• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Bagpipes to FR1-X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walleye

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any way to add a bagpipe sound to the Roland FR1-x?
Thanks!

Hi,
I've noticed one of the orchestral sounds in the FRX-1 Set Editor called Highland. I don't know if this is bagpipes. I've created a Set with it in and will load into my FRX-1 shortly to find out. I'll let you know,
Frances

While this comment is clearly irrelevant to built-in Roland sounds, the V3 Desktop CE521 can be driven by MIDI instruments to produce magnificent bagpipe music.
If you want the best (short of a real piper) try A short demo of V3 pipes and drums:
<YOUTUBE id=hZ6RcfeOuPM url=></YOUTUBE>

Hi,
Well I loaded the Highland sound from the FRX-1 Set Editor and it sounds like a scalded cat. It's certainly trying to be bagpipes, but I cannot seem to control it with the bellows to get pure notes right down the keyboard range. Maybe it can be worked at.

Previous demo sent by the expert is amazing!
Frances

If you think the demo was mine (TW), FrancesG, I should reply "if only it were"!
Unfortunately the gear is not supplied with built-in talent.....

The player was Roy Hendrie (of Roy Hendrie Music) a champion accordionist and leader of Oran Mor.

Ah. It sounded fantastic.

Have you any theories why this so called "Highland" orchestral treble choice from the Roland FR-1x Set Editor should sound so awful, or perhaps tips on how to use the bellows or keys with it.?

I've just loaded up the Alpine and Orchestral extension packages too, and noticed there's all sorts of settings in the volume, Panpot and Bellows Detune on the treble and also Reverb send and Chorus Send in the Chord Bass. Would adjusting these help?

As you see I'm a complete beginner,
Frances

I dont perform with a FR-1x , but have played them and repaired them for some time now. I love the little box for what it does, but never tried the pipes on it.
My old FR-7 and my FR-7x has impressive pipe effects. Once in a while I sign out on a FR-8x but never used the pipes mode.
The sounds here might help --

<YOUTUBE id=jmU1MGki8lE url=></YOUTUBE>

That was interesting! Funnily enough the Highland treble sound I loaded is split between a drone sound on the lower notes, and the pipe sound on the higher notes of my keyboard. No wonder I couldn't achieve a tune over the whole board!

But even from this accomplished demo I don't think the bagpipe sound is worth bothering with compared to your first video.

Thanks for your help and comments,
Frances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back