• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

accordion brand rankings

Well I own a "Chinese" E Soprani (cheap & new) a Hohner Cordovox (60s, decent) and an old Carmen (50s made by Hohner?) that was likely a starter model.

To me they just have their own quirks and sound and I love them all. I've played a couple "great" accordions I've had the luck to try from other folks and while they're nice and neat I'm perfectly happy with my set and I'm not sure I would ever personally spend 5k+ on one. I don't mean that as a dig for anyone with lovely high end accordions, like others have said it is about personal satisfaction.

My old 1996 Chevy truck is still going and it sees the repair garage way less often than these new computerized trucks on the road and looks better (to me), just sayin.

Too many variables to even be close to accurate. For instance you could order the same model accordion with different grades or brands of reeds. So you could get a well known brand with crappy reeds or tuned strangely, or vice versa. So we deal with generalities and have to hear and play it to make any sort of judgement call. Just my take on it.

. . . . My old 1996 Chevy truck is still going and it sees the repair garage way less often than these new computerized trucks on the road and looks better (to me), just sayin.
Besides seeing the repair garage less often, the repair is usually very easy and you can do it yourself. Working on today's cars are nearly impossible and the manufacturer's don't want you touching them.

SideNote: A friend of mine wanted to replace the front rotors/brake pads on his Chevy/GM SUV (I believe it was a 2022). He buys all the necessary parts to do the repair. He jacks up the SUV, compresses the caliper, removes the two bolts holding on the caliper and lifts the caliper off to put on the new brake pads. To his surprise, when he got the caliper off in his hand, the caliper started going to the fully closed compressed position. He thought, Oh sh**. He preyed and preyed to open the caliper to get the new pads on. It was impossible. He called the Chevy dealer. They said, "Oh, you are not supposed to do that". The car computer recognizes, that an unauthorized person, is trying to remove the caliper and the software issues a "close" command to the caliper and the only way to open the caliper is to bring it to a Chevy dealer to program the correct code to open the caliper so that they can replace the pads.

S-o-o, my friend had to call a tow truck (because now he can't move his car) and have it towed to the Chevy dealer for the repair. He did this. I don't have to say, he was pi**ed. He now had the cost of towing it to the dealer, the high cost of OEM GM parts, GM labor, returning his purchased pads, rotors to the local parts store -- and his time/frustration.

Last edited:
Besides seeing the repair garage less often, the repair is usually very easy and you can do it yourself. Working on today's cars are nearly impossible and the manufacturer's don't want you touching them.

SideNote: A friend of mine wanted to replace the front rotors/brake pads on his Chevy/GM SUV (I believe it was a 2022). He buys all the necessary parts to do the repair. He jacks up the SUV, compresses the caliper, removes the two bolts holding on the caliper and lifts the caliper off to put on the new brake pads. To his surprise, when he got the caliper off in his hand, the caliper started going to the fully closed compressed position. He thought, Oh sh**. He preyed and preyed to open the caliper to get the new pads on. It was impossible. He called the Chevy dealer. They said, "Oh, you are not supposed to do that". The car computer recognizes, that an unauthorized person, is trying to remove the caliper and the software issues a "close" command to the caliper and the only way to open the caliper is to bring it to a Chevy dealer to program the correct code to open the caliper so that they can replace the pads.

S-o-o, my friend had to call a tow truck (because now he can't move his car) and have it towed to the Chevy dealer for the repair. He did this. I don't have to say, he was pi**ed. He now had the cost of towing it to the dealer, the high cost of OEM GM parts, GM labor, returning his purchased pads, rotors to the local parts store -- and his time/frustration.
not to sound too 'tin foil hat' but I trust anything with a motherboard less than I trust the squirrels in my orchard. Give me the old fashioned stuff I understand. At this point in my life I find myself looking for good old reliable 2 stroke motors for all my tools and toys because given the right love they go forever and ever.

not to sound too 'tin foil hat' but I trust anything with a motherboard less than I trust the squirrels in my orchard. Give me the old fashioned stuff I understand. At this point in my life I find myself looking for good old reliable 2 stroke motors for all my tools and toys because given the right love they go forever and ever.
That's kind of my worry with the hybrid mechanic/electronic converter from Beltuna. My 1960 Morino lets me pick the standard bass octave mechanically. It will still be serviceable in 100 years. It will still be a headache to service. But not impossible.

I agree. I love my Stihl 2 stroke chainsaw, weedwaker, leaf blower, etc. But, I still like my 4 stroke engines, 1948 Farmall Cub, with magneto, Ariens snowblower, Walker Zero Turn mower, etc. For me, the 2-stroke engines were a little more temperamental and harder to start/tune than a 4 stroke. My favorite 2 stroke (that I recently sold) was a Frazer Farm Rototiller that was built in 1948. It was all gear driven and would out perform any Rototiller available on the market today (Troy, Husqvarna, Honda, Craftsman, Etc.). However, it was a Bear to start -- not that it wouldn't fire -- it just took a lot of of "oomph" to turn over the engine. A beautiful simple design -- minimal parts -- no valves in the engine block or carburetor. The piston was the valve, as it would pass over intake/exhaust ports in the cylinder wall -- Ball bearings on the crankshaft, roller needle bearings for the piston wrist pin and connecting rod. One major problem in today's world -- The EPA -- This engine put out a "little blue smoke", to say the least.

hehe.. my Harley has a Wico Magneto, as do many of those old Farm tractors

and i still have a venerable older-than-me Rototiller.. still use it..
it was the one advertised in the old ads n Popular Mechanics magazines..
the model was terribly non-PC as it was called "Daddy's little Ho"
in print and on the iD plate

things sure were different back then

That Wico magneto was exactly what was on my Frazer Rototiller. That thing was so hard to turn over, it had to have a magneto with the "impulse" coupling that would give a hot spark at TDC, then disengage and advance the spark about 13 degrees after the engine started. Small Briggs & Stratton engines didn't need the extra "design feature" of an independent gear driven magneto. They just put the magnets in the flywheel -- that worked fine for the little "4 stroke" engine.

hello Debra

from what i remember (it is convoluted) Giulietti had a special arrangement
with the ORIGINAL Zero-Sette company
(similar to how Montgomery Ward held a special right to the use of and image of
Rudolph the red nosed reindeer) in perpetuity, for the life of the original company,
in specially designated market areas worldwide and/or advertising

when Monty Ward finally filed bankruptcy, even though their name resurfaced
some years later, they no longer held a right to Rudolph

when Zero-Sette lost it's factory but before they totally disappeared sort of
at the last moment (but not in bankruptcy court, as the SEM name had been taken)
Bugari stepped in as a "Friend" - but the original entity of Zero lost it's special
rights arrangement to Guilietti (and Fausto went into retirement)

there was also a brief period when Petosa was scrambling to find a new source, and
this contract was likely a deciding factor for Bugari's kindness)

the remaining Giulietti Family in the USA resisted for a long time any future
licensing of their name, so it did pass for a time completely out of existence

then a limited "right" was sold to/arranged with Petosa and a few models
were whipped together, but it appears the breadth of Petosa's marketing was
somewhat overloaded with top-dollar items and the Giulietti name seems to
have regressed to whomever die-hard buyers may want that nameplate on
their new accordion regardless of reality

i think the key thing to remember here is that Zero made bajillions of private
label accordions shipped to America
(they never really marketed their own brand name here)
and the thing that set these 1000's of clone/brands apart was the FINISHING
they received by the various American shops/pseudo factories

most of the Castiglione private label were Zero's, DaVinci, countless small
accordion schools, etc.

Petosa wins their right to brag from their seemingly infinite patience and ability
to finesse the key-action and the tuning and a few special exclusives they
contract for (like material used for the tone chambers)

Giulietti won their right to brag primarily because they had built a huge
reedmaking facility in their factory and even the models that used
Italian reeds were fitted and finished with those reeds here in America,
and they also had a few physical engineering exclusives from company
held designs and patents and contracts implemented by Zero exclusively for G models
(similar to Titano's exclusive design, patent and contract arrangements with Victoria)

it is possible that you, in Europe, have only seen Gulietti's built for
the Euro Market by Zero, and so have never worked on actual Guilietti reeds,
but this is really what sets their classic vintage top end accordions apart
and makes certain models truly desirable

many American reedsmiths learned their trade from Guiletti, and you can
find echo's of their skills hidden in some Universal and other brands of
american accordion houses

even after the second world war, there was a lot of reedmaking being
done here in the States, which was quickly won over by lower wages in Italy
in the 1940/50's and lasted until the Italian baby boomer generation, looking
to the big cities of Europe and modern jobs, kind of killed the reedmaking
industry in Italy for a time (which precipitated all the new ways
to market reeds that are not hand-made, but make you think they are,
as for a few decades there simply were not enough honest to god reedmakers
to go around)

oh, this has been long-winded after all... your experience may shed
a different perspective on this timeline, but from this side is as i remember it

and i do still have my one, original, vintage, Montgomery Ward
Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer Shopping Bag which i would
not trade for a brand new Sleigh !

ciao

Ventura
How many "D"s are in Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer? 240.
Dee-Dee Dee-Dee Dee Dee Dee,
Dee-Dee Dee-Dee Dee Dee Dee

......................................Dee-----------------------------------------------------Dee
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Nose
..........Dee............................ Dee_____-----------------Dee.................Dee
Dee...........Dee............................. Dee-----------Dee............. Dee................Dee

............................. Dee

Just figure out a way to drive directly off the connecting rod (to get the "back & forth" motion) or an external reciprocating box with the correct step down ratio. Also, need to get rid of the exhaust, so you won't pass out -- or -- always play outside.

Just figure out a way to drive directly off the connecting rod (to get the "back & forth" motion) or an external reciprocating box with the correct step down ratio. Also, need to get rid of the exhaust, so you won't pass out -- or -- always play outside.
Is it possible the exhaust makes the music seem better?

As for Titano - the models made up to the 70's were made by Victoria and will have an oval name tag on the reverse of
the bass machine with the model # inside of it. The later models that were and are made by Pigini don't have the oval plate.
The Pigini models are Well Made but do not have the same Quality Build of Victoria models.
I wonder if the decline in their quality was due to the shift in manufacturers, or just the general decline in quality of ALL Italian-made accordions around that time?

I wonder if the decline in their quality was due to the shift in manufacturers, or just the general decline in quality of ALL Italian-made accordions around that time?
I would not say it is really a decline in quality. What I have experienced with Pigini is that all accordions made by Pigini sound like a Pigini, no matter whether they say Pigini or something else (like Titano, Dise, Hohner Morino from after 2000, with black registers...). When people buy a Titano or Morino they expect a different sound, and that may lead to a disappointment. A Titano made by Victoria does not sound like a Victoria made by Victoria. It's a matter of following the design wanted by the owner of the brand name and not just "doing your own thing and slapping a name on it".

Anyone have any input on Cooperafisa and Stucco brand instruments? They seem to be popular with Italian players that I've seen/heard on YouTube--like Gaetano Galbato.....not that I'm in the market for one....just curious....

There are others here much more knowledgeable than I, but Cooperfisa of Vercelli in Northern Italy is one of the makers not based in Castelfidardo. They were a venerable Italian concern under the name Cooperativa Armoniche that had a restructuring of some sort about a decade-ish ago IIRC. Now they are Cooperfisa Vercelli, but you still see "Cooperativa" on some of the output. I believe their quality reputation continues to be high. They seem to use old-school methods such as nailed reeds on some instruments.

"The Accordion Shop" in the UK appears to get some of their stuff in stock at times, as do some of the French dealers. Never seen one in stock in the US:

Back