• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

I got this bad boy today!

Very nice! I have no idea of the model, but I am intrigued by the 'extra' stradella buttons, and that does seem to be a lot of register buttons.

Very nice! I have no idea of the model, but I am intrigued by the 'extra' stradella buttons, and that does seem to be a lot of register buttons.
Nothing unusual. In Stradella bass, they will likely just fall in: those are for use as converter. Now this is a 120 bass instrument that will have no need of extra buttons for C system converter use (there are already plenty), but for quint system this does not make all that much sense either. So the converter use may not take all the buttons or it's some non-standard kind of converter.

Only time I saw a similar bass layout was on a 60’s-70’s Giulietti, it was a c-system converter layout. It had the registers of the right hand doubled up and one was in the reversed direction.

Only time I saw a similar bass layout was on a 60’s-70’s Giulietti, it was a c-system converter layout. It had the registers of the right hand doubled up and one was in the reversed direction.
It's a Petosa cathedral free bass converter with extended keyboard. LMMH(Hv) dry tuned with a fifth set that is quint tuned. 22 unique registers for the treble. Each switch is a rocket style toggle which switches the quint set on and off.

Super hard to find these. Priced as high as the converter Gola. I got lucky because of the support low demand for piano Accordions with free bass converter. Purchased it from the nephew of the original owner who has passed away several years ago.

It was on eBay with very little details. But it was close enough so I met the seller in person and tied it out. It's in great shape. Got it for $6300.

So what's the deal with the extra bass buttons?

Sounds like a beast, but I cannot see Petosa selling many of these at Gola prices... a base level Gola with no Free Bass today *starts* at $60,000 US, add in those modifications you are looking at over $100,000 for a Gola of those specs.

Interestingly Hohner did have a similar accordion (no Free Bass), the Imperator VS, it had 30 registers using the quint sound, I own the Imperator V with no quint but a more modest 22 unique registrations as well.

It was on eBay with very little details. But it was close enough so I met the seller in person and tied it out. It's in great shape. Got it for $6300.
A perfect storm!! How many times in life can you ever see that happening, right?
It looks amazing, looking forward to hearing it! :)

Edit: man, it looks amazing:D :D

Last edited:
Yes it is. I haven't weighed it yet. The box has a 22.5 cm depth and it's very bulky.
Slimmer than mine, but then I got 6 reedblocks for 4 voices while you likely have 5 for 5. And yours will make up in height more than what mine got in depth. Your bellows cross section likely will also be good for quite long phrases, particularly when using modest registrations.

Slimmer than mine, but then I got 6 reedblocks for 4 voices while you likely have 5 for 5. And yours will make up in height more than what mine got in depth. Your bellows cross section likely will also be good for quite long phrases, particularly when using modest registrations.
My Solloni converter has 6 voices in the bass and 4 voices in the treble. But this Petosa is deeper than that. I did open up the bass half to have a look at the reeds. I didn't count the blocks.
Paul mentioned that the converter system on this accordion uses a slide mechanism to switch to converter. So I'm not sure if it has six or five blocks on the left hand.

The new cathedral bayan has 5 voices in treble and seven voices in the bass side.

Yes. The Bellows are huge. When on Master, it's not running out of air.

But this Petosa is deeper than that. I did open up the bass half to have a look at the reeds. I didn't count the blocks.
4 would be standard fare for a "minor third" converter: one for the bass octave, and three for the three non-redundant free bass rows. The standard bass chord range is then mapped to somewhere in the free bass reeds.

4 would be standard fare for a "minor third" converter: one for the bass octave, and three for the three non-redundant free bass rows. The standard bass chord range is then mapped to somewhere in the free bass reeds.
Not sure what you mean here. I've mostly seen full size C system converters that have 6 sets of bass reeds in which 4 sets are for stradella.

Back