• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

A strange sound in my reed

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Reaction score
When this reed is played loud it sounds fine but at certain level of loudness it plays a strange sound. I played it with the register set at the position where only this reed is played.

I took this reed plate off and played it on my testing box/bellows. The same problem was displayed. I examined it carefully but could not find anything wrong. The only thing I found abnormal is that a corner of the tip of the reed looked in the shape of a wedge.

I am attaching a recording of the sound and a picture. Please help me find what is wrong here. Thanks!

Attachments

• Reed-A.mp3
    680 KB · Views: 48
  • reed.jpg
    reed.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 724
The tongue is loose on the rivet.

Thank you both Geoff and Jim!

Following your suggestions I checked and worked on them. I removed the valve on the reed next to the problem reed and re-glued it. The problem still existed. I then hammered on the rivet of the problem reed and the problem still existed. I then removed the valve on the problem reed. Just before I removed the valve I noticed part of the valve at its base was not glued securely to the plate. I took the valve off and re-glued it. The problem is gone. I wish I had examined closer earlier.

Thank you both, again!

The loose rivet is a new one on me, I have worked on english made concertinas for many years and their reeds are clamped with screws.... but I will look out for the loosly rivetted reed.

The Valves; yes can be one or the other..... Good that you found the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back