• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

What else do you listen to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this thread is still active I'll jump in again.
I find myself searching YouTube for groups I've seen & heard from the 50's to the 70's.
I found a group I watched and listened to in 1958 in the resort town of East Lime, CT when I was 12 years old.
The accordionist in the group doesn't use his left hand as the group has musicians using chords & bass.

Too many choices. I'll settle for three "types" and save much wear & tear on my keyboard keys.

One. Really like the sounds and voices of tamburica orchestras. My sister played the mid-range brac during high school when she was a member of the Waukegan Tamburitzans. Her instrument was the single 4-stringed model. I have an LP (yes, vinyl), which this orchestra made. My sister is included in the pictures on the album cover. A really nice family memory adds to the enjoyment of these lively songs.

Two. I still play traditional Serbian kolos on my accordion. There was a Serbian man, whom my Dad knew, that composed original kolos. I have about 1/2 dozen of these. They are written in blue ink on manuscript paper, and signed. As a young person, they were a fun challenge to learn. One of the very few things my Dad liked about music was to hear me play kolos.

Three. In the last year or so I have been listening to recordings featuring ladies with soprano voices. My wife sang the soprano parts in the duets or trios, which I backed up with my accordion in our church's music ministry. Absolutely love the crystalline sounds of a gifted soprano. One example I especially enjoy is this vocalist I discovered just a couple of years ago, Sissel Kyrkjebø. This redition of "Shenandoah" is my favorite, and especially like the two main supporting instruments. I fairly often "cross the wide Missouri" since I live about 20 minutes from this river. Never fail to hum this song while I drive. Shenandoah

Last edited:
For finding new music and artists I find Bandcamp really good. Lots of excellent music by people who you've probably never heard of but really do deserve a listen. Lots of artists are self-publishing on Bandcamp and for any music you buy the site pays the artist directly.

Here's one of my finds on there; Sahalé, an electronic music producer from Paris who mixes African beats with electronic music.

I've never really thought of Oldfield as a minimalist.
I didn't either until I got into 'minimalism' i.e. the music of Steve Reich, Philip Glass and Terry Riley particularly, and noticed a kinship with Oldfield in some pieces; the repetition, building up and exploring of phrases specifically. Reading up on it I found out that 'Tubular Bells' was specifically inspired & influenced by Riley's 'A Rainbow in Curved Air'! Riley plays all the instruments himself. Of course I then bought a copy, but it's not one of my favourite pieces of music.

Minimalism is not a good description of the music, and I don't think it was embraced by the 'minimalists' mentioned above, but it stuck anyway.

I don't understand a word of it, but what a voice!?
And...yes...there is an accordion in the backing group!

One more (3.7 million views)

Last edited:
What do you listen?

In the morning I listen to flemish Radio2/West-Vlaanderen, today with their app I can listen to them almost all over the world ... local news from where I was born + pop music, both flemish and international.

Later in the day: french and flemish chanson, and some international too ...

I like all kinds of music styles, from classical to pop music, folk, celtic, jazz.

I love the pop classics, for personal memories and moments in life. Pop music from the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s,...

The Four Tops "Reach out I'll be there"
Peter Maffay "Du"
Rolling Stones "Angie"
the list is endless...

For years I have enjoyed listening to the Flemish radio for "La vie est Riguelle".
A radio series about French chansons in la douce France by Jan Hautekiet and Patrick Riguelle. They tell anecdotes about the life of the singers and songwriters, and spice up the series with funny details and silly jokes. It's very relaxing and always a pleasure, a bit dolce far niente.

Last year I have watched some Fleadh Irish videos online, a fan of trad music.

Giorgio Cerione. "Angelo Mio," a n accordion waltz.

This and other sheet music and backing tracks are available here:

I listen to a lot of different genres. I started out as a double bass player and loved to play as much music as possible.

Here is a video of an orchestra that I was a member of for a few years. I had some health issues that affected my vision, so I took a year off. That turned into several years and I really need to get my chops back. I am all the way on the right side of the video.

Here is a salsa group that I did before that (also playing bass):

Before that, I was really into jazz, but unfortunately that was before camera phones.

I also listen to country, opera and surprisingly (even to me) I enjoy Christian metal for when I'm at the gym.

Last edited:
Nick,
You're really into it!?
Love your young audience in clip 2??
(Knobby, take notice!?)
All good!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back