• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Can you identify this Hohner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It’s on eBay at the moment and the owner is looking for info as he/she can’t find a similar looking one. I can’t say that I’ve see these alternating switches before either. Anyone know the model?

B595262B-6B5D-4016-A312-3846E77C9784.jpeg9ECF3722-FEBB-4A40-B9BB-EF4A90F83731.jpeg

I think I've found one - it appears to be a Verdi III M

IMG_0039.jpg

Indeed, looks like a Verdi III M, even without being marked as such. The style of switches was common between all M series, whether Verdi or Tango or even Morino, and so was the waterfall keyboard... The grille is also typical for a Verdi.

What's the idea behind all the repeat coupler switches ?
( Three according to my count)
It looks, to me, suspiciously like marketing puffery, surely beneath the dignity of a serious manufacturer, though commonly found across the whole industry?)?

What's the idea behind all the repeat coupler switches ?
( Three according to my count)
It looks, to me, suspiciously like marketing puffery, surely beneath the dignity of a serious manufacturer, though commonly found across the whole industry?)?
In a lot of music you need fast register changes. Repeat register switches make it easier to reach for a register while playing, regardless of whether you are playing low or high notes. On accordions with more (4 or 5) voices you cannot have repeat registers if you have just one row of registers, so some accordions have two rows of registers, and nowadays accordions give you a choice of 5 to 8 chin switches so you don't even need to take your fingers off the keys to change registers. I got so used to them that I would never buy another accordion without chin switches (which are always repeats of registers you also have in the row by the keyboard).

It’s on eBay at the moment and the owner is looking for info as he/she can’t find a similar looking one. I can’t say that I’ve see these alternating switches before either. Anyone know the model?

B595262B-6B5D-4016-A312-3846E77C9784.jpeg9ECF3722-FEBB-4A40-B9BB-EF4A90F83731.jpeg
It looks like an early Hohner Atlantic to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210118_134902_com.distilledmedia.adverts.jpg
    Screenshot_20210118_134902_com.distilledmedia.adverts.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 9
It looks like the same grill, but the order of the switches is different. In the Atlantic picture the switches alternate between black & white, but it the picture I posted they are 1 white, 2 black, 3 white, 2 black, 1 white

Here's another thing on this accordion that I haven't seen before - the metal strip running down the back of the keyboard. Is this for some kind of repair?

1611045169687.jpg

Knobby,
That looks remarkably like part of the very old style voice selector mechanism?
BTW, have you got it sitting upside down?

That looks remarkably like part of the very old style voice selector mechanism
I hadn't thought of that. looks like it has some bits missing then.
BTW, have you got it sitting upside down?
It's not mine - photos from an eBay listing I was considering as a donor for my maintenance efforts!

What at £750 for a cheap donor? Not my idea of cheap :unsure:
Ahh... you've mixed up the one I posted with the Atlantic posted to illustrate similar switches. It was the Atlantic that was advertised at £750 - this ebay one is at £99.99 but I won't be going for it as I've found something else to play around with.

Ahh... you've mixed up the one I posted with the Atlantic posted to illustrate similar switches. It was the Atlantic that was advertised at £750 - this ebay one is at £99.99 but I won't be going for it as I've found something else to play around with.
Phew, that's a relief !!

I haven't had one of those models but did have an Atlantic with a Sordina (mute) switch that looked similar to that strip of metal which slid up and down for on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back