• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Chopin Waltz

micahcowan

Reaction score

It's still not quite where I want it, but I remember I found it much easier to express what I wished on the Petosa AM-4100, so when I'm looking forward to comparing a re-recording when bring that home in a few weeks.

I should maybe also invest in a better microphone than my phone's built-in one, too 😏

It's still not quite where I want it, but I remember I found it much easier to express what I wished on the Petosa AM-4100, so when I'm looking forward to comparing a re-recording when bring that home in a few weeks.
Ah, so you talked yourself into it. There is something to be said for love at first sight.
I should maybe also invest in a better microphone than my phone's built-in one, too 😏
Tiny membrane, tiny sound hole. In terms of tonal accuracy, probably not even easy to beat, except regarding background hiss.

Oh, and it would already be strenuous to dance to this tempo…

Ah, so you talked yourself into it. There is something to be said for love at first sight.

Are you kidding? The only way I let myself bring home this one instead (along with the Roland FR-1xb) was by promising myself I'd be back in March to bring home the one I really loved! ❤️

Reactions: dak
Are you kidding? The only way I let myself bring home this one instead (along with the Roland FR-1xb) was by promising myself I'd be back in March to bring home the one I really loved! ❤️
I tend to get ribbed by friends sometimes for something like "this is actually quite edible" being near the top of the compliment scale one can expect from me. Too much of critic and pessimist to experience love at first sight. My own big one started out as a cheap stopgap measure that should have been good enough to tide me over the absence of my dedicated CBA, so that I could already start practising. I cannot play worth a damn but still get people to marvel at what comes out of my box. A Gola would make me look bad because people know what to expect from one. So unlike Jerry, I kind of accidentally tripped over the end of a lifelong journey.

The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley.

I tend to get ribbed by friends sometimes for something like "this is actually quite edible" being near the top of the compliment scale one can expect from me. Too much of critic and pessimist to experience love at first sight. My own big one started out as a cheap stopgap measure that should have been good enough to tide me over the absence of my dedicated CBA, so that I could already start practising. I cannot play worth a damn but still get people to marvel at what comes out of my box. A Gola would make me look bad because people know what to expect from one. So unlike Jerry, I kind of accidentally tripped over the end of a lifelong journey.

The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley.
I wasted too much money by trying to be cheap (ironically). I'll try out an accordion only to realize that I after playing it for a month that I don't really like it. And in the case that I actually liked it, the seller had been dishonest with me to hide a major issue.

I once got a used beltuna spirit v for almost a third of the original price. I get back home and I see a long crack from the foot to the pin hole. I turn the accordion around and there were two more cracks like that. I felt like an idiot. How could I not have inspected it.

In another repair shop, the guy did a number on me by selling me a klebemorino (look it up). After discovering the problem, he told me that I was the one who made it sticky.

So many bad experiences like that. I easily get impressed by accordions only to realize that the excitement wears off very soon. Love at first sight hasn't worked out well so far.

On the contrary, I ordered a new Petosa online without having played it at all. That has been my favorite accordion for four years now. I'm waiting on a new converter. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Last edited:

Did you have an accordion arrangement for that? Or are you playing from a piano score by adding the chords for left hand?

I can't actually claim to have quite fallen in love with it, and it's not my ideal instrument. But my phrasing sounds way better on it (so I guess, what I'm attempting is much more effective on it?) than my previous instruments, and I do feel "the joy" sufficiently when I play it, to very much want it. My ideal instrument would have a good 50 keys in the right hand, and a converter with a free bass whose tones are buttery smooth. None of the notes would sound harsh and would all require the same amount of bellows pressure to activate, so I suspect my truly ideal instrument is strictly fictional (as an acoustic, anyway), but I suspect that something pretty damn close must exist, provided I'm willing to pay the price of a new car for it. 😄

I felt "the joy" when I was playing my Paolo Soprani LMMMH 120-bass, too. But I traded that in (along with the Pigini Studio B2) for the current instruments, because it wouldn't really let me "do phrasing" much. There was a very narrow window where the reeds would reliably sound, so I wasn't able to do this waltz even this much justice (which I don't consider to be quite enough). Here's a comparison video if you're curious (I've also become more comfortable with the piece since then, of course).

But I loved the sound it made. I just couldn't sculpt it as I wanted. The new one is a LMMM, and it'll do me just fine, but I will miss the H. The ability to phrase things as I want to is paramount, though.

I look forward someday to finding the instrument I truly do fall in love with... but in the meantime, I'll have a great grab-and-go jam machine (Americana Nemo II) that also has a converter (so I don't get too far from the feel of a real free bass), a machine I can practice on late at night, play some richer accordion sounds I don't have access to, and play a buttery-smooth free bass (Roland FR-8xb, which I expect to purchase soon), and a non-compact, solid 96-bass that I suspect will be my primary instrument at home for standard Stradella stuff (the incoming Petosa).

I'm uncertain what I'll do with the FR-1xb I already have. I'll be a lot less motivated to play it if I have the FR-8xb, and it's tempting to use it in trade toward the new Petosa. But I think I'll hold off - I've been using it as a midi input when scoring arrangements, and it's plenty good for that (the 8xb might be too bulky for that use case). It's also a solid loaner instrument if I should get to the point where I want to teach lessons. I'm sure not going to loan my $5,500 compact converter! And like the Nemo II it's a great grab-and-go (even better, since it's super-light). But it's not great for jamming, since it has a small voice unless I plug it into an amp.

Did you have an accordion arrangement for that? Or are you playing from a piano score by adding the chords for left hand?

I have it here. It's a WIP. There are redundant, but harmless repeated chord markings in the bass. But honestly the RH on a PA will play much better in the original key of D♭M (if you have a bass that can support it); C is a more convenient bass (especially on my 72-bass Nemo II and Roland), and unlike on a PA, makes little difference what key you're playing on the RH of a CBA, so... C. The score could probably do with finger markings, additional articulations, and either the C and D sections from the original Chopin work, or at least a written ending, heh.

I plan on working up the C and D sections, but TBH they've never been nearly as interesting to me in that work, and also I'm finding it a tad less straightforward to arrange. It's unclear to me at this time whether I want to play it exactly as-written for piano, or if I want to play with which hand gets which notes. I've played some of them but I'm not yet thrilled with the result, so want more time with them before I commit something to paper.

Tiny membrane, tiny sound hole. In terms of tonal accuracy, probably not even easy to beat, except regarding background hiss.

Knowhut? It wasn't the microphone at all I had a problem with, it's the crap speaker on my phone. Just listened now on my laptop, and was surprised how huge the diff was! 😅

Nice and looking forward to hearing the Petosa! My FR-1xb and FR-4xb are also woefully neglected these days. Time to sell them and to preorder a Bertrand Gaillard to reward my future self in 2-3 years?

Nice and looking forward to hearing the Petosa! My FR-1xb and FR-4xb are also woefully neglected these days. Time to sell them and to preorder a Bertrand Gaillard to reward my future self in 2-3 years?

You know, if you're thinking of selling, I would probably consider buying your 4xb instead of getting the 8xb, given they're fairly similar instruments. I haven't had much luck finding 8xb nearby (the PA ones are easier to find), and was planning on ordering from Japan via ebay, which is def a bit riskier than buying direct from someone local. I'll have money for it about mid-March, not before then (company bonus pays out then).

I have been seeing a Bugari Evo nearby(ish) on Facebook Marketplace, but they want $7.2k for it (used).

Knowhut? It wasn't the microphone at all I had a problem with, it's the crap speaker on my phone. Just listened now on my laptop, and was surprised how huge the diff was! 😅

Now, feed the laptop output through a decent pair of studio monitors or even a top-end pair of headphones to appreciate just how good those tiny mics actually are ;)

You know, if you're thinking of selling, I would probably consider buying your 4xb instead of getting the 8xb, given they're fairly similar instruments. I haven't had much luck finding 8xb nearby (the PA ones are easier to find), and was planning on ordering from Japan via ebay, which is def a bit riskier than buying direct from someone local. I'll have money for it about mid-March, not before then (company bonus pays out then).

I have been seeing a Bugari Evo nearby(ish) on Facebook Marketplace, but they want $7.2k for it (used).
I have both a FR4 and an FR8. I like the greatly enhanced capability of the FR8. (100 UPG instead of 7, decent editor on the box, battery charging in the box, palm bar, chin switches) Enough to not make it failrly similar to the FR4.

I have both a FR4 and an FR8. I like the greatly enhanced capability of the FR8. (100 UPG instead of 7, decent editor on the box, battery charging in the box, palm bar, chin switches) Enough to not make it failrly similar to the FR4.

Yeah, and you're not wrong. After I said this, I did a (re)comparison of the two instruments, and there are some pretty dang important differences... but ultimately I don't really see myself taking much advantage of most of them. I'll mainly miss the chin switches, and the ability to record audio direct to USB. I might miss the palm bar for after-touch on some keyboard effects, but as I have no experience with it, I dunno. Might also miss the more advanced bellows behavior - I suspect the Evo's may not be quite as good (hardware)? If that's not the case I don't think I'll miss it.

So I'd still buy a local, used, good-condition FR-4xb if it came available, over a new 8xb - the price difference and lack of shipping risk outweighs the loss in features.

Well, it's pretty darn good for something you don't feel it's ready! :D

A couple points, when the phone is that close, it can capture the sound cleanly enough and though the fidelity is not great, for this case, it's fine. What I would focus more on is raising the height of the camera. There is a concept called leading lines and your legs kind of "lead" watchers into the old famous crotch shot, making that the focus of the video (lol!!).

Make your accordion the focus and don't be shy about leaving your head/face in there.

Many people "hide" their heads to hide their facial expressions or to try to hide the fact that they are reading music. Not a fan of this very much. Headless musicians are ok for a few seconds, after that, it gets visually boring real fast.

Back