• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

accordion brand rankings

The best accordion ever made is dallape supermaestro 70's
If you mean the 1976 Dallape Supermaestro V Centenario (with chromed bass switches :love:) I would think that is a very good choice!

You know... legend has it that after Giovanni Gola retired from Hohner and returned to Stradella in 1975 he met up with his old employers and provided input into the Dallape accordions for the centennial year to make them extra special...​

If you mean the 1976 Dallape Supermaestro V Centenario (with chromed bass switches :love:) I would think that is a very good choice!

You know... legend has it that after Giovanni Gola retired from Hohner and returned to Stradella in 1975 he met up with his old employers and provided input into the Dallape accordions for the centennial year to make them extra special...​
That is corect! Omg you read my mind! It is an amazing instrument don't know what they did to it.... i will attach some pictures here.
In truly amazing condition!20231216_143244.jpg

Attachments

• 20231216_094228.jpg
    20231216_094228.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231216_095356.jpg
    20231216_095356.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231216_142500.jpg
    20231216_142500.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 14

What this illustrates most of all is that there is no best model overall from any manufacturer. There are undocumented changes that happen from year to year and that may make an accordion model better or worse and you just don't know if and when that happens. And then, when considering such older accordions you need to also know the specific maintenance history of an accordion, because there is always a risk that an initially nice accordion has been handled by a butcher and thereby essentially lost most of its value, perhaps without the owner realizing it...
And anyway, it doesn't really matter which accordions exist that may be somewhat or even vastly superior to that what you already own, especially if there is no way to ever obtain the better accordion.
And apart from technical quality there is also the very subjective matter of the sound. An accordion sound loved by some may be hated by others...

What this illustrates most of all is that there is no best model overall from any manufacturer. There are undocumented changes that happen from year to year and that may make an accordion model better or worse and you just don't know if and when that happens. And then, when considering such older accordions you need to also know the specific maintenance history of an accordion, because there is always a risk that an initially nice accordion has been handled by a butcher and thereby essentially lost most of its value, perhaps without the owner realizing it...
And anyway, it doesn't really matter which accordions exist that may be somewhat or even vastly superior to that what you already own, especially if there is no way to ever obtain the better accordion.
And apart from technical quality there is also the very subjective matter of the sound. An accordion sound loved by some may be hated by others...
That's so much nonsense! There's top models and budget models,massive difference in sound and quality! And when you pay a fortune to buy such a special accordion you will not take it to any "butcher"
This for me sounds like a jealousy comment! Hahaha! What accordion do you own and play? And another thing if you like accordions you cant hate any sound maybe not like it that much but hate is a different thing.but anyway if you hate the tone of a supermaestro and like a marinuci mussette then you should change to trumpet playing or harp or i dont know....

That's so much nonsense! There's top models and budget models,massive difference in sound and quality! And when you pay a fortune to buy such a special accordion you will not take it to any "butcher"
This for me sounds like a jealousy comment! Hahaha! What accordion do you own and play? And another thing if you like accordions you cant hate any sound maybe not like it that much but hate is a different thing.but anyway if you hate the tone of a supermaestro and like a marinuci mussette then you should change to trumpet playing or harp or i dont know....
May I humbly suggest that you look up previous postings by Paul De Bra and also look carefully in a full length mirror to study your own elevated self opinion.

this triggers the second ignore setting for me
"Messages: 11". Haven't we all had those moments where we started off on the wrong foot in mouth? It's happened to me that using the search functions I hit on some old post that triggered me to start composing a somewhat condescending rebuke just to notice in time that I was replying to an old post of mine. Good thing that cannot happen in a pub. And in real life, you also get a better chance at reading the room before setting your hair on fire.

Last edited:
There are top models indeed, like the Hohner Gola and Scandalli Super VI. But there is a world of difference between a Gola from the 1960's and a Gola from around 2000. (And I have worked on both.) And there is a world of difference between a Scandalli Super VI from the 1960's and a Super VI from around 2000. A friend of mine has a Super VI from the 1960's and has experienced that a repairer tried (and failed) to convince her that the reeds needed to be replaced (which just means the repairer wanted to steal the old high quality reeds that are no longer being made). And I have just finished work on a Super VI XL from about 20 years ago and it is clearly no longer the absolute top quality accordion the Super VI was in the 1960's. It's not bad, but for instance the leather valves (treble side) inside the reed blocks do not have booster springs, which is a disaster for the ones in cassotto. Nobody who makes a top accordion would leave out the booster springs inside the reed blocks. It's a cost-cutting measure unworthy of an accordion that is labeled Scandalli Super VI.
It is very unfortunate that way too many accordion dealers with supposedly good reputations hire nothing less than butchers to do repairs. There are no official degrees or licenses to become an accordion repairer: everyone can start an accordion repair business and start butchering accordions. And as most accordion players by far are amateurs who do not look inside their accordion and who are happy with repairs and tuning they will give good ratings to repairers and spread the word how happy they are with the work, even though when experts look inside the accordions they find out that for instance the reeds have been butchered using a Dremel. I have friends who do accordion repair as well (and for much longer than I do it) and they can confirm that even high end accordions come in that show clear signs of having been butchered, by the repairers of supposedly reputable dealers.
Sorry, but I do know that a Hohner Gola from 1960 was a top accordion when it was new. But whether a specific Hohner Gola from 1960 is still a top accordion really requires close inspection inside and out. Too many of them have indeed been butchered. On this forum JerryPH traveled from Canada to Germany to buy a 1960's Gola and take it back to Canada. You cannot trust that any old Gola is still in tip top shape and worth the money and have it shipped to you. You have to go see it and try it. That's how it is.
And there are top models of today as well, with some properties that cannot be matched by the top accordions from yesteryear. When you try a Pigini Nova for instance it you will find out that it is lighter to the touch than any accordion from 60 to 70 years ago. The same holds for the top instruments of other brands as well.
What I own and play? I play mostly the Pigini C39 bass accordion as I like the bass accordion a lot and play it in 5 different ensembles. It may not be the best bass accordion but it is currently the only 3 voice bass accordion with registers that's still in production. (Before that I had a Bugari bass accordion, and quality-wise the Bugari was better, but it was only 2 voice without registers.) For regular accordions I play mostly my AKKO bayan (model "super de luxe") and occasionally my Hohner (morino) Artiste X S, a Bugari 508/ARS/C and a Bugari 540/ARS/C. These accordions are all used in the recordings on my YouTube channel. All of these are really good accordions, but none of them are absolute top accordions. I am not a good-enough player to feel worthy of playing the absolute top (even though I could afford a top instrument, or even a few if I wanted). I feel privileged to sometimes get a chance to handle a top accordion and be allowed to do repairs and tuning on it. I may not be the best and certainly not the most experienced accordion repairer, but I have yet to meet any other accordion repairer who tunes better (more accurately) than I do.

All of these are really good accordions, but none of them are absolute top accordions. I am not a good-enough player to feel worthy of playing the absolute top
I agree completely for my situation too. A really good accordion is my indulgence; an absolute top accordion would be a waste!

I agree completely for my situation too. A really good accordion is my indulgence; an absolute top accordion would be a waste!
Exactly! My dream accordion is a Bugari Nextra (61 notes, just a tad smaller than a full size 64 note bayan). But if I were to actually buy another accordion it would likely be a Bugari 580/ARS/C. These two are basically the same, but the Nextra has everything "a bit better", and the "law of diminishing returns" then dictates that the Nextra is 40 to 50% more expensive than the 580... and an outsider would probably not even see the difference, and in the hands of an amateur like me probably also not hear the difference. (As a player I'm expecting I would notice the difference, like a lighter touch, but for my level of playing it doesn't matter.)

There are top models indeed, like the Hohner Gola and Scandalli Super VI. But there is a world of difference between a Gola from the 1960's and a Gola from around 2000. (And I have worked on both.) And there is a world of difference between a Scandalli Super VI from the 1960's and a Super VI from around 2000. A friend of mine has a Super VI from the 1960's and has experienced that a repairer tried (and failed) to convince her that the reeds needed to be replaced (which just means the repairer wanted to steal the old high quality reeds that are no longer being made). And I have just finished work on a Super VI XL from about 20 years ago and it is clearly no longer the absolute top quality accordion the Super VI was in the 1960's. It's not bad, but for instance the leather valves (treble side) inside the reed blocks do not have booster springs, which is a disaster for the ones in cassotto. Nobody who makes a top accordion would leave out the booster springs inside the reed blocks. It's a cost-cutting measure unworthy of an accordion that is labeled Scandalli Super VI.
It is very unfortunate that way too many accordion dealers with supposedly good reputations hire nothing less than butchers to do repairs. There are no official degrees or licenses to become an accordion repairer: everyone can start an accordion repair business and start butchering accordions. And as most accordion players by far are amateurs who do not look inside their accordion and who are happy with repairs and tuning they will give good ratings to repairers and spread the word how happy they are with the work, even though when experts look inside the accordions they find out that for instance the reeds have been butchered using a Dremel. I have friends who do accordion repair as well (and for much longer than I do it) and they can confirm that even high end accordions come in that show clear signs of having been butchered, by the repairers of supposedly reputable dealers.
Sorry, but I do know that a Hohner Gola from 1960 was a top accordion when it was new. But whether a specific Hohner Gola from 1960 is still a top accordion really requires close inspection inside and out. Too many of them have indeed been butchered. On this forum JerryPH traveled from Canada to Germany to buy a 1960's Gola and take it back to Canada. You cannot trust that any old Gola is still in tip top shape and worth the money and have it shipped to you. You have to go see it and try it. That's how it is.
And there are top models of today as well, with some properties that cannot be matched by the top accordions from yesteryear. When you try a Pigini Nova for instance it you will find out that it is lighter to the touch than any accordion from 60 to 70 years ago. The same holds for the top instruments of other brands as well.
What I own and play? I play mostly the Pigini C39 bass accordion as I like the bass accordion a lot and play it in 5 different ensembles. It may not be the best bass accordion but it is currently the only 3 voice bass accordion with registers that's still in production. (Before that I had a Bugari bass accordion, and quality-wise the Bugari was better, but it was only 2 voice without registers.) For regular accordions I play mostly my AKKO bayan (model "super de luxe") and occasionally my Hohner (morino) Artiste X S, a Bugari 508/ARS/C and a Bugari 540/ARS/C. These accordions are all used in the recordings on my YouTube channel. All of these are really good accordions, but none of them are absolute top accordions. I am not a good-enough player to feel worthy of playing the absolute top (even though I could afford a top instrument, or even a few if I wanted). I feel privileged to sometimes get a chance to handle a top accordion and be allowed to do repairs and tuning on it. I may not be the best and certainly not the most experienced accordion repairer, but I have yet to meet any other accordion repairer who tunes better (more accurately) than I do.
Very well said Paul - straight to the point(s). (y)

Very nice! I never played a Gola or a super 6 myself! I have a few accordions...im not a novice...the first thing when i buy an accordion is to check the inside.wax,reeds,valves....most of them have scratched reeds and it s awfull, im always avoiding them,but if there's only a few reeds scratched then i would probably buy it.on the other hand if no work was done to it and never opened you have found a potentially gem which requires a lot of time and money to fix...not easy!

Very nice! I never played a Gola or a super 6 myself! I have a few accordions...im not a novice...the first thing when i buy an accordion is to check the inside.wax,reeds,valves....most of them have scratched reeds and it s awfull, im always avoiding them,but if there's only a few reeds scratched then i would probably buy it.on the other hand if no work was done to it and never opened you have found a potentially gem which requires a lot of time and money to fix...not easy!
Scratched reeds on older accordions is perfectly normal. It is the way a tuner will lower the frequency of notes during the tuning process. Some manufacturers deliver new accordions without any visible scratches. The way they achieve this is by scratching the bottom of the outer reed instead of the top. It makes the reeds look good but in fact the reeds themselves are in no better shape than when the outside is scratched.
However when the reed tip shows significant signs of filing and the half towards the rivet also shows significant amount of scratching it means the reed was tuned both up and down a lot and that's not a good sign.
When I get an accordion in for tuning that is, say 20 years old, and the reeds show no signs of scratching it only means one thing: the accordion was never tuned in 20 years and it will be a lot of work... (The Scandalli Super VI LX I just tuned was like that.)

Good thing that cannot happen in a pub. And in real life, you also get a better chance at reading the room before setting your hair on fire.

ahh.. it appears christib has left the building anyway, so i am back to one iggy

it can happen in a pub.. just means likely get my ass kicked

hair on fire ? yes !!!
i do try and NOT hit send until the next morning after composing an
impassioned or particularly opinionated and long winded post

As Maria M famously said, “It’s not the meat, it’s the motion.” I understand that there are better playing and sounding cordeens than my own but I just want one that stays together and makes this mama wanna rock. It’s up to me…. and you.

It's not like the instrument is worn down like a current-day household appliance. I'll leave behind both my main accordion and my violin in a better state than what I started with. The accordion is somewhat older than I am, the violin more than thrice my age. They keep up better than their owners do. The predecessor of my instrument is sitting in the Harmonikamuseum in Trossingen as an exhibit (check out this location of the promotional video, second instrument from the right in the glass case). Arguably it got the shorter end of the stick. Instruments are for playing.

Back