• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Favourite Classical Accordion Composers?

I have to say, if I have the chance to listen to an accordionist playing F. Couperin or Ole Schmidt, I'll likely choose the former.
I'm with you there.
I'm getting a bit minimalised out at the moment having spent a lot of misspent youth with Arvo Part and Mr Glass! I won't be rushing to get to grips with Mr Lohse......

The first two that pop into my mind are Pietro Frosini and Nikolai Chaikin.

A lot of Frosini is "easy listening" rather than "deep", but you can tell that he really understood how to play his instrument, and he composed carefully to get maximum effect with minimum effort. I don't think anyone before or since has equalled him for that. (You see something similar in orchestral music, where people who really understand a given instrument write for it differently -- more efficiently.
Agree: I think those two are honest music but a long way off genius and some of the better pieces seem to rely on a blazing technique above all else.

As long as your ear can stand a bit more dissonance, Semenov is excellent. Among the young living composers, I have a high opinion of Gorka Hermosa, not just for his composing but his writing on history and musicology too
This is interesting too. For my ears Semyonov is a modern day Frosini.

The one that is newish to me (although probably not to anyone else) is Zolotaryov, and to my ears it's in a completely different league to all of these. The guy was a genius - original, tuneful, witty, economical and had a lot to say. I'd put him at the very very top of all composer's that wrote for the accordion ever. The so called children's suites are amazing music, up there with Mussorgsky or Tchaikovsky.

For economy (and ease of playing) listen to the beautiful second movement 'one inch girl'. This is genius, so few notes but so much said.

The one that is newish to me (although probably not to anyone else) is Zolotaryov, and to my ears it's in a completely different league to all of these. The guy was a genius - original, tuneful, witty, economical and had a lot to say. I'd put him at the very very top of all composer's that wrote for the accordion ever. The so called children's suites are amazing music, up there with Mussorgsky or Tchaikovsky.

I very much enjoy a lot of Zolotarev too. Indisputably a genius as both composer and performer. I almost named him in my reply to your thread. If your focus is only on music for solo freebass accordion, I've no objection at all to putting him at the very top of your list. He wrote things that noone before him came close to and few people after have successfully matched.

I would dispute "economical." I see him more as testing the limits of what was achievable on his instrument. The first movement of your linked suite is a prime example: it's a pleasant tuneful piece - which requires you to dance vigorously with your thumb and pointer finger while you hold your other three fingers down, and requires you to own a 5-octave LMMH CBA with freebass. Yes, it's written very well for that instrument; you only have to span a eleventh with your right hand, and the alternative arrangement of putting the held notes in one hand and the melody in the other would require you to span a thirteenth and have a very agile pinky. (If we looked outside the Children's Suites we'd find him pushing a lot more extremes.)

The Children's Suites are as good accordion music as anybody else's piano miniatures ever were. On the other hand, I don't think his two sinfonia concertantes are anything all that special, and I think a lot of his work is out of reach both of the audience's ears and most performer's fingers.

If you asked a roomful of violinists who the greatest of all time was for their instrument, there's a good chance they'd settle on Eugene Ysaye, after dismissing Pablo Sarasate as the lightweight Frosini-equivalent and Paganini as just a technical showoff not a great composer. But I bet the number of non-violinists who listen to Ysaye's solo repertoire is probably about the same as the number of non-accordionists who listen to Zolotarev. (And I have no idea how good Ysaye's violin concertos or his symphonic poems or his opera are - nobody ever plays or records them!)
Sarasate's works for larger ensembles are tuneful and competent just not electrifying. He's well ahead of Paganini's violin concertos or Chopin's piano concertos, which do not do the orchestra (or the audience) any favors.

I am still waiting for the world's best writer of accordion concertos, or best writer of wind-and-accordion or string-and-accordion chamber music, to appear on the scene.

I do have a bit of a bias, in that I have a big interest in how best to blend accordion with other instruments. It's the small-ensemble stuff of Hermosa's that I like best. I was really impressed with a live concert I saw with Galliano and a string orchestra, smoothly and almost indetectably passing lines back and forth from violin to accordion and back again. I know it is possible to write really well for these ensembles... and I hope someone will.

Ah yes... Martin Lohse. I first heard his work on a recording of Hanzhi Wang called On The Path to H. C. Andersen - an enchanting CD of original accordion music by Danish composers inspired by fairy tales. From the little I have heard, some of his work has a minimalist edge and almost reminds me a little of Philip Glass and Steve Reich.
Exactly, just like S. Reich! Do you know of any other minimalism composers for accordion?
This is really interesting! I'd never heard of Martin Lohse but I like it - thank you! Have you played any of his pieces? Which Semyonov have you learnt?
Yeah, Passing by M. Lohse is absolutely magical, yet quite difficult, gave up on it.
I played Semyonov's 1st Sonata, full. Great score, brimming with energy. If I had to pick a next one, would either be a Bulgarian suite or the 3rd Sonata "Memories of the Future"

very much enjoy a lot of Zolotarev too. Indisputably a genius as both composer and performer. I almost named him in my reply to your thread. If your focus is only on music for solo freebass accordion, I've no objection at all to putting him at the very top of your list. He wrote things that noone before him came close to and few people after have successfully matched.

I would dispute "economical." I see him more as testing the limits of what was achievable on his instrument. The first movement of your linked suite is a prime example: it's a pleasant tuneful piece - which requires you to dance vigorously with your thumb and pointer finger while you hold your other three fingers down, and requires you to own a 5-octave LMMH CBA with freebass. Yes, it's written very well for that instrument; you only have to span a eleventh with your right hand, and the alternative arrangement of putting the held notes in one hand and the melody in the other would require you to span a thirteenth and have a very agile pinky. (If we looked outside the Children's Suites we'd find him pushing a lot more extremes.)

The Children's Suites are as good accordion music as anybody else's piano miniatures ever were. On the other hand, I don't think his two sinfonia concertantes are anything all that special, and I think a lot of his work is out of reach both of the audience's ears and most performer's fingers.
Have you actually tried playing it recently? The magical thing about the children's suites (much to my surprise) I'm finding is many of the miniatures fit under your fingers on a button accordion for a lovely economy of learning and technique. I wouldn't personally divide his accordion music by sorting the children's suites in one pile and anything else in the other - although its human nature to sort and categorise the world! The tunes and techniques seem pretty common to both and the children's suites explore just as much as the longer pieces (sometimes more so), that's why I asked if you'd tried actually playing any. I guess I'd do my own sorting just for those few pieces apparently written just before his death, and those few do sound different, bonkers and from a very dark place.
The great thing about this forum is to find someone that actually knows what you are talking about, however zany, so its great to hear your comments on Zolotaryov. If I get a summer holiday this year I am going to try learning the Chamber Suite. To my ears this is his most lovely long piece and some of the movements are stradella bass only, again much to my surprise!

Exactly, just like S. Reich! Do you know of any other minimalism composers for accordion?
I've had a go at Arvo Part, Yann Tiersen (freebass stuff not the usual suspects), Hans Richter and Philip Glass but none is what you would call original accordion music. I find the stuff that works the best is Philip Glass (quartets, etudes); just learning the closing from Mishima which should sound nice in a decent acoustic.

Yeah, Passing by M. Lohse is absolutely magical, yet quite difficult, gave up on it.
I downloaded the score and reached the same conclusion because the difficulty was greater than the music to my brain!

Guy Klucsevsek
I will explore!

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned John Gart. He was a great conductor and player, both on the organ (both Hammond and Conn, which I was told are different animals), and on the accordion. I believe he was the organist for some very popular TV shows back in the day. I played a number of his compositions. His two most popular accordion pieces are “Vivo” and “Scherzo”.John Gart.jpegJGConducting.png

But, but, but, - J. S. Bach never wrote anything for the accordion ;);)
That was just a shortcoming because the accordion did not yet exist... My arrangements hopefully show how wonderful Bach would have sounded if he could have composed for our beloved instrument.

OK, composers specifically for accordion... there are many that I like: for light music Heinz Gerlach (Tanzende Finger) and Albert Vossen (Flick flack), for more jazzy stuff Viktor Novikov (The Old Lithuanian Gramophone Record) and Borys Myronchuk (Concert Samba), and for really modern music nobody beats Zolotaryov (Rondo Cappriccioso).
Just three pieces I played myself (at least in part):

That was just a shortcoming because the accordion did not yet exist... My arrangements hopefully show how wonderful Bach would have sounded if he could have composed for our beloved instrument.
I concur unreservedly - it was listening to a recording by Hrstevich playing Bach on his bayan which made me decide to take much more interest in this extremely versatile genre of instruments.
I had no idea at the time just how incredibly broad the field of free reed instruments and the range of musical styles and traditions which they accommodate.
And I really enjoy your arrangements and recordings as well, for which I thank you :)

nobody beats Zolotaryov (Rondo Cappriccioso).

Boris Borgstrom
Daniel Charles Foley

Wow we are back on topic! :)

I think Zolotaryov is getting the big thumbs up all round. For my own part I find his music head and shoulders over other original accordion music. I've learnt Suite 4 (no one seems to play it but to my ears its amongst the best!) and the Frescoes in monastery of Ferapont.

I found a lot of his music here https://goldaccordion.com/notes/z/

Some biog info here https://accordeonworld.weebly.com/zolotaryov.html

Someone not mentioned so far is Alain Abbott, isn't he a well known composer writing for our instrument?

And then there is a question: where is the borderline between a composition and an arrangement?
I combined Bach's Cello Suite (mov. 1) with Gounod's Ave Maria, added some percussion as well... and then something refreshing came out:
Ave Cello
And you may ask: Was Gounod's Ave Maria not already often played together with a Prelude by Bach? And the answer is: Yes, but Ave Cello uses a completely different work by Bach.

I think Zolotaryov is getting the big thumbs up all round.

I've spent some time listening to a little of Zolotaryov's work, mainly the lighter, care-free miniatures. I find these really enchanting. They even have a faint ring of the Romantic era to me. I've refrained from making an attempt to play the music as they are bayan pieces, and some music is best left to the instrument it was written for.

However, I've been trying an accordion arrangement (free bass) of Passepied by Delibes, incidental music written for Le Roi s'amuse (The King Has Fun) a play by Victor Hugo. I don't think the piece was written for any particular instrument, though I have seen some performances on piano. It actually looks easier on the accordion, much less darting around on the left hand. Again, this piece has much of the light and playful charm that I hear in some of Zolotaryov's work.

took a few days but I finally got the organ/choral CD today, new, unopened. I ordered it fr
That's very kind of you to get this. I hope you like it. We got a good review in Gramophone when it was released. I'm proud of it because it's children's voices and usually it's only adults that attempt Arvo Part! I think they have a magic you can never get otherwise with older voices.

Re Classics.. Performed Deiro's Concertos in A and E plus many others.. Have Carmen Carrozza's rendition of 1 of them on '78 ' platters....
Excelsior artist Andy Arcari (1940's on) wrote Accordion Concerto in D minor. He performed the first movement at a concert in Hamilton Ontario. Also had the privilege of performing with him on the same program. Have original copies...
Also check Leon Sachs and Art Van Damme for jazz .... Oakley Yale may also have written several. Magnante did compose several 'novelties' such as Accordiana and Tantalizing plus other lesser-known items.. Yes.. old timers but unsure whether they qualify as being "Classic" according to some...
I believe they certainly were!

Yes its not a very explored area, but there is not much to explore since accordion is made to play your favorite tune from somewhere else. Also music evolution is not in a good shape with the digital revolution. In these days, they stay experimental with not much interest.

Back