• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

A boy and his atom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting! Thanks Pippa!

Are you an atom smasher by trade Pippa or just interested in all things infinitesimal?

I'm an eternal student by trade... but yes my undergraduate degree was Chemistry :ugeek:

I was an atom smasher in my youth but from the physics side.
Those were the days, standing in the lab at 2am trying to get your experiment to record data.

Physics scares me a little bit... :shock: what did you do?

Oh I was just a nuclear structure physicist at an International European research facility, keeping myself to myself.

My son is building a neutrino detector. I haven't a clue, I just hope he gets a job like Glenn.

Hi Tom,

Interesting. Is he working on some of the massive swimming pool type detectors?
They are fascinating and very expensive machines with whole armies of engineers.
Funny that, accordions are fascinating and expensive machines.
Thanks goodness they spare us the army of engineers.

Hi Glenn,

Its called the NOvA Neutrino Project in Minnesota. He builds these modules that are like tubes filled with oil. Apparently they connect thousands of them then shoot neutrinos from Chicago and try to detect them. Go figure!

Here is a description:

http://www.d.umn.edu/unirel/homepage/09/neutrino.html

Thanks, tom

Sounds interesting Tom.
Takes me back to the good old days.
Maybe if there are any other physicists on this forum we can start a "physics of the accordion thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back