• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Wooden Piano Accordions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirralaccordion

Reaction score
On a like for like basis are wooden accordions lighter or heavier in weight?
What, if any, are their advantages?

As far as I'm aware all accordions are wooden accordions.... Just seems to be quite fashionable these days to miss the cellulose coat...
Ive heard rumours that this could be more to do with health and safety working regs that aesthetics or sound response
Some older players i know say disaster waiting to happen sime time in future as cellulose protects wood very well....and to their ears sounds preferable...
Don't know wether i should have written any of that as i can't verify... Being rumours... So hope it jogs conversation along and someone has stronger answers...

Non-wooden includes Hohner "Atlantic" construction - Hohner Atlantic, Lucia, and Pirola from around 1953.
It's also called 'metallbauweise' = 'metal construction'.

My 1959 Lucia (37/96 LMMH) is 8.4kg + straps, which is lighter than wooden equivalent model I think.atlantic.1.jpg

I have some experience of a variety of accoustic accordions, newer and older, and my impressions are that pre WW2 accordions were largely made of wood but postwar, as time went on, an increasingly greater proportion of metal (aluminium chiefly, but also pressed steel) entered into the construction: the framework, treble board/key bed, treble keys, pallets, bass board, grill, sounding board, all exterior bits being covered with celluloid. Scandalli, Settimio Soprani being early examples.
To my ear, accoustic accordions with a lot of metal in them have distinctly metallic/ tinny overtones as all the metal bits resonate, even the multitude of treble key springs/bass mechanism reverberate, even squeak . This can be quite noticeable, especially in the cheaper models.
A particularly annoying problem where external body work made of pressed metal is concerned, especially treble grills and their surrounds (the Armando Bugari Champion being one such example of many), is that, in cold weather, the accordionist's breath tends to condense and moisture collects on this portion of the instrument (similar to the moisture that collects in brass and bagpipes). This does not happen with older instruments where the relevant structure is actually celluloid covered wood.

Last edited:
I've had 4 wood finished accordions in the shop for pickup installation. 1 Serenelli, 1 Bulgari Armando & 2 Siwa & Figli accordions
The accordions were purchased in Europe without pickups. In all the cases the accordions were absolutely gorgeous and performed
flawlessly. Also in all cases they came with the same remarks ( The volume is much less than the cellulose covered models that they have
had or now have ) I played and compared them to similar size accordions I own and yes they sounded flawless but somewhat muted.
With amplification the sound volume made a dramatic change in volume. I now recommend to every buyer of a wooden finish accordion
to consider pickups installed when purchased.

Non-wooden includes Hohner "Atlantic" construction - Hohner Atlantic, Lucia, and Pirola from around 1953.
It's also called 'metallbauweise' = 'metal construction'.

The Imperator is also a member of the 'metallbauweise' family!

imperator.JPG

In terms of advantages here, there is what I feel is a valid *minor* weight savings, and I find the accordion quite loud. With the sordino opened, the tone is punchier on the higher pitched registers compared to my other accordions.

The Imperator is also a member of the 'metallbauweise' family!

In terms of advantages here, there is what I feel is a valid *minor* weight savings, and I find the accordion quite loud. With the sordino opened, the tone is punchier on the higher pitched registers compared to my other accordions.
That strength with the higher pitched registers is the reason why people I know with an old Atlantic kept the sordino closed all the time. And it's also the reason why I don't like the Atlantic N series: it no longer has a sordino.

There's wood, and then, there's wood. I've heard that hardwood lasts longest without warping, but I also know that its more dense (read: "heavy for the same size chunk') than soft wood. So, in an accordion, a variety of woods might very well be suited to particular structures and functions. I've even heard that plywood was (is?) used in some accordions. Metals, as you've just read, are also used in a variety of applications. Plastics are extensively used in digital accordions from one manufacturer, but not from others. A few years ago, one manufacturer started experimenting with carbon fiber for grilles, and now one person is constructing entire bodies with it. As far as finishes are concerned, celluloid is beginning to be phased out for reasons already mentioned, painted finishes have gained some traction, and natural (clear) finishes -- well -- that takes us back to wood :).

Last edited:
... and then technology comes in and gives is... THIS:
Carboneon.jpg
How about your very own CARBON FIBER accordion! A full sized instrument that weights a mere 8.6kg for a 4/5 reed configuration and available in any color you can dream up... all for a mere CHF 13'500 or $14,863.50 USD! :) :)

Given that most accordions are wooden but covered with celluloid or another opaque finish one thing about wood-finish accordions is that the timber used needs to be of higher quality. Usually reflected in a higher price when new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back