• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

A bit of Accordionist history

Caps

Reaction score
Last week my wife and I went down to Georgia to visit the FDR State Park and campground. There was a museum there at the "Little White House" and Hot springs that Roosevelt used as a vacation/theraphy spa. The museum was really nice and I saw some photos of a gentleman that was Roosevelt's favorite musician. One photo is of him playing at the president's funeral and the other two are of cards with a bit of a write-up about him. Looks like he played a really old Sonola.

Attachments

• IMG_20240414_102013232.jpg
    IMG_20240414_102013232.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240414_111349028 (1).jpg
    IMG_20240414_111349028 (1).jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240414_111359252.jpg
    IMG_20240414_111359252.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 19
There is actually a couple of you tube videos of him playing the piano and accordion on the Ed Sullivan show. He also produced two albums of his music, one was of Confederate Songs.

There is actually a couple of you tube videos of him playing the piano and accordion on the Ed Sullivan show. He also produced two albums of his music, one was of Confederate Songs.
I have a small file on him. His accordion was not a Sonola. I will try to upload a few photos that I found. One is of his accordion. Here are a few words that President Ronald Reagan said when Mr. Jackson passed:

"A week ago, Graham Washington Jackson, an ex-Navy musician, died in Atlanta at the age of seventy-nine. You probably don’t recognize his name, but his face became familiar to millions of Americans when President Roosevelt died in Warm Springs, Georgia, in 1945. There’s a very famous, very moving photo of Chief Petty Officer Jackson, tears streaming down his face while he played ‘Going Home’ on his accordion as FDR’s body was borne away by train to Washington."

The picture Reagan calls to mind reinforces the assertion offered in the televised nonverbal exchange between Reagan and Clara Hale: Reagan understands and is responsive to the concerns of blacks. The eulogy for Jackson also places Reagan above petty politics or partisanship. After all, Jackson is immortalized for sorrowing over the death of a revered Democratic president.

Attachments

• organola yellow 2.jpg
    organola yellow 2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Jackson%20LBCB020-002b.jpg
    Jackson%20LBCB020-002b.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 6
  • Jackson%20LBCB020-002a.jpg
    Jackson%20LBCB020-002a.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 6
  • graham_1970.jpg
    graham_1970.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Graham%20Jackson%20with%20FDR.jpg
    Graham%20Jackson%20with%20FDR.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 8
  • GJ%20w%20JC.jpg
    GJ%20w%20JC.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 9
  • pic_jacksoncoke.jpg
    pic_jacksoncoke.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 8
Thank you for putting the photos up. Fascinating man. I was in error about the Sonola apparently. I based my guess on the photo where i could only see the last half of the name. Also didn't realize it was a bright yellow. I did an internet search to see if I could locate any of his albums but came up with nothing, not even from the Library of Congress music files.

Thank you for putting the photos up. Fascinating man. I was in error about the Sonola apparently. I based my guess on the photo where i could only see the last half of the name. Also didn't realize it was a bright yellow. I did an internet search to see if I could locate any of his albums but came up with nothing, not even from the Library of Congress music files.
He seems to have been a fine man.

Thanks Caps! New to me too. Pretty bizarre to think of him making an album of “Confederate Songs,” but hey, gotta play what pays I suppose….

I'm a history buff and World War II has long been a niche I've visited. I've seen that photo in books since as probably as far back as high school American history books. I'm grateful to learn of the person behind the accordion.

Thanks Caps! New to me too. Pretty bizarre to think of him making an album of “Confederate Songs,” but hey, gotta play what pays I suppose….
Confederate culture was part and parcel of southern culture. Even during the civil war there was a lot of mutual respect. It’s only today that everyone thinks that they have to cave in to cancel culture.
One is not supposed to discuss religion or politics with friends. I consider all of you as friends, so make believe I didn’t say that.

I'll verify your assessment of southern culture, Zevy.

I also know that I'm not tough enough to play accordion like Graham Jackson while weeping.

well what he did was in the grand tradition of Pro musicians
throughout History.. we even fiddle while the damn ship sinks..
we are the distraction in those moments of stress that help
other Humans make it through

so yes, even you can play through your tears when it is necessary
because you will rise to the occasion

Back