• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

best accordion ever heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are of course better accordions, but the best I ever heard was one my uncle had.. It was a Sonola SS-20 with tone chamber and hand made reeds, dry tuned, no internal mikes. He bought it in Italy at the factory.

I clicked this thread thinking you had FOUND the best accordion ever heard!

I will join my voice in the chorus for the old Italian masters (including when producing for Hohner) and their flagship models. Ditto for the Russian greats.

But there are a lot of other sounds I love... many of them found only on diatonics, and not always high-prestige ones. The depth and warmth of brass-tongued bass reeds in an early melodeon, or the honking tuba sound of helikon basses in a Heligonka or Steirische... The crisp, nostalgic sound of D/D# reeds on zinc plates... the perfectly-tuned 3rds on a Cajun 1-row... I could wax on!

There simply is no one "best"... IMHO there are 2 basic answers to that... one of which Tom already mentioned (the one thats in his hands at any given moment)... or simply "the one that sounds the best to you". Its more "favourites" than any true "absolute" final answer. :)

My preference? Easy, the only accordion that ever gave me goosebumps when playing it... a Hohner Gola.
How did I know you were going to say that ?

Reactions: Tom
You'll find your Gola, Jerry, I just know it!

Christmas 2020 I sold my LMMM Crucianelli. After two years I still didn't like the non-cassotto reeds. I wasn't planning to buy another big accordion, but the seller offered me this at a very low price while telling me: 'When you hear it, you'll want it.' He was right. Since that time it has been in the hands of several professional players. They all tell me that the sound is simply gorgeous. There are, without doubt, better accordions, but this one is great and I play it every day.

Fratelli Crosio.jpg

"one is great and I play it every day." Definitely the best, and a beautiful one at that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back