• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

What kind of DBA do I have?

Gottschee

Reaction score
Hi,

New here...looking forward to great conversations. I inherited a DBA from my father. He played all his life in Gottschee (now Kočevsko Slovenia). It has a flat treble keyboard, 3-rows (plus a single 4th row key coming out of the grill) and no gleichton. The bass side does not have adjacent bass/cord buttons but has 2 keys in-between the the bass and chord...so it's a 1-4 2-5 3-6 pattern. Do I have a "Slovenian System" that Wikipedia describes:

"Originally, there were two systems for the diatonic Steirische, the Slovenian System, which had no Gleichton and a flat keyboard, and the German or Austrian System with Gleichton and a stepped keyboard. The Slovenian System is no longer much used; even the Slovenian players today play the German or Austrian System."

Thanks in advance for any information.

Thanks for the quick reply. Attached are some photos. The accordion is in BbEbAb. I have another one in CFBb and the key layout for that is also attached.

Attachments

• Novak 4 Smaller.jpg
    Novak 4 Smaller.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 10
  • Novak 5 Smaller.jpg
    Novak 5 Smaller.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Novak 6 Smaller.jpg
    Novak 6 Smaller.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Novak 7 Smaller.jpg
    Novak 7 Smaller.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 10
  • ButtonBoxKropfCFB.pdf
    186.8 KB · Views: 7
The key layout in the attached PDF file is one I put together so the keys are correct but the title on the bottom may be wrong.

I believe the layout is the same (standard single-row diatonics with side accidentals & each row spaced out by a quint/quart), you just have the option of gleischtone, no gleischtone or Dutch reversal.
It's very easy to swap one for another with a sharp file and a tuner.

Stepped vs flat are a box-specific feature I'd think. German Clubs are mostly flat, contrary to what has been suggested above.
Flat vs stepped makes close to zero difference on a diatonic, imho.

FWIW, These boxes are called "Steirische harmonikas" and afaik "Steirische" means "Slovenian. But they come with gleischtones these days.

That looks like a cracking box and I hope you're learning to squeeze it already.

Last edited:
Thanks tcabot for the detailed reply. From my understanding, a single row of my keyboard is standard but the adjacent row is shifted down one button compared to standard arrangement. As an example, on a standard CFBb keyboard, moving from 1st row C to 2nd row F is on the same diagonal row, same for 2nd row F to 3rd row Bb. On my keyboard, moving from 1st row C to 2nd row F is down a button and on the next diagonal row, same for 2nd row F to 3rd row Bb. That makes multi-row chord fingering completely different.

On the bass side, has anyone come across the non-adjacent bass/chord arrangement that I have? My Bb bass is 1, Bb chord is 4; F is 2-5, C is 3-6.

Attachments

• ButtonBoxKropfCFB.pdf
    186.8 KB · Views: 2
That is very interesting - I missed the shifted row. If that bothers you, it should be easy enough to shift the reedplates by 1 and arrive at the "standard modern" layout.

In regard to basses: I think that Belgian Lepelbassers have this sort of arrangement, but the bass mechs are completely different. Similar finger movement though.

Back