• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Any experienced accordion service in Monterey CA, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yc360

Reaction score
I am in Monterey, California. This used to be and for the most part still is a stronghold of Italian Americans. I am surprised there's no Accordion of any sort found on Google around here, retail/service/for-sale ads even. It's like a accordion dead zone. I had to get my accordions from Philadelphia and Chicago online, which is not efficient to say the least. Now I have this Hohner Morino IV M with poker chip switches from the 1950s, that needs tuning and some reed work done. But I can't find anybody around here. Please respond if you know someone. Thanks in advance!
P.S. I did attempt DIY on a smaller La Tosca accordion not long ago, and learned the hard way that I am definitely not up to it. I love the Morino and want to get it done right. Any lead is appreciated!

Thanks, Jim! Of the 2 listed for California, do you have an opinion on either or both of them? Your expert advise is really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I am NOT an expert by any means but I would at least contact Kimric Smythe of smyth's accordion repair in Oakland. I had a fair dealing with him recently. I did not have repair work done by Smythe's but he offered me a very fair price for an instrument I was selling after I decided to not have it repaired. I found him to be straightforward, knowledgeable and honest.

Kimric is also a member here.
If that means anything to you.

Fantastic! I do hope that Mr. Kimric Smythe might comment on this post. I really want to keep the Morino. The action is perfect, bellows look great. Only some of the reeds need to get fixed. This Morino is nothing like the La Tosca I messed with before. The screws are smaller and seem to require much more experienced hands. I will give him a call late and seek his advise. I am 2 hour+ drive from his place. Crossing my fingers! Thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back