• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Acoustic vs digital free bass

breezybellows

Reaction score
I played the Bach Prelude in C Major and Yann Tiersen's Comptine d'un autre été (Amelie) on my acoustic and digital accordions. Both these songs use the Free Bass mode on the left hand.

While using the digital accordion, I used the Piano sound setting. Which one do you like? I like both of them equally.

The playing and the sound quality are excellent in both versions.

But I wish we would call these new instruments something other than "digital accordions," so that when we saw something labeled as an accordion recording or performance, we could be sure of what we would hear.

The piano world successfully did this. .There are all manner of digital instruments with piano-like keyboards out there... but these are always called 'keyboards' or 'synthesizers' or various other terms; the name "digital piano" or "electric piano" is strictly reserved for a digital instrument dedicated to reproducing the piano-playing experience as faithfully as it can (timbre, the tactile sensation of the key presses, the relationship between keypress intensity and volume).

The playing and the sound quality are excellent in both versions.

But I wish we would call these new instruments something other than "digital accordions," so that when we saw something labeled as an accordion recording or performance, we could be sure of what we would hear.

The piano world successfully did this. .There are all manner of digital instruments with piano-like keyboards out there... but these are always called 'keyboards' or 'synthesizers' or various other terms; the name "digital piano" or "electric piano" is strictly reserved for a digital instrument dedicated to reproducing the piano-playing experience as faithfully as it can (timbre, the tactile sensation of the key presses, the relationship between keypress intensity and volume).
Digital squeezebox? Accordion synthesizer? You bring up a valid point.

Which one do you like?
Well Joseph, we've had many little conversations about accordions in recent weeks and I think we are able to give honest opinions to each other about music, accordion sounds, designs etc.

Firstly, I have to say that you play very well and most importantly, you are highly MUSICAL, because you bring the notes on the page to life when you play. If a person can do that I personally don't mind what kind of instrument they play. Musicality matters more than systems or methods of sound generation.

Secondly, I consider both renditions to be lovely. However, I personally think an accordion player should, if possible, always have one acoustic accordion option, which you do. You have many fine and rare accordions! However, I don't dismiss the digital accordion because it can be an instrument to give different sound options - like the piano tone you have used in the performance, which was really quite lovely.

If I am to give any more 'in depth' analysis, I would say the Giulietti is great and has a noble tone, but that the 45 key keyboard is long. I like the 41 key size best. If someone needs the extra 4 notes, I think 19mm or even 18mm key width instead, can make it more compact. Regarding the Evo, it's spot-on for you.​

Last edited:
Well Joseph, we've had many little conversations about accordions in recent weeks and I think we are able to give honest opinions to each other about music, accordion sounds, designs etc.

Firstly, I have to say that you play very well and most importantly, you are highly MUSICAL, because you bring the notes on the page to life when you play. If a person can do that I personally don't mind what kind of instrument they play. Musicality matters more than systems or methods of sound generation.

Secondly, I consider both renditions to be lovely. However, I personally think an accordion player should, if possible, always have one acoustic accordion option, which you do. You have many fine and rare accordions! However, I don't dismiss the digital accordion because it can be an instrument to give different sound options - like the piano tone you have used in the performance, which was really quite lovely.

If I am to give any more 'in depth' analysis, I would say the Giulietti is great and has a noble tone, but that the 45 key keyboard is long. I like the 41 key size best. If someone needs the extra 4 notes, I think 19mm or even 18mm key width instead, can make it more compact. Regarding the Evo, it's spot-on for you.​
Yeah. That giulietti is big. I have that as an option when I'll need an extended range. I also notice that the body isn't as thick as other converter accordions. So it's actually a little easier to handle.

I like acoustic accordion :) - although I have played on digital many times...
Voice timbre, feeling, expression - you play very good. I feel more emotions when you play with Giulietti.

Maybe in a similar spirit to the keyboard, it could be called a keybox :)

I like acoustic accordion :) - although I have played on digital many times...
Voice timbre, feeling, expression - you play very good. I feel more emotions when you play with Giulietti.
I have the same feeling when I play acoustic. Digital is fun but acoustic is more satisfying. I'm not able to put my finger on any obvious reasons for why it's more satisfying but it is.

I think that playing a digital can seem more "antiseptic" but that comes down to expecting a digital to act and work like an acoustic... which is simply not possible.

Now, I am not saying that getting expression out of a digital is not possible, that is NOT what I am saying. I am saying that it takes greater control and awareness to get an equal level of feeling from a digital vs an acoustic, but the results can be just as satisfying. It's easy to get lazy with the digital, letting it do all the work for you (often guilty myself, so I know... lol). :D

I think that playing a digital can seem more "antiseptic" but that comes down to expecting a digital to act and work like an acoustic... which is simply not possible.

Now, I am not saying that getting expression out of a digital is not possible, that is NOT what I am saying. I am saying that it takes greater control and awareness to get an equal level of feeling from a digital vs an acoustic, but the results can be just as satisfying. It's easy to get lazy with the digital, letting it do all the work for you (often guilty myself, so I know... lol). :D
I wasn't referring to musicality. I'm not able to put this to words but it's the feeling I get when I play real reeds. When I write songs, I like the sound of the digital accordion better. I feel more connected when I play acoustic accordion.

Last edited:
The Digital is quicker, but for an Acoustic to play like a Digital, you'd have to change the Regular Reeds out to Harmonica reeds which are thinner & don't need as much air so the bellows will move quicker.

Back