• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Two keys not sounding on one register when bellows are squeezed,everything else OK

you will need to open it up and identify which reeds are connected with those notes on that register. The reed tounges may be stuck or the leather valves may not be operating correctly.

Thank you for prompt reply. There are 3 blocks of reeds, can you tell me how I might determine which reed block I might look at. Forgive my ignorance as I have yet to work out how the registers work on each reed block, once I have identified the reed I can then proceed to unblock it, as these notes work fine on any other register settings so I am puzzled how they do not function only on this particular register when bellows are aqueezed, they operate fine when bellows expanded.

To add to Ben-Jammin's advice: The reed(s) not playing when the bellows are being pressed means its the reeds on the outside of the reedblocks (which makes things easier). It's very likely that 'pinging' the reeds with a feeler blade or knife blade will cure the problem.
You say the problem is only on one register which narrows it down to either the coupler playing the low bass reed OR the coupler playing the single middle reed.
If notes A and B are the problem it's likely the faulty reeds are on the reed block nearest the front of the accordion or on the reed block in the middle, on the side nearest the front. It's possible to identify the faulty reeds without even opening the accordion. You can press the A or B key and if you look underneath it you will see which coupler is 'open'.
(Sorry if this is a bit complicated and English is not your first language).

Last edited:
You have to remove all the reeds, the reason it is out of tune, is hard wax and loose reeds.
Then new wax and new leather valves. Big job, if you are resonnabel handy it is possible.
But not easy. Good luck
Unless I missed a post because of the limitations for posting by new members The OP hasnt mentioned tuning issues. Only non responsive reeds. It’s likely an accordion that age may be past due for new wax/leathers, but I don’t think doing so will be required for the problem described here.

Thank you for prompt reply. There are 3 blocks of reeds, can you tell me how I might determine which reed block I might look at. Forgive my ignorance as I have yet to work out how the registers work on each reed block, once I have identified the reed I can then proceed to unblock it, as these notes work fine on any other register settings so I am puzzled how they do not function only on this particular register when bellows are aqueezed, they operate fine when bellows expanded.
If you haven’t found it yet when you press the notes you will see three holes under the valve controlled by the key. When the register is selected only one of the three holes will be open. That will correspond to the reed set with the issue.

Back