• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Row-based CBA (C-system) fingering 'cheat sheet' for scales - comparing different tutors/method books

Johnny

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I've put together a little CBA (C-system/C-griff) scales 'cheat sheet' for myself (since I'm kinda lazy). I thought it might be helpful to other CBA beginners out there...

I've organized the treble button board fingerings for major/minor scales by button row (#1, 2, 3) and method book/author. I also included suggested fingerings for the chromatic scale (which also vary by method book). All fingerings are based on the 3 method books I have access to: L.O. Anzaghi, Lucien & Richard Galliano, and Gorka Hermosa.

I know there are many CBA fingering indications out there for scales - including spontaneous & home-grown ones or those recommended by teachers. And I'm also aware of the philosophy that the best fingering is often that one that gets it done, etc. Whatever works for each musician!

But it was interesting to see the variations among these 3 tutors/method books. As a newbie, I'm curious about how various tutors/method books present CBA fingerings for technical exercises (scales, arpeggios, chords, etc).

If you see any typos in the 'cheat sheet' or have questions, please let me know. Also - if you've seen CBA (C-griff) scale fingerings published in other tutors/instruction books, and are up for sharing them, contact me and I'll add/cite them. Thanks!

EDITS - Nov. 27 -noted the suggested fingering indications in cheat sheet are for C-system/C-griff chromatic button accordions.
Dec. 3 - added fingerings from Cambieri et al.

Attachments

• CBA-fingerings-comparison-12-3-21.pdf
    109.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Hi all, I've put together a little CBA scales 'cheat sheet' for myself (since I'm kinda lazy). I thought it might be helpful to other CBA beginners out there...

I've organized the treble button board fingerings for major/minor scales by row (#1, 2, 3) and method book/author. I also included suggested fingerings for the chromatic scale. All fingerings are based on the 3 method books I have access to: L.O. Anzaghi, Lucian & Richard Galliano, and Gorka Hermosa.

I know there are many CBA fingering options out there for scales - including spontaneous & home-grown ones or those recommended by teachers. It was interesting to see the variations even among just 3 tutors/method books. And I'm also aware of the philosophy that the best fingering is often that one that gets it done, etc. But as a newbie, I'm curious about how various tutors/method books present CBA fingerings for technical exercises (scales, arpeggios, chords, etc).

If you see any typos or have questions or different scale fingerings from other tutors/method books, let me know and I'll add/cite them. Thanks! Sean
Those are for the C griff.

This sounds like exactly what I need but I'm unable to download the attachment. Is it a pdf?

This sounds like exactly what I need but I'm unable to download the attachment. Is it a pdf?
Hey there, I've attached the chart here as an image - hope it's helpful!

If anybody sees errors/typos or more to include, let me know and I'll revise the table. Probably also going to add arpeggios as I progress..

CBA-fingerings-comparison-12-3-21.png

This looks great - thanks. I'll have a good go at these and maybe comment back to you.....am 3 weeks into c-griff territory and getting confused!

This looks great - thanks. I'll have a good go at these and maybe comment back to you.....am 3 weeks into c-griff territory and getting confused
Yinks, I just glanced through the major scale fingerings....you'd need a very peculiar hand for these to be ergonomic. Suggest getting lessons!

Earlier there was a post speculating that Maugain might well be a practical joker for some of his fingering suggestions...

Being something of a contrarian I started playing simple C scales (C Griff) 12345123... with the thumb crossing under th pinky from G to A as he suggests.

Really awkward to start- but after a bit of time and colorful language it actually works really well and freely passing the thumb under the pinky in other situations without having to force it led to a lot less painting myself into a corner in other situations.

I suppose Nietzche was right; that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Forcing the uncomfortable to become comfortable is short term irritation with potential longer term distinct gain. Now if I can only get the cat to come out from under the dresser...

Partly off topic.....is there any good reason why the suggestion is to stick to rows 1,2,3? There was a post in another thread that described the C scale as CDEF forming a 'V" and I found that was OK if I started my scale on 3rd row C..... I'l try to find the post and see if I can reference it here

Earlier there was a post speculating that Maugain might well be a practical joker for some of his fingering suggestions...

Being something of a contrarian I started playing simple C scales (C Griff) 12345123... with the thumb crossing under th pinky from G to A as he suggests.

Really awkward to start- but after a bit of time and colorful language it actually works really well and freely passing the thumb under the pinky in other situations without having to force it led to a lot less painting myself into a corner in other situations.

I suppose Nietzche was right; that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Forcing the uncomfortable to become comfortable is short term irritation with potential longer term distinct gain. Now if I can only get the cat to come out from under the dresser...

Thank you for your post. I'm pleased that there are others who see value in the suggested major scale fingerings in the Manu Maugain method book. Of course I'm still a beginning level accordionist. So, I'm not exactly an authority on this subject. But unlike you I don't don't find them "Really awkward to start", especially at my rather slow practice tempo. Of course they require practice just like anything else. More importantly I trust Maugain as a teacher that these simple fingerings help develop playing skill, and hence I wanted to include them in my practice as early as possible. I play all three suggested Maugain major scale patterns on page 58 in two octaves (I have a small instrument) a few times at the beginning of every practice session, and I feel that over time this simple warmup is contributing to the development of my playing skill. I'm happy to see that I am not the only one using them.

Last edited:
Thank you for your post. I'm pleased that there are others who see value in the suggested major scale fingerings in the Manu Maugain method book. Of course I'm still a beginning level accordionist. So, I'm not exactly an authority on this subject. But unlike you I don't don't find them "Really awkward to start", especially at my rather slow practice tempo. Of course they require practice just like anything else. More importantly I trust Maugain as a teacher that these simple fingerings help develop playing skill, and hence I wanted to include them in my practice as early as possible. I play all three suggested Maugain major scale patterns on page 58 in two octaves (I have a small instrument) a few times at the beginning of every practice session, and I feel that over time this simple warmup is contributing to the development of my playing skill. I'm happy to see that I am not the only one using them.
I wonder if you would be so kind as to show us the three patterns in the Maugain book please.
I have many other method books but not that one and would be interested in comparing them.
Thanks

Reply to "Pipemajor"
Sure, with thumb = 1 and pinky = 5 (same as chart posted earlier by "Johnny"):
Row #1: 12345134
Row #2: 23412345
Row #3 23451234

Last edited:
I wonder if you would be so kind as to show us the three patterns in the Maugain book please.
I have many other method books but not that one and would be interested in comparing them.
Thanks
Sure, with thumb = 1 and pinky = 5 (same as chart posted earlier by "Johnny"):
Row #1: 12345134
Row #2: 23412345
Row #3 23451234

Thanks
Note that Maugain provides suggestion for playing in 2 octaves only for Row #1:
Row #1: 123451212345123
For Rows #2 and #3 I figured out the following on my own:
Row #2: 234123423412345
Row #3: 234512323451234

Back