• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The Best Repairer Is An Accordion Builder

Didn't someone once post, here, how they were intending to make a coupler slide using a 3D printer?🤔
I wonder how that turned out?

Last edited:
Didn't someone once post, here, how they were intending to make a coupler slide using a 3D printer?🤔
I wonder how that turned out?
Someone did post about that but I don't know how it turned out. There are two main issues with the idea: 1) the slide needs to be thin and very uniformly thin which is not something 3D printers excel at (so some sanding and polishing will be required) and 2) the slide most likely needs to be longer than the 3D printer can print (even diagonally). But of course none of these arguments mean that it cannot be done...

The 3D printing technique is not something I've gotten involved in but the idea fascinates me; no need to post something round the world, just send a computer programme! Many parts need to be made from a specific material (not just plastics) and I wonder if versatile the 3D printing process is in handling different material.

dunno if i mentioned.. i guess it is the natural offshoot of 3d Printing,
similar software apparently.. my neighbor has set one up and is learning it..
instead of printing, it is a lazer cutter and can cut to a fair depth apparently
with wicked accuracy (it looks/works similar to a 3d printer)

so i can easily imagine if you have the correct thiness of sheet aluminum,
simply plotting then cutting a shift coupler or the slide shutter under the reedblock
woud be possible

dunno if it is powerful enough to cut Steel for reeds (yet) but i imagine
that level will also be affordable to the average Joe before long.. maybe cut
the hole for the rivet too with the laser.. i mean they can do that with industrial
lasers now (maybe not affordably for a reedmaker though) but all this kind of stuff
is coming within reach in the near future i believe.

so the neighbor is hoping to do fancy engravings on exotic materials for money,
and he wants to cut a Strat body from an ancient piece of Swamp Ash with it..
also he said swapping the laser for a router is part of the "package" for this
control thing so the machine and software will control the routing for the
pickups and all that too

interesting possibilities..

A couple of years ago that guy had printed a concertina, and then he states:

"My concertina is almost entirely fabricated on a 3D printer - meaning that it's made of mostly plastic. In the prototype, only the reeds and bellows are made in the traditional way, though I am quite close to fabricating these on a 3D printer too."

I wonder how that goes 4 years later, although there is nothing about it on his page now

http://edwardjay.net/paragraphsView.aspx?siteid=38&headerid=60&siteHeader=Home (article)
http://edwardjay.net/paragraphsView.aspx?siteid=61&headerid=99&siteHeader=FAQs

The 3D printing technique is not something I've gotten involved in but the idea fascinates me; no need to post something round the world, just send a computer programme! Many parts need to be made from a specific material (not just plastics) and I wonder if versatile the 3D printing process is in handling different material.

Concrete houses and bridges have been produced and titanium powder in suspension with post printing heating seems to work too.

instead of printing, it is a lazer cutter and can cut to a fair depth apparently
with wicked accuracy (it looks/works similar to a 3d printer
I've seen these in action on some tv shows, cutting replacement gear wheels from steel: awesome!🙂

Back