• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

What acoustic open jams in Western Washington are accordions welcomed in?

Mike t.

Reaction score
As a PA I’ve been welcomed by WAMA and WOTFA, I play some back-up, some lead, always ask “am I too loud”? It was odd the old time fiddlers had few members after Covid and were very welcoming in my district. The two groups overlap on a lot of their music genres and the WAMA (Washington acoustic music association) also has a slow jam and regular jam every month. It’s been a great experience, what out of the way jams do you play in?🎶Mike t.

Sounds good for you Mike! I’ve been to a couple jams around my area but don’t do that well because I don’t play well by ear. Mostly they are Americana/bluegrass, mainly guitars. Too many opportunities, not enough time.

Sounds good for you Mike! I’ve been to a couple jams around my area but don’t do that well because I don’t play well by ear. Mostly they are Americana/bluegrass, mainly guitars. Too many opportunities, not enough time.
Most all the members in both jam groups play with sheet music or an IPad in front of them, there are a few that can do all by ear or by memory. I can play chords with the right hand along with the left on songs we play all the time but still really depend on music in front of me. I call it playing boom-chuck back-up. They only sing a couple of songs every jam with groups or single people playing lead between verses. I have been to one other jam and they had no music in front of them. I played mostly chords there. I wasn’t very comfortable there. Mike t.

Most all the members in both jam groups play with sheet music or an IPad in front of them, there are a few that can do all by ear or by memory. I can play chords with the right hand along with the left on songs we play all the time but still really depend on music in front of me. I call it playing boom-chuck back-up. They only sing a couple of songs every jam with groups or single people playing lead between verses. I have been to one other jam and they had no music in front of them. I played mostly chords there. I wasn’t very comfortable there. Mike t.
Interesting, thanks. Yeah, I guess if I had a tablet where I could get chords it would be easier. Generally at the jams here you go around the circle and people call out a song. Then people take turns playing a solo break. Definitely a learned skill. I just stuck to “noodling” in scale/melody notes. I could get it if I spent more time but I am so focused this year on repertoire. Good luck!

Back