobgoblin one, and if it's infinitely nicer to play then I'll return this one as a dud.

Thanks for all your help guys. This is a great forum to have stumbled across! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back