• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Who doesn't like Chopin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brilliant stuff Glenn. Never heard an accordionist using foot pedals and all that gear before, but it works! Only "Chopin" I've ever done was with a rather blunt axe, but this girl (never heard her before) certainly knows how to move it up a notch or two.

I believe she has done some stuff with Galliano, but I'm not sure about that. She's got "that" kind of sound.

I had a lot of correspondence with "Greek" Australians during my bouzouki phase, and they really take their music seriously.

Thanks for the post Glenn.

Yep - she's a class act... and I'm not just saying that 'cos she's a member on here... some great stuff on youtube.

PS Just off up the town with my Chopin Liszt... :)

Brilliant indeed, but I would much rather hear just the person and the box without a shed full of electronic 'enhancements' that cast a doubt on who or what is doing what or which!!

George ( the luddite!)

I must concur with you George. Laptop, expensive looking electronic box, right foot controls, 2 x left foot controls all leave the left hand free (until near the end). Fraid I need JerryPH or someone else to tell me what's happening.
She is good but does she really need all this?
Garth

Guys. We want the accordion to make a comeback and become more mainstream. I think experimenting with new ideas and making such approachable music is exactly what's needed. If you want evidence that she can play "unplugged " then look no further than her YouTube stream.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, its not quite my cup of tea, but its damn fine indeed!

Glenn, I sincerly think that we are all on the same page about agreeing that anything anyone does on an accordion that perks up another person's ears is good, and I cannot express how happy it makes me inside to see all these new names that are totally unknown to me, not just people over 50 either, we're getting a serious influx of young blood in this world, and it's all terribly exciting!

That said, it's still ok to have an opinion, good or bad... it's the indifferent ones we want to avoid. Discussion and sharing of opinions is all good, because if someone tells me "I hate that!", I can ask them to show me how they play or what they like.

In this video, I can easily see the lines where technology and accordion meet, something that is made harder for us digital accordion players, who have a foot in both camps... but not... lol

Musicially, it's undeniably good. Technologically it might be intimidating to some. Oddly enough its not the quality of her accordion that is making me hesitant, but the plainess of her backing sounds, yet I am 100% certain that this was exactly the feel she wanted and accomplished perfectly.

So much complexity for something so simple to setup or pre-record without needing all those foot pedals and switching around. Here is the funny part, I am pretty sure that she would tell me that haing all those pedals at her disposal is liberating, and yet many of us find it confusing. It's ok to say that, what is important is that the musician using them isn't confused. ;)

Great quality of sound, nicely well thought-out camera position. In short, it's not the way I ever want to play Chopin, but I find it inspiring. :)

This morning I found myself back at this topic and took Glenn's suggestion. I visited her youtube page and was pleasantly surprised at how much she has there. Her music seems to revolve a bit around latin rhumbas and Irish styles, two very separate worlds, though other works are also diverse. All her music seems very easy to listen to and she has a very smooth and consistent style throughout.

If you haven't, take a few minutes and click on a random video or 2 from her list of videos, it was a pleasing experience to listen to her and you learn things like that she composes her own works as well. A very interesting person that plays other instruments as well as an accomplished and talented accordionist!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back