• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Accordion Identification

Popster

Reaction score
Hi,

It's lovely to now be part of this Forum.

I recently inherited a rather pretty, but slightly worn accordion, but am unsure as to what exact make or style the accordion is.

Any help with identifying the provenance of the instrument as to make or model would be greatly appreciated.

It's got a SOPRANI name inlaid on the body, but no further identifying marks or points of identification.

Everything appears to work as it should, which is great. The concept of learning a new instrument is thoroughly daunting however.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

James

20240422_142816.jpg20240422_142828.jpg20240422_142841.jpg20240422_142935.jpg20240422_142925.jpg

Attachments

• 20240422_142834.jpg
    20240422_142834.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 10
I believe you have a β€œPre World War II 80 bass piano accordion,” made in Italy by one of the Soprani companies. Likely with 2 treble and 3 bass reed sets. A beautiful entry level accordion that, due to its age, could sound and play anywhere from nice to terrible! Good luck! Value either as collectible or musical based on condition.

I believe you have a β€œPre World War II 80 bass piano accordion,” made in Italy by one of the Soprani companies. Likely with 2 treble and 3 bass reed sets. A beautiful entry level accordion that, due to its age, could sound and play anywhere from nice to terrible! Good luck! Value either as collectible or musical based on condition.
Wow, that's amazing. Thank you so much for the information. I do play other instruments, but not that well, and slightly daunted by playing this. It sounds like it has the capacity to sound amazing, but maybe not in my hands yet!

Reactions: Tom
That's a beautiful instrument, incredibly ornate. Amazing, thanks for sharing!

The bass side is very similar to one of my accordions - which is a Settimio Soprani from the late 1930s.

Sorry, I don't have any better photos, it's been in bits for a while :rolleyes:

Attachments

• settimio - 1.jpeg
    settimio - 1.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 9
Looks nice. Does it play? It would be a fine instrument to learn on, and not too heavy. I would expect to need to replace the shoulder straps soon, and possibly the bass strap. But that's only worth doing if the reeds are in good enough condition to play.

Yes, it does seem to play. However I'm not sure I'm in a position to judge if there are issues with reeds etc. It seems like quite a stretch to move from playing a guitar to this, so may require some application to get started.

A simple test would be to play each right-hand key twice: once with the bellows closing, once with them opening (accordions use a different reed on the push and the pull). Do all of the notes sound? Do they sound pretty similar or do some of the reeds sound weird or way out of tune? If it passes that test, you've got a fine instrument to learn on.

Back