• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

What kind of accordion does Josh Barcos play?

Tom N

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for a smaller, lightweight accordion. I find the sound Josh Barcos from the Tex-Mex band Los Texmaniacs pleasing to my ears. What would be the closest equivalent in a piano accordion?
Is the sound of the right hand what is called light musette?

Lots of questions! I am new here. This is my first post on the site.

Thank you.

Josh Baca. Nephew of band leader and bajo sexto ace Max Baca. I too love old-school conjunto, Santiago Jimenez style. Haven't ventured, but love it. I see Josh B. playing a few different boxes including Roland digitals.

But this here sounds like a traditional classic 2-voice Hohner Corona--yeah, I'd guess lighter musette.

A little 2-voice 26-key PA with 48 or 60 bass could give you lots of conjunto fun. You could go to a 30 or 34 key 72 bass LMM for more sounds if you wanted, but if you want light an MM 26-key can do plenty of conjunto. There's also the little MM Weltmeister Rubin with 30 slim keys in a chassis the size of a 26.

Here are a few examples--a vintage Hohner Student, a new Weltmeister, a new Dino Baffetti.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=gdaVKjRk0l4&pp=ygUWSG9obmVyIHN0dWRlbnQgbm9ydGVubw

m.youtube.com/watch?v=CPxtl18YjkI&pp=ygUaV2VsdG1laXN0ZXIgcnViaW4gY29uanVudG8

Thanks Ouija! That’s what I’ve been thinking too. ive not heard of Baffetti. This forum has taught me to steer clear of Hohner. the closest store with a good selection of instruments is 4 hours away from me. I’ve seen used Weltmeisters which could be shipped, but again, after a lot of reading on this forum, it seems prudent to try the instrument in person. I’m 70, and that would mean an overnight trip. The other option would be to have it shipped but that would seem risky with all the things that could go wrong with an instrument, especially if I start with a used model.

LOL. I just watched that YouTube example of the used Weltmeister. That’s Alex Meixner doing the demo! I’ve considered having Libertybellows ship one of those.

Last edited:
The Weltmeister tuning straight from the factory may (or may not) be a few cents wetter than your taste. If so, having it thinned 3 to 5 cents should get you there.
There's also the Weltmeister Perle model MM 26/48 with full-size keys if the Rubin's slimmer 30 keys didn't suit. I like having 3O/60 but not everybody gets on with the slimmer keys.

So, I've identified a box that looks good to me. It's a Mahogany Serenellini Jet Piano Accordion LMM 30 78. Light weight, and "demi-swing tuning" which from what I can tell/hear mild which is similar to Josh's sound. Light weight - only 16 pounds. Also to my ears, a much warmer and versatile accordion.

So, I've identified a box that looks good to me. It's a Mahogany Serenellini Jet Piano Accordion LMM 30 78. Light weight, and "demi-swing tuning" which from what I can tell/hear mild which is similar to Josh's sound. Light weight - only 16 pounds. Also to my ears, a much warmer and versatile accordion.

Awesome! Yes, that's what I meant about a 3-voice LMM 30 or 34-key giving you more if you don't mind going a bit bigger/heavier. The 30 is such a nice size. I do see Josh Baca and some of the other Norteno/conjunto wizes playing 5-register 3-voice LMMs in both diato and PA configs.

Thanks 96! Yeah, I've seen some of the Tex-Mex players with that brand.

Well, not a lot more expensive than the Serenellini. This investment will probably be the last accordion I buy. I'm looking to cover both bases now. Something that will work with Slovenian style polkas AND get that light happy musette sound. The little Weltmeisters are too limited. I'm getting closer, and yeah, I had my doubts about the mahogany. I play weekly at a local nursing home. I currently use a keytar with mostly self made background tracks. I use a Kontakt library for an accordion sound which kind of works. I guess my search will continue, and yes, I'll have to plan a mini vacation to the Twin Cities - closest shop to where I live. I still want a decent box that I can easily carry and is not tethered to speakers, a computer, etc. It would be fun to stroll the local seasonal craft fair with it during the summer months. Key factors for me are light weight (my old accordion is 21 pounds - not going to happen) and decent sound.

Well, not a lot more expensive than the Serenellini. This investment will probably be the last accordion I buy. I'm looking to cover both bases now. Something that will work with Slovenian style polkas AND get that light happy musette sound. The little Weltmeisters are too limited. I'm getting closer, and yeah, I had my doubts about the mahogany. I play weekly at a local nursing home. I currently use a keytar with mostly self made background tracks. I use a Kontakt library for an accordion sound which kind of works. I guess my search will continue, and yes, I'll have to plan a mini vacation to the Twin Cities - closest shop to where I live. I still want a decent box that I can easily carry and is not tethered to speakers, a computer, etc. It would be fun to stroll the local seasonal craft fair with it during the summer months. Key factors for me are light weight (my old accordion is 21 pounds - not going to happen) and decent sound.
Have you been to World of Accordions? Closer than Accordion Heaven. Although it sounds like you’re looking for a new accordion, World of Accordions (Superior) is definitely worth checking out. Not sure who makes those “Planets” for Mahler but they sure seem nice, hope you’re super well heeled, way over my budget!!!! Good luck!

I'd have to add there have been quality concerns about Gabbanelli for years now. They were/are infamous for representing finest quality reeds at those eye- watering prices only for people to open up their $5,000 or $6,000 Gabb and find ordinary Durall macchina in there. They used to state "finest handmade reeds" in writing on the site, but that language seems to have vanished, possibly due to issues along these lines. Also internal construction issues per rumor.

The principal in Texas with the "legendary" last name was notorious for declining to give specs in writing. It was all, "Call me," for the sell. The later unproveable representations. The word about Gabb is, buyer beware, get specs in writing, see the insides before forking out that kind of $$$. No one should pay those prices without written information about reed grade at minimum.

Supposedly the also eye-wateringly priced Hohner Anacleto line (the PAs are the "Hohner Anacleto Latino" models) was launched to provide a quality alternative to naive border-region players who were being "had" by the Gabb mystique. The Anacletos are also overpriced IMHO, but at least they will put the reed grade in writing, and that grade is a mano.

Serenellini and Brandoni have long and respected reputations. They will specify what you are getting reedwise for your $$$. They will stand by their work. A Serenellini or Brandoni with hand reeds is an investment but a quality one.

For folk/roots, there is also nothing wrong with good, solid Italian Super-Durall reeds---that is, at appropriate prices. For Durall reeds, one of the nice Ottavianelli or Pietanesi LMM 30/72 LMMs is a quality instrument at thousands less than getting "had" by Gabb for reeds of the same grade. Heck, LB has two 30/72 Beltunas on sale right now for $3500 each. Don't buy the Texas line of cha-cha!

Last edited:
I'd have to add there have been quality concerns about Gabbanelli for years now. They were/are infamous for representing finest quality reeds at those eye- watering prices only for people to open up their $5,000 or $6,000 Gabb and find ordinary Durall macchina in there. They used to state "finest handmade reeds" in writing on the site, but that language seems to have vanished, possibly due to issues along these lines. Also internal construction issues per rumor.

The principal in Texas with the "legendary" last name was notorious for declining to give specs in writing. It was all, "Call me," for the sell. The later unproveable representations. The word about Gabb is, buyer beware, get specs in writing, see the insides before forking out that kind of $$$. No one should pay those prices without written information about reed grade at minimum.

Supposedly the also eye-wateringly priced Hohner Anacleto line (the PAs are the "Hohner Anacleto Latino" models) was launched to provide a quality alternative to naive border-region players who were being "had" by the Gabb mystique. The Anacletos are also overpriced IMHO, but at least they will put the reed grade in writing.

Serenellini and Brandoni have long and respected reputations. They will specify what you are getting reedwise for your $$$. They will stand by their work. A Serenellini or Brandoni with hand reeds is an investment but a quality one.

For Durall reeds, one of the nice Ottavianelli or Pietanesi LMM 30/72 LMMs is a quality instrument at thousands less than getting "had" by Gabb for reeds of the same grade. Heck, LB has two 30/72 Beltunas on sale right now for $3500 each. Don't buy the Texas line of cha-cha!
Love my Piatanesi(s). I’m sure I could have shelled out a couple grand more for the Mano, but I’m ok with the durall. At least I know what I have.

If you wanted a tide-me-over, I see Petosa has an "as-new" rated Weltmeister 30/60 LMM Kristall model in its used listings for under $2,000. Full-size keys, 15 lbs. The demo video is delightful.

Back