• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Your favourite 2 chord piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirralaccordion

Reaction score
I recently got the sheet piano music for La Paloma which is quite a well known piece and sounds perfectly normal on a PA.
It only requires 2 bass chords from start to finish. I guess that keeping a good accurate rhythm is the thing to focus on in playing the melody.
I wonder what is your favourite 2 chord piece.

Horse with no name? I don't remember the somewhat wonky guitar chords, but on accordion it works with something like D+f (D bass and f major) and A+c. If you don't want to play the bass whenever there is a chord, you'll want to add d minor and a minor, respectively, to f major and c major.

wirralaccordion post_id=59969 time=1528568410 user_id=2229 said:
I recently got the sheet piano music for La Paloma which is quite a well known piece and sounds perfectly normal on a PA.
It only requires 2 bass chords from start to finish. I guess that keeping a good accurate rhythm is the thing to focus on in playing the melody.
I wonder what is your favourite 2 chord piece.

I never thought about this but just checked and indeed La Paloma only uses C major and G7 in the version I have.
I wouldnt know anything else in my repertoire that only uses two chords.

I never thought about this but just checked and indeed La Paloma only uses C major and G7 in the version I have.
I wouldnt know anything else in my repertoire that only uses two chords.

Thats interesting. My version uses G and D7. Does this piece have any lyrics to it? If so that would determine what key is the more suitable.

Hmmm, off the top of my head, Carnevale di Venezia, La Molisana, Ho Detto al Sole....probably a few others....

Phil,

For the very advanced bass players on the forum like myself, this Italian number is about the limit of my ability:-

When I worked as a plumber as part of a construction team, throwing up houses as fast as we could for the bonus money, we used to put screws in with a Glasgow screwdriver, otherwise known as a hammer. If we needed to take a screw out we borrowed a screwdriver from a joiner.

I taught myself to play the accordion and decided that bass buttons would get the screwdriver treatment until I could handle the treble side. I had once played the trumpet and never knew what chords were. Unfortunately that obviously had a detrimental effect on my bass playing, which has improved to the point where Im now looking for pieces with maybe one and a half chords.

Cant think of any two chord pieces at all, although I must surely play one or two. Ive played some guitar stuff with maybe 30 chords, but probably couldnt tell you the name of most of them. If I can remember the shapes and the progression then I can play them, but if my memory lets me down Im snookered.

I was once asked if I could read the scores, and I managed two whole divisions before I realised that wasnt what was being asked of me!

Great tune, thanks. Seems French with Italian flavor. If you can play like this I tip my hat to you. Above my level.

Tom post_id=60025 time=1528653366 user_id=69 said:
Great tune, thanks. Seems French with Italian flavor. If you can play like this I tip my hat to you. Above my level.

Tom,

Its Bolognese Filuzzi, originally played on organettos with no basses.

The player, Massimo Budriesi, is the grandson of Ruggero Passarini, one of the players who converted the style from organetto to CBA without basses. Only a handful of Italian players currently play these small accordions, and they are mostly CBA, although at least one guy, Andrea Scala plays the PA version:-

Budriesis tune translates as Autumn in Paris, as Im sure you are aware, but it was more of a hit in Bologna than it ever would have been in Paris.

I could probably get through the tune, although I dont think youd be tipping any hats. The post was made as a joke about my lack of bass playing ability.

The Italian musette style was probably never well known outside of Italy, although it was fairly widespread throughout the country. It was particularly popular in the area of Emilia Romagna, centred on Bologna, Parma, and Modena. Carlo Venturi (Bologna) and Gigi Stok (Parma), both CBA players, were perhaps its best known exponents, and the concert in the clip was a homage to Venturi.

Present day players of the style are still to be found, as I believe youll be aware. I seem to remember you listening to clips I posted of Tiziano Ghinazzi and possibly Davide Borghi.

I would seriously doubt whether Italian musette will be around for many more generations, which is a pity.

Hi Johnnie,

I remember well your earlier posts on the filuzzi. I had never seen that style and was very gratified to discover it.

Cool Stocco "senza bassi!"

I've never seen one of these "in the flesh" but I think I need one in my collection!

Tom post_id=60031 time=1528663946 user_id=69 said:
Hi Johnnie,

I remember well your earlier posts on the filuzzi. I had never seen that style and was very gratified to discover it.

Cool Stocco senza bassi!

Ive never seen one of these in the flesh but I think I need one in my collection!

Tom,

Doubt whether youd get a senza bassi from Stocco these days, and I dont think they would have made all that many, as Ruggero Passarinis first CBAs of that type were made by Fratelli Crosio.

Heres a link to Stoccos current catalogue, with not a senza bassi in sight:- http://www.fisarmonichestocco.it/ I may be wrong, but they may no longer be in business, as their websites last update appears to have been in 2011.

You could always try Massimo Budriesi for info on his website:- http://www.massimobudriesi.it/

If you do get in touch with him, tell him from me he needs a haircut!

maugein96 post_id=60032 time=1528664919 user_id=607 said:
Tom post_id=60031 time=1528663946 user_id=69 said:
Hi Johnnie,

Cool Stocco senza bassi!

Ive never seen one of these in the flesh but I think I need one in my collection!

Tom,

Doubt whether youd get a senza bassi from Stocco these days, and I dont think they would have made all that many, as Ruggero Passarinis first CBAs of that type were made by Fratelli Crosio.

Heres a link to Stoccos current catalogue, with not a senza bassi in sight:- http://www.fisarmonichestocco.it/ I may be wrong, but they may no longer be in business, as their websites last update appears to have been in 2011.

You could always try Massimo Budriesi for info on his website:- http://www.massimobudriesi.it/

If you do get in touch with him, tell him from me he needs a haircut!

Yeah, Im sure it would be a vintage one!

Just watching the Tour de France coverage on TV and I am sure the theme tune is only two chords. I think you can get it as a ring tone too for your mobile phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back