• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Bugari-Evo user instruction

John K

Reaction score
I just received my new Bugari_EVO Haria P41 accordion from Petosa Accordions. I do have the complete user manual but was wondering if anyone knows of anyone that can actually provide me with some basic Bugari-EVO fuction tutorial usage until I can familiarize myself with the functions Petosa does not offer any.

John K

Hi Jerry! Thanks for your tutorials/videos. I just purchased a Bugari EVO and am having difficulties figuring out how to create User Programs. The manual is a little awkward in that regard and having worked with MIDI accordions and sound modules in the past, it's not as intuitive as I had hoped. Do you have a suggestion/source for step-by-step instructions for creating User Programs?

Thanks!

Rick

It was a project for future videos, but the possibilities to make different registrations is in the 10’s of thousands, so it’s not a matter of making user programs (which is fairly easy) but to make good sounding ones and that takes a lot of time and patience… and many, many tries and experimentation.

Start with making a change to a single registration, once you make a single registration 14 times, that becomes a set. 100 sets become a group (UPG), then that set can be exported or imported.

If you want to get a "head start", purchase the Richard Noel Fr-8X/Evo Program bank set for $150.00. He provides 32 User Program banks with 14 programs in each bank. They are well worth the cost. This will save you a lot time. Also you can use them as a "template" and modify/change to your liking. The link to his website is:

https://www.noelaccordion.com

John M.

Thanks Jerry and John... I saw one of Richard's videos and can now create a User Program (yeah!)... my challenge is figuring how to add more tones/instruments to the bass section from which to select (I only get the same seven sounds), how to assign what the master bar and chin switches will do, and how to make the bass and chords stay at a constant volume while allowing the acoustic accordion volume to be bellow-controlled. I think I've found most of these settings, but not sure how to apply them to a User Program. This is a great resource, thanks!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I use the Noel Program sets. He has many different tones/instruments for the bass section. Once you load a user program, the seven bass section switches are deactivated. However, there are many bass tones and orchestral sounds available in the 8X memory, so you really don't need the bass section switches with a user program.

On the right side of the 8X, there are 4 buttons for the left hand . The 4 buttons allow you to select 4 modes: Bass & Chrd, F Bass, Orch Chrd and Orch Bass.
The Bass & Chrd mode is where you assign the reeds you would like. The choices are 16’, 8’, 8-4’, 4’ and 2’. For each footage, there are many tone selections (Folk, Classic, Tradition, Cajun, Jazz, Alpine, etc.). For each reed, there is a volume selection from -100->+100.
The F Bass (free bass) mode sets up the left side of the 8X for 5 choices. I use “Fifth” (Quint) which allows for 3 octaves of bass notes.
The Orch Chrd mode allows for many sound choices such as: Piano, Guitar, Clarinet, Tuba, etc. There are settings for Volume (-40->+40), Lowest Note, Octave, Attack, Decay, Touch (Bellows Control), etc.
The Orch Bass tone choices are very similar to the Orch Chrd mode. Some choices are String Bass, Acoustic Bass, Jazz Bass, etc. The choices for Volume, Attack, Decay, etc. are also similar.
A nice feature is that the above modes can be layered such as Bass & Chrd, Orch Chrd, and Orch Bass can all sound simultaneously , with individual volume adjustment to get the sound you want.

On the right side of the 8X, there are 4 buttons for the right hand. The 4 buttons allow you to select 4 modes: Accordion, Organ, Orch2 and Orch1.
The Accordion mode is where you assign the reeds you would like. The choices are 16’, 8’, 8’-, 8’+, 4’, 5-1/3’, 2-2/3’. For each footage, there are many tone selections (Folk, Classic, Tradition, Cajun, Jazz, Alpine, etc.). For each reed, there is a volume selection from -40->+40 along with a few other selections.
The Organ mode is a virtual tonewheel organ, basically a Hammond B3. This is a favorite for me. The set up is exactly like a B3, 9 drawbars with settings from 0-8, Vibrato/Chorus (V1-V3 & C1-C3), Percussion with 2nd and 3rd harmonic, and fast/slow decay. I also have a Neo Microvent that is a fantastic Leslie 122 simulator to give that lush tremolo.
The Orch2 and Orch1 modes are identical with many orchestral choices depending on how your expansion slots are filled. My 8X has 305 selections. Some choices are: Piano, Vibraphone, Clarinet, Sax, Trumpet Flute, Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin, Violin, etc. There is adjustment control of Volume, Attack, Decay, etc. The tones are very realistic. These modes can be layered to sound simultaneously along with the Organ and Accordion modes.

For me, the PC editor (free download from Roland) is a must to access/modify the Noel Program sets. Not sure if it will work with the Evo. Without the editor, you can access all the functions, view the screen and use the accordion controls to make the changes, but it is very tedious. Richard Noel told me he designed all his Program Banks before the PC Editor came out. He must have an extreme amount of patience and determination to this extensive program development with such "primitive tools".

The internal speakers of the 8X seem weak to me. An external speaker really adds a lot to the quality of the 8X tone.

Hope this helps,
John M.

Last edited:
The internal speakers of the 8X seem weak to me. An external speaker really adds a lot to the quality of the 8X tone.
That's because by default they run at 50% of maximum power. To get the full output, do the following:

Menu Section 14.4:
– Audio Boost: ON

With the above option, we’ve made the entire accordion louder at any given volume setting. If using external amplification, do not use as it does decrease battery life slightly. With this option activated, it releases the full 25 watt of the amps. up from the basic 15 wattt limitation, letting it get to full volume… perfect for those times you are performing and maybe strolling around or not using external amps/speakers.

Using bigger speakers with higher powered amps will make it sound better in a larger environment, but I had no issues being heard in a restaurant with over 80 people in it from the front of the room to the rear (roughly 40 X 60 foot room). :)

That's because by default they run at 50% of maximum power. To get the full output, do the following:

Menu Section 14.4:
– Audio Boost: ON

With the above option, we’ve made the entire accordion louder at any given volume setting. If using external amplification, do not use as it does decrease battery life slightly. With this option activated, it releases the full 25 watt of the amps. up from the basic 15 wattt limitation, letting it get to full volume… perfect for those times you are performing and maybe strolling around or not using external amps/speakers.

Using bigger speakers with higher powered amps will make it sound better in a larger environment, but I had no issues being heard in a restaurant with over 80 people in it from the front of the room to the rear (roughly 40 X 60 foot room). :)
Great tip! If I turn on the audio boost but turn down the overall volume knob, will that still use more battery power? I would be nice to have a little gain, if needed.

Yes it activates the full power of the amp, whether it's used or not... but its not like it will make a huge difference, but a drop in playing time of 10-20 percent can be expected.

Hello, I have seen many posts about Bugari EVO not supporting X8 PC editor and can't load Roland expansion sounds, USB port only for OS updates (some 2021) post. Is it currently possible to do these things? When buying Richard Noel's sound sets, I saw a different selections to buy in the dropdown menu for whether I want to download for X8 or EVO from this I understand that there is some difference. Thanks.

Hello, I have seen many posts about Bugari EVO not supporting X8 PC editor and can't load Roland expansion sounds, USB port only for OS updates (some 2021) post. Is it currently possible to do these things? When buying Richard Noel's sound sets, I saw a different selections to buy in the dropdown menu for whether I want to download for X8 or EVO from this I understand that there is some difference. Thanks.
Even for the 8X, Richard Noel will ask you what expansion sounds you have, as his User Programs are dependent on specific Expansion sounds. So probably the UPG files that he sends you have some small differences.

Roland's PC Editor will not run on the EVO and the Expansions (AccOrchestra, Alpine, Balkan, Dallape, etc.) cannot be loaded on the EVO.

You cannot use the Roland editor on an EVO. If you have an EVO, be sure to purchase sets made for it. 8X sets do not work on an EVO, many things are mapped out differently and missing on the EVO that a 8X has.

Thanks for your replies. I still have no electronic accordion, just trying to choose. Bugari looks attractive because sounds more natural when using an inner speaker (haven't tried it, just read) which looks to be a big advantage when playing on the stage (silent like regular jazz or valse, not some rock music with band). As the audience probably would want the sound to come from me, not from speakers which are on the sides, it may look strange IMO. Also heard that it has a more natural bellow feeling which is also quite good because I think it's good to maintain acoustic accordion playing skills.

Also, not quite sure if Bugari sounds good enough to play without internal speakers. In some thread, Paul mention that he wouldn't buy X8 as it doesn't produce a nice sound without an amplifier and also told in another thread with Bugari demo videos that from the video that Bugari sounds better possibly due to its wooden case. I wonder if in case of solo performance, for example, classical music using the external amp and internal speaker at once would be appropriate in such a case or better not to use the internal speaker when using the external one because Roland X8 internal speaker doesn't produce nice sound quality (according to Paul). Battery placement probably feels better on Bugari because the accordion is more balanced in terms of weight distribution (have read somewhere on this site), Bugari needs disassembling but I'm not sure how difficult is that disassembling, whether it would be possible to disassemble it with a screwdriver? Because someone mentioned that it's MUCH better to have a battery easily accessible, but if it's easy to disassemble the accordion, I don't see a lot of trouble here because I guess it's probably needed to change a battery only about every 3 years.
You cannot use the Roland editor on an EVO. If you have an EVO, be sure to purchase sets made for it. 8X sets do not work on an EVO, many things are mapped out differently and missing on the EVO that a 8X has.
Could you tell me what features are missing? And is it possible to customize Bugari Evo like in Roland editor? Because I understand that I could fully customize it using the in-built GUI of Evo as I'd do on Roland editor but it's not so convenient because you have to do everything on the Accordion screen. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Another aspect would be factory service. I saw somewhere JerryPH mentioned that Bugari doesn't have spare parts for the Bugari Evo accordion. Do you or your friends have any negative experiences with it? If yes, could you share?

Last edited:
Could you tell me what features are missing? And is it possible to customize Bugari Evo like in Roland editor? Because I understand that I could fully customize it using the in-built GUI of Evo as I'd do on Roland editor but it's not so convenient because you have to do everything on the Accordion screen. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Another aspect would be factory service. I saw somewhere JerryPH mentioned that Bugari doesn't have spare parts for the Bugari Evo accordion. Do you or your friends have any negative experiences with it? If yes, could you share?
Factory service is about the same for both, I would think. While with an 8X you may be able to go to any Roland repair center in the world, for the Evo there is one place world-wide... Petosa. Spare parts? There are way more 8X out there than Evo's... maybe what 20 to 1 maybe a lot more?

No expansion sets for the Bugari, you get what it has, period. There are 7 expansion sets for the 8X
No Roland editor
8X is thousands cheaper than the Evo
I am sure there is more, but I;ve just worked 23 hours in the last 2 days and I am really tired. Nite-nite!

I only use my 8X with a Bose L1 Compact external speaker. Even at home, when I am not playing out I use the Bose. The quality of the sound is so much better with the Bose than the 8X internal speakers. Also, I turn off the 8X speakers. I don't like the Bose and 8X on at the same time.

You do not need the PC Editor for the 8X. The editor just makes it a lot easier. There is nothing that can be done with the Editor that cannot be done with the "on board" screen editor of the 8X. It is just more of a pain "drilling" down through the menus of the 8X screen editor.

Richard Noel told me he created all of his UPG's with the 8X screen editor. This was before Roland made it available around 2016. How he did the detailed programming with that small screen is beyond me.

Factory service is about the same for both, I would think. While with an 8X you may be able to go to any Roland repair center in the world, for the Evo there is one place world-wide... Petosa. Spare parts? There are way more 8X out there than Evo's... maybe what 20 to 1 maybe a lot more?

No expansion sets for the Bugari, you get what it has, period. There are 7 expansion sets for the 8X
No Roland editor
8X is thousands cheaper than the Evo
I am sure there is more, but I;ve just worked 23 hours in the last 2 days and I am really tired. Nite-nite!
There were lots of strikes against the EVO when I tried it (and contrasted it against an 8x) and I’m sure there are more now. Sure, it sounds and feels more natural and acoustic-like than the 8x, and, if you want to spend the extra cash, it can look gorgeous or gaudy depending on your taste. But every buyer has to decide for themselves whether it’s worth the extra money. IMHO, even if the EVO is no longer being made, and dealer stocks are decreasing, no dealer is going to let it go for a rock-bottom price.

I only use my 8X with a Bose L1 Compact external speaker. Even at home, when I am not playing out I use the Bose. The quality of the sound is so much better with the Bose than the 8X internal speakers. Also, I turn off the 8X speakers. I don't like the Bose and 8X on at the same time.

You do not need the PC Editor for the 8X. The editor just makes it a lot easier. There is nothing that can be done with the Editor that cannot be done with the "on board" screen editor of the 8X. It is just more of a pain "drilling" down through the menus of the 8X screen editor.

Richard Noel told me he created all of his UPG's with the 8X screen editor. This was before Roland made it available around 2016. How he did the detailed programming with that small screen is beyond me.
OTOH, the FR-4x was released with the editor already available or not far behind. Given the somewhat cryptic abbreviations on the 4x screen, that editor is a must-have for any kind of customization.

I've just found out in the manual that X8 has bellows resistance settings based on the register and amount of notes pressed which looks like a very good thing to maintain acoustic accordion skills (especially when you've written on the scores where you're changing the bellow direction), I guess there is no setting to adjust how much the resistance decreases when pressing two notes instead of one or if we play higher or lower notes. However, while reading BreezeBellows review on Bugari EVO, he mentioned that bellows are not much different from X4. From that, I assume that Bugari doesn't have such advanced bellow settings as on X8 meaning that bellow resistance is the same despite the number of notes at the same time played and the register (switch) being used or does it have such settings? Please, let me know if there are more advanced bellow settings on any of these accordions, and correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe also there is a way to setup know much resistance give specific registers? What looks a bit confusing is that JerryPH mentioned that the depth of keys (you used the word "touch" and sorry for disturbing your sleep :D) on both 8x and Evo is the same but in the other post he mentioned that Bugari has a much faster keyboard. I wonder how could it be faster if the depth is the same or if there are any other parameters I'm not aware of. I know the X8 keyboard is plastic as opposed to Bugari wooden, but not quite sure if that compromises performance, I'd guess the shape of keys might have more influence than whether they're plastic or not. Unless that note-bending feature compromises the performance on X8 which is in Bugari on the master switch bar. Thanks.

Thanks for your replies. I still have no electronic accordion, just trying to choose. Bugari looks attractive because sounds more natural when using an inner speaker (haven't tried it, just read) which looks to be a big advantage when playing on the stage (silent like regular jazz or valse, not some rock music with band). As the audience probably would want the sound to come from me, not from speakers which are on the sides, it may look strange IMO. Also heard that it has a more natural bellow feeling which is also quite good because I think it's good to maintain acoustic accordion playing skills.

Also, not quite sure if Bugari sounds good enough to play without internal speakers. In some thread, Paul mention that he wouldn't buy X8 as it doesn't produce a nice sound without an amplifier and also told in another thread with Bugari demo videos that from the video that Bugari sounds better possibly due to its wooden case. I wonder if in case of solo performance, for example, classical music using the external amp and internal speaker at once would be appropriate in such a case or better not to use the internal speaker when using the external one because Roland X8 internal speaker doesn't produce nice sound quality (according to Paul). Battery placement probably feels better on Bugari because the accordion is more balanced in terms of weight distribution (have read somewhere on this site), Bugari needs disassembling but I'm not sure how difficult is that disassembling, whether it would be possible to disassemble it with a screwdriver? Because someone mentioned that it's MUCH better to have a battery easily accessible, but if it's easy to disassemble the accordion, I don't see a lot of trouble here because I guess it's probably needed to change a battery only about every 3 years.

Also heard that it has a more natural bellow feeling

I don’t think so the 8X has the proprietary software for bellows settings which has been discussed before which has many more settings then the Evo

Back