• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Beginner looking for your favourite accordionists?

I started accordion at age 32 (after 20 years in music, bassoon). Many people said you cant start that after this age. Play something easier like sax. I said I will be able to do that. I m stubborn. :geek:
I think a lot of things are more like "You'd better start young to be the best in the world." Well, most likely so, but you can still get pretty good at least at any age (research seems to confirm this), and odds are you weren't going to be the best in the world anyway, so have fun!

I think a lot of things are more like "You'd better start young to be the best in the world." Well, most likely so, but you can still get pretty good at least at any age (research seems to confirm this), and odds are you weren't going to be the best in the world anyway, so have fun!
People test you with these arguments for your real intentions. Nobody could prevent me what I want to do in a positive way :giggle:

People test you with these arguments for your real intentions. Nobody could prevent me what I want to do in a positive way :giggle:
It’s not how good your are, but how kind you are that matters to me. I’d rather hang with a novice making mistakes than an idiot bumblebee.

It’s not how good your are, but how kind you are that matters to me. I’d rather hang with a novice making mistakes than an idiot bumblebee.
To amaze people is actually very easy and doesnt need much knowledge. You practice too much a piece, the same piece for a long time, not any other thing. In 30 seconds. That is a "show", not art. But to satisfy yourself or others needs a lot of knowledge and work. There is no real artist with a single piece of artwork lifetime.

I think a lot of things are more like "You'd better start young to be the best in the world." Well, most likely so, but you can still get pretty good at least at any age

For me, life is just too short to master a single instrument - there's too many things I want to do. I stopped bass guitar / double bass lessons when I was good enough to play most pop/rock in a pub band. I didn't want to be a virtuoso, when I could move on and learn more instruments - such as accordion. I'm not sure it's really true anyway. I've been playing bass guitar on and off for about 40 years, and mandocello intensively for just over one year and my level on each isn't much different.

Life is evolved a lot with digital revolution. Things are changed. One thing is everyone is equally valuable now. I dont think a virtuoso can make big amounts of money after these times. It was worth it but not today.

Life is evolved a lot with digital revolution. Things are changed. One thing is everyone is equally valuable now. I dont think a virtuoso can make big amounts of money after these times. It was worth it but not today.
People can make a living as a musician here in the US but most performing musicians also work “regular jobs” or are hobbyists. Successful singers, however, make the biggggggg bucks. Beyoncé, Taylor…..

People can make a living as a musician here in the US but most performing musicians also work “regular jobs” or are hobbyists. Successful singers, however, make the biggggggg bucks. Beyoncé, Taylor…..
Thats one of the problems. Life evolved to visual and quick, easy grip things. People will listen symphonies time to time for sure but these times are over.

These two compilations is what I do actually. My view is ""Dont go hard on me but I play good"" :D
Thats more than enough for Turkey anyways. These are one piece not touched recordings. But I enhanced the sound only.

For me, life is just too short to master a single instrument - there's too many things I want to do. I stopped bass guitar / double bass lessons when I was good enough to play most pop/rock in a pub band. I didn't want to be a virtuoso, when I could move on and learn more instruments - such as accordion. I'm not sure it's really true anyway. I've been playing bass guitar on and off for about 40 years, and mandocello intensively for just over one year and my level on each isn't much different.
Me too! At 74 I don't plan on mastering anything new, especially the accordion which I understand it's best to start at age 8 or 10!
But I have been incredibly blessed with a wonderful time - I play a variety of instruments for fun, and although I've accidentally played on stage for a few weddings and with woodwind quintets and in duets with strings and trumpets and such, I'm not interested in being the best at anything. (I did just get a second accordion, though. :)

For me, life is too short and way too much fun to do the same thing over and over. I do have great respect for those who have the drive and dedication for virtuosity. (I have one nephew who somehow has the ability to excel at every musical endeavor that catches his interest, started earning money playing the piano at age 10 - now he's even composed symphonies performed by actual orchestras - how cool is that!)

I spent a lot of my life thinking I couldn't play music, was told I wasn't musical. It turns out not to be true. What I'm not is a guitarist, nor, more sadly for me, much of a singer. I'm making real progress with the accordion (melodeon), the bass guitar and because everyone in trad music does it, the whistle. The accordion and bass just seem possible? Progress is notable.Perhaps it's that way for everyone, but I really don't care much either way, as I'm really enjoying it, playing with other people and have found something else to obsessively research.

Last edited:
I don’t have the mental capacity for virtuosity, even for approachable music. I could not sustain daily 4 - 5 hour practice. After about an hour and a half my mind turns to mush and I have to go outside and smash wood with heavy metal. I go for personality, not virtuosity. Personality is missing from many beginner/intermediate accordionists I see on YouTube. I believe this is a downfall of current pedagogy? I don’t know. Personality is harder to teach than notes.

That said, I have performed publicly on drums, mandolin, accordion, guitar, bass, fiddle. Not necessarily well, but with a smile. Accordion is the only one I work on currently. My next “instrument” will be my voice. I regret the singing I have done in the past 😞 and feel improving will really make me happy in my events.

I don’t have the mental capacity for virtuosity, even for approachable music. I could not sustain daily 4 - 5 hour practice. After about an hour and a half my mind turns to mush and I have to go outside and smash wood with heavy metal. …

Ha. When I need a break from anything I like to go out and move dirt and rocks and dig up and push over trees with diesel-powered equipment! (while I sit in heated/air-conditioned cabs :))

At one time I could practice piano in 3 and 4-hour focused sessions but in more recent decades I lean more towards enjoyment than performance. It’s funny, though, how casual performance comes more naturally when I’m more relaxed and less goal-oriented. I think my evolving mellow improvisational hymn style contributes.

Ha. When I need a break from anything I like to go out and move dirt and rocks and dig up and push over trees with diesel-powered equipment! (while I sit in heated/air-conditioned cabs :))

At one time I could practice piano in 3 and 4-hour focused sessions but in more recent decades I lean more towards enjoyment than performance. It’s funny, though, how casual performance comes more naturally when I’m more relaxed and less goal-oriented. I think my evolving mellow improvisational hymn style contributes.
Yeah, I watch your actions with delight! I’m more of a hand tool guy myself but appreciate the machines. Fortunately I know people who have them. As you’ve discovered, it’s the “doing stuff” that makes life entertaining and fun.

Being relaxed at the performance is so important. When I play a set of tunes I know so well, it’s so much easier to “play” and smile. That’s why I’ve been so focused on repertoire, repertoire, repertoire all year.

Keep up the good work! Best of luck with your shoulders, don’t ever get old!🤣🤣🤣

I had times to work 6 - 7 hours a day. Went about 2-3 years. But I preferred fun more in that hours. You come to a phase you dont have fun without developing. Then I put exercises. I thought that was enough level for me and couldnt find that much time later. You need a reason to practice professionally but almost none of us have. Thats the joy of accordion I think. Music is about what you want to express with your instrument. You need a certain lower limit for sure but art is about what you can do anyways. I ve had trained strictly on bassoon education but I ve seen thats not the case later on accordion.

• Competition is for horses, not artists. - Bela Bartok

Back