• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

C-system fingering. Scales.

saundersbp

Reaction score
Reading the above it's clear we all take different approaches and all are valid. For myself I've just found starting with 5 rows immediately has been the right way to make rapid progress and feel almost as comfortable with the CBA in a short time as I do with a piano keyboard. We all learn in different ways though and there's no one size fits all. Most important investment I'd say is a really (and I mean really) good teacher who is at the top of their game: then it's down to time and dedication.

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Thanks Lost, Saunders, Tom! Yup, different strokes for different folks, but it's all useful. In my experience, unfortunately, "finding a good teacher" is right up there with "finding a good repair person," kind of like the holy grail.

Chrisrayner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
No no no!! It’s C, F, and G.😉

I agree otherwise. I have both 4 and 5 row instruments. I tend to stick to the outer four rows, with a prejudice in favour of the outer three, although in some tunes buttons in rows four and five make life much easier. I also do an exercise using fingers only playing major and minor arpeggios ascending and descending, so CEGC, EGCE, GCEG, and so on, then back down. Then with Eb.

Reactions: Tom

dunlustin

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The CBA right hand for me is all about choices. I'm not sure about comparing with piano or piano accordion.
A recent post asked about fingering for Eminor 'Indifférence'
Zevy (I think) said Murena played in Fminor and was for once pleased he played PA.
Four flats and the Trio in Aflat - you'd need to be mad.
Except Fminor on the CBA sits happily on the outer 3 rows.
Moral: It may well be worth considering another key if a tune does not sit easily in the key suggested.

bgilesuk

Reaction score
Reading the above it's clear we all take different approaches and all are valid. For myself I've just found starting with 5 rows immediately has been the right way to make rapid progress and feel almost as comfortable with the CBA in a short time as I do with a piano keyboard. We all learn in different ways though and there's no one size fits all. Most important investment I'd say is a really (and I mean really) good teacher who is at the top of their game: then it's down to time and dedication.

I'm going to stick to how I was taught 25 years ago, i.e. initially learning all scales using just the first 3 rows, then adding keys in rows 4 & 5 when it simplifies the passage in the music. Using Ben's fingering, I now have an alternative to the fingering I was taught with, providing more options.
I believe that learning this way ultimately makes it easier to 'sight read' music, then tweak it using alternative rows.

It would be nice to have some professional teachers views on this topic, highlighting why most usually restrict the student to initially using the first 3 rows.

Brian

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Hi Ben

1617107890993.png

Interesting fingering you're using.
Ok, I think I get it. You can use this pattern in all keys by starting with "Do" on any note on the first three rows, using rows 1,2,3 2,3,4 or 3,4,5, depending which row you start on. You're not really making a scale using all 5 rows. This could come in handy for, for example, keeping your thumb on the root for chording. Using the other 2 patterns gives you additional scale possibilities, and certainly is needed for a 3 row cordeen.

bgilesuk

Reaction score
Ok, I think I get it. You can use this pattern in all keys by starting with "Do" on any note on the first three rows, using rows 1,2,3 2,3,4 or 3,4,5, depending which row you start on. You're not really making a scale using all 5 rows. This could come in handy for, for example, keeping your thumb on the root for chording. Using the other 2 patterns gives you additional scale possibilities, and certainly is needed for a 3 row cordeen.
Hi Tom, look at my post dated 31st March, where I've shown 2 alternatives for all the Major scales, using just the first 3 rows.
The first concentrates on using fingers 1-3, the other, which Ben uses, concentrates on using fingers 2-4.
I'm now learning the latter, in the hope it will expand my options.
Once you have these 3 patterns, irrespective of which fingering method used, you can then progress up a scale (from a chord, for example) from any row, assuming you have 5 at your disposal.

Brian

Last edited: