• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

What glue for grill cloth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What kind of glue do you use when replacing grill cloth? Is it a glue or more of a paste?

I use Fabri-Tac glue and thin it with acetone. I then apply it with a brush.

The Fabri-Tac is good for an aluminium grille (covered with celluloid or paint on the outside). If the grille is wood or celluloid, use white (pva) glue. If the grille is celluloid then you can absolutely not use any glue with acetone as it will dissolve the celluloid!
Never apply the glue directly to the grille. You apply the glue onto a sheet of paper or a piece of cloth (not the decorative cloth for the grille) and then press the paper or cloth on the inside of the grille to transfer the glue to the grille only where the glue needs to go. Remove the paper/cloth and then put the decorative cloth on.

In most cases accordion grills will be an aluminum stamping with an exterior of celluoid. There are grills out there that are all
injected molded plastic and I then use this for bonding. --

the composition of the selected grille cloth should also be considered.. seldom is a nice airy cloth made without manmade materials, nowadays.. (ie:stuff that can melt from certain chemicals)

have you considered a fine brass screen material ¿?
it holds its shape as you form it in and looks really good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back