• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

What else do you listen to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a big fan of Portuguese Fado.
Mariza is pretty much Portugal's ambassador to the world. When she appeared on the David Letterman Show, Letterman seemed to be making fun of her with his introduction. After she performed he appeared humbled and had a difficult time looking her in the eye.

So, Mimmo wins the competition for most unusual beard while playing a Baby K cover. Not sure what to think about this.

I have just listened to Reinhold Gliere's The Red Poppy all the way through, after being reminded of it by 'Yablochko' popp[y]ing up in the Sad Folk Songs thread a couple days ago. (Gliere's arrangement of that song as the Russian Sailors Dance at the end of Act I is the only number most people ever hear from it.) Lots of good music including a few numbers I wish I could get hold of scores of.

I listened to an audio-only version on youtube () but if you are so inclined you can find modern restagings of the ballet on youtube too.

So, Mimmo wins the competition for most unusual beard while playing a Baby K cover. Not sure what to think about this.

nice

I almost forgot about him

our viewers at home (the kids) shifted from Mimmo to Bob the Builder

Reactions: Tom
He's a good accordionist but he reminds me of a younger Yasser Arafat? (No one probably remembers who that was?

Reactions: Tom
Youtube just recommended a string quartet by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov to me.

It is, in all fairness, not anything exceptionally special-sounding -- but I've never heard any chamber music at all by him, only operas and pieces for full orchestra. I didn't even know he had ever written any.

I had a very similar reaction several years ago when I discovered that Gioacchino Rossini had written quite a bit of chamber music in addition to the operas he's famous for. Some of it at a shockingly young age... very good chamber music from a teenage composer.

Actually, if you're only going to listen to one bit of new music today, you'll probably enjoy a few minutes of tthe Rossini more than the Rimsky-Korsakov. I include links to both.

I like a fairly wide variety of music. But some of my favorites are indie rock and indie folk. While sailing I frequently listen to Quincy Jones big band bossa nova or Dave Pike. Towards evening I occasionally enjoy Baroque period music. I like a lot of 60/70s rock and pop as well as 80s post punk/new wave. I like most jazz before the 70s, but not modern โ€œsmooth jazzโ€.

I like a fairly wide variety of music. But some of my favorites are indie rock and indie folk. While sailing I frequently listen to Quincy Jones big band bossa nova or Dave Pike. Towards evening I occasionally enjoy Baroque period music. I like a lot of 60/70s rock and pop as well as 80s post punk/new wave. I like most jazz before the 70s, but not modern โ€œsmooth jazzโ€.
Interesting! Which accordion music do you like to listen to?

Interesting! Which accordion music do you like to listen to?
You're making me introspect a bit Tom, that's good. I assume you are referring to music that is traditionally associated with accordions. Since starting to study accordion again I've listened to more strictly "accordion" music than I had in about the previous 20 years. Before that on rare occasions I would look up a video for a song like dark eyes or a tango because I wanted to hear it, and if there was a accordionist playing live somewhere I would hang around and enjoy the show. During that time I was occasionally playing accordion for myself, mostly my own songs and maybe practice a few Christmas songs around the holidays. Now that I'm studying my focus is on developing my skills on the instrument so I'm learning the regular tangos, waltzes, and polkas (and that's about the order in which I prefer them). I don't dislike polka music or anything, it goes great with beer and friends. I just have to be in a really specific mood to want to listen to it by myself. I also have slight concern about validating the common (at least where I live) misconception that polka is the ONLY music the accordion is suitable to play. I am happy to learn how to play tangos, waltzes and polkas to develop my skills and I plan to keep these songs available to play, it isn't my intention to be an expert in these styles. My goal with the accordion is to be able to play at a reasonable level of skill many of the styles of music I like. This will let me best utilize the instrument in my original compositions and allow me to go out with a single instrument and entertain people. I think I'm approaching the point where I can start trying to tackle some baroque pieces. I really like the sound of this but I have a suspicion the skill level required to play it will elude me.
The thing I like about indie music is that it has a very wide aesthetic, taking cues from a wide variety of existing styles of music. There are several bands in this genre that use accordions in various degrees (even though they are using them I think they could use them in a better way ;-) ). I wouldn't call this "accordion" music but a lot of it can be adapted to accordion. This is the kind of music I write mostly.

Some Indie bands using accordions

"Indie music??
Independent music (often referred to as indie music or indie) is music produced independently from commercial record labels or their subsidiaries, a process that may include an autonomous, do-it-yourself approach to recording and publishing."
Right: now we're on the same page!??
And there I was thinking it was something peculiar to Indiana!?

You're making me introspect a bit Tom, that's good. I assume you are referring to music that is traditionally associated with accordions. Since starting to study accordion again I've listened to more strictly "accordion" music than I had in about the previous 20 years. Before that on rare occasions I would look up a video for a song like dark eyes or a tango because I wanted to hear it, and if there was a accordionist playing live somewhere I would hang around and enjoy the show. During that time I was occasionally playing accordion for myself, mostly my own songs and maybe practice a few Christmas songs around the holidays. Now that I'm studying my focus is on developing my skills on the instrument so I'm learning the regular tangos, waltzes, and polkas (and that's about the order in which I prefer them). I don't dislike polka music or anything, it goes great with beer and friends. I just have to be in a really specific mood to want to listen to it by myself. I also have slight concern about validating the common (at least where I live) misconception that polka is the ONLY music the accordion is suitable to play. I am happy to learn how to play tangos, waltzes and polkas to develop my skills and I plan to keep these songs available to play, it isn't my intention to be an expert in these styles. My goal with the accordion is to be able to play at a reasonable level of skill many of the styles of music I like. This will let me best utilize the instrument in my original compositions and allow me to go out with a single instrument and entertain people. I think I'm approaching the point where I can start trying to tackle some baroque pieces. I really like the sound of this but I have a suspicion the skill level required to play it will elude me.
The thing I like about indie music is that it has a very wide aesthetic, taking cues from a wide variety of existing styles of music. There are several bands in this genre that use accordions in various degrees (even though they are using them I think they could use them in a better way ;-) ). I wouldn't call this "accordion" music but a lot of it can be adapted to accordion. This is the kind of music I write mostly.

Some Indie bands using accordionsculture
Interesting! I'm always curious about people who don't have accordion music in their culture but learn to play.. My background music was always rock (now known as "classic") and Americana, but I started playing accordion where old time waltzes and polkas were still a thing and the local accordion club (which I co-founded) was heavy on the "accordion industrial complex" repertoire of the 50s and 60s due to the nature of our co-founder, more experienced than me. But now I listen to almost exclusively Italian and Brazilian contemporary styles. A wholesale update of my repertoire is in order but where to turn? Adapt rock songs of my life? Turn to another cultural style? Make up my own tunes? It's a conundrum to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back